Active Now

Echooos
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Language » To what extent are you offended by swearing/cursing/cussing/foul language? Are you okay with some 'bad' words, but not others?

To what extent are you offended by swearing/cursing/cussing/foul language? Are you okay with some 'bad' words, but not others?

This could be a really funny poll. 

Posted - November 10, 2018

Responses

I'm not really bothered by cursing. As I've said before, we have the no cursing policy here because the majority wanted it, and I see absolutely no harm in having it since it's always possible to get one's point across without cursing. 

That said, I also agree with some of the other posts about the audience. I do get aggravated when people curse around kids, and I also don't think it'd appropriate in many other situations. Plus, it gets lame and repetitive when someone is dropping an f-bomb every two minutes.  
      November 10, 2018 11:40 AM MST

I think there's a time and a place. Along with not appreciating it around young children, it also bothers me to hear it in a business setting. It's unprofessional in most work settings. 

November 10, 2018 9:08 PM MST

• I have a very low tolerance for truly foul language.  Growing up the most bad words I heard from my parents were "dammit, bastard, Hell, Son of a bitch, and sh-t."  Anything outside of that group gets a thumbs down from me! The occasion movie F word must evidently be tolerated lol.  The worst profanity, that makes my stomach roll is sexual profanity!  UGH! I don't tolerate those words from anybody! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 10, 2018 9:09 PM MST
      November 10, 2018 12:49 PM MST

Lol! You'd better edit this reply again, or it might get deleted! You've forgotten to ** most of the words your parents used. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by sexual profanity, other than F*ck. Do you mean slang terms for genitals or ??? 

November 10, 2018 9:13 PM MST

It's very common in London....I often hear the well to do so called  Toffs using expletives and they just can't get it right .....Most pubic school oinks really think they are the bees knees when they swear ,but if they knew how pathetic they sounded ,they stop doing it.... With other more common folk it sounds far more normal...its almost expected of them and no big thing.....I find it almost humours to hear it someones just missed the bus or taxi and they do say it out of frustration ....
    There is always the possibility that I think have used a few at times......   But i can always wait a bit to calm down before answering Randy D's comments.....:( 
      November 10, 2018 1:31 PM MST

Yeah, Brits swear a LOT! I'm amazed by the flagrant use of the C word, even! It's pretty shocking to Americans; that's the one word that we still haven't embraced. :)
      November 10, 2018 9:15 PM MST

It depends which part of Britain, and which social segment. As a middle-class Northerner, the C word makes my ears bleed. It's probably more acceptable in poorer communities, and people from London and the South-East seem to use it more flagrantly, although I'm told the Scots are even less inhibited about it.

I remember reading about the Ken Loach film "The Angels' Share" (set in Scotland) which was denied a 15 certificate - the British Board of Film Classification had a guideline that more than 5 uses of the C word was enough to upgrade it to 18. The film-makers tried to justify it by saying that in Scotland it's much more a part of everyday speech and in context might not always be offensive. But in the end it got released as a 15  with cuts.
      December 2, 2018 1:49 AM MST

Probably depends on the individual, too, I guess. My good friend is also a Northerner, and seemingly middle class, and I don't think he's phased by it. 

I was confused by your reference to 15 and 18 certificates, but inferred that it must be about the age of the recommended viewer? The use of even 1 'C' word would automatically make a film rated R here; which means anyone under 17 must be with a parent. Out of curiosity, I just checked and if the 'F' word is used more than 3 times or as a verb, a film can't get a PG-13 rating. 
      December 2, 2018 2:59 AM MST

There are some words I find  foul, and the OVER use of profanity tends to  bugs me.  In general, people  "cussing"  doesn't bother me at at all.  I find it very satisfying,  myself,  to use  one   when I  really  mean it. 
      November 10, 2018 1:33 PM MST

Yes. If over-used, they can lose their effect, I agree. 

November 11, 2018 7:57 AM MST

inn nnore offended by what people do and not what they say
      November 10, 2018 2:15 PM MST

Excellent point, Pearl! 
      November 10, 2018 9:16 PM MST

I would rather not hear it as it is unpleasant.  But I recognize that some people think they are somehow being expressive by using it or they think they are being true to themselves or something like that. 
      November 10, 2018 3:40 PM MST

You're not alone. Many people do find it unpleasant. 

Some people find tattoos and piercings unpleasant, others think they're being true to themselves or expressing themselves. Same goes for wearing revealing clothing in public. 

To each their own, right? :)
      November 10, 2018 9:20 PM MST

I'm not offended at all. 

#desensitized
      November 10, 2018 4:10 PM MST

#same

Except the "C" word. I still find that one pretty shocking to hear. Not really offended by it anymore, but it's still shocking. 
      November 10, 2018 9:22 PM MST

This is soley based on where and when.

The words themselves are not good nor bad.  But when using them causes misunderstanding or hurt, then do not use them.

Sometimes they can be very funny.  And it must be done in front of others who understand why the words are being used.  

Of course, not swearing is the safest route.  There is certainly no reason to have to do it.
      November 10, 2018 9:01 PM MST

While it doesn't offend me personally, I appreciate that others may be offended. 

I agree with you. It's like calling a stranger "b*tch" versus calling your bff "b*tch". Context is important. 

November 10, 2018 9:25 PM MST

• I'm not typically offended by that type of language and I do think expletives serve a purpose in certain contexts. That being said, I'm generally not a fan of overly-sanitized environments.
      November 10, 2018 10:43 PM MST

Yep, yep, yep. I agree with you. 

I don't mind using ** here, though. You're still able to get your point across. 
      November 11, 2018 7:51 AM MST

• I feel stifled when my foul mouth isn't allowed to run freely lol. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 11, 2018 9:56 AM MST
      November 11, 2018 9:56 AM MST

There is a time and place for everything.....plus don't forget.....sticks and stones will break my bones but words can never hurt me......unless they strike a nerve that is....in that case they become very cutting I feel......:)D 
      December 2, 2018 3:39 AM MST

XYZ the adjectival expletive of an illegal, unprintable and highly improbable obscenity. I delete all over your censored.

It actually doesn't bother me. Billy Connolly and Frankie Boyle have me in stitches, despite throwing the f-bomb around like confetti. I think f**k is Glaswegian for "the". I'm not keen on overdoing it, however. F**k and c**t are the strongest expletives there are, so should only be for extreme emphasis - a mild one like "damn" is an exclamation point, but the f word is double underlining with a row of asterisks. If overused it loses its punch, and then if you need the emphasis you have nowhere to go, you've blown your wad, so to speak.

That said, I don't like hearing it in front of children or their grandmothers. There's a time and a place. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at December 3, 2018 6:35 PM MST
      December 2, 2018 5:01 AM MST

I know people who say f*ck all the time and even occasionally say the C word, but they would never say and are highly offended by Godd*mn. It's a religious thing with them. 

In the end, they're just rather generic words and aren't usually thrown around in a way that are specifically offensive any particular group of people. (Unlike racial slurs and words like fag*ot and reta*d, which are definitely offensive to particular groups, yet many people don't take issue with those words). 

December 3, 2018 6:46 PM MST