Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Can you give me a reason why someone wouldn't love you?

Can you give me a reason why someone wouldn't love you?

Posted - November 22, 2018

Responses

• "Because I don't share my ice cream."

November 22, 2018 9:36 PM MST

It probably has cat hairs in it anyway.  It's all yours.
      November 22, 2018 9:56 PM MST

• True and true.  :)
      November 23, 2018 10:40 AM MST

I can give you 100.
      November 22, 2018 9:51 PM MST

I'll bet there are 100 more why they would, I do...and I don't need a reason.
      November 22, 2018 9:55 PM MST

Well you and I?  Who can come between that magic? LOL 

November 22, 2018 9:57 PM MST

You are so sweet.
      November 22, 2018 10:03 PM MST

Don't spread that around.  My reputation will be dinged.

November 22, 2018 10:23 PM MST

I am bossy and controlling.
      November 23, 2018 3:49 AM MST

I am a beotch and control nothing.  

May we co-exist in harmony forever.
      November 23, 2018 3:51 AM MST

Why someone would not love me?

Too many reasons, it all boils down to chemistry - they either have it or they do not. 

Why they are attracted to me is a whole 'nother question.  I still have a few too many "undesirable's" hitting on me.  My partner some days is amused other days it pisses her off. 
      November 23, 2018 4:38 AM MST

Well for this site - my conservative political views.  I grew up in another day age and age. 
      November 23, 2018 4:40 AM MST

I grew up on a working Ranch and love Red Meat -
    I am living with and a co-parent with a way younger woman
    I am unrepentant in too many areas

I think they may hate me more than you
      November 23, 2018 5:02 AM MST

Do you mean people in general or people on this site or your cohabitant and child?   Why do you think they may hate you?  Because you won't repent?  Of what?  Certainly nothing sinful about a working ranch or red meat or being a co-parent. 
      November 23, 2018 5:30 AM MST

A number of people in general, especially a few of the more Liberal denizens of NYC.  We get grief because my partner is younger, the fact we love meat is a no-no, the list of our transgressions is long
      November 24, 2018 11:52 PM MST

Goodness people will find anything to pick on. 
      November 25, 2018 5:51 AM MST

Nobody here hates officegirl.
      November 23, 2018 8:57 AM MST

No did not mean they hate me but just might be reason they would not love me. 
      November 25, 2018 6:22 AM MST

have no idea
      November 23, 2018 11:38 AM MST

Nope.
    I can give you many. 
    But, like the others here have stated, the reasons are rather irrelevant. Some of it is just differing beliefs. Some of it is lack of chemistry. We aren't going to love everyone we meet. That's ok, so long as we can respect and tolorate each other. 
      November 23, 2018 3:57 PM MST

I can think of 2 possible reasons.  One - I didn't flash my dimples.  Two I didn't flash my sad puppy dog eyes.  Cheers and happy weekend!
      November 23, 2018 4:25 PM MST

Because I would always choose cheesecake over them.
      November 23, 2018 4:39 PM MST

It would be unwise of me to think of one and maybe and impossibility too.....:)D
      November 23, 2018 5:46 PM MST

If by "you" you mean the me who answers this question, there is no reason. I am loved by my husband and friends.

Others might not love me for all sorts of reasons:
    Their lives are already filled up with enough people to love.
    They don't share the same values, goals, interests or mutually reciprocal needs.
    Not knowing an acquaintance well-enough, I might have inadvertently said something that triggered their issues.
    Someone has major issues, behaves in a loud and aggressive or abusive manner generally, and so I avoid them.
    Here, the whole site is too "light" - real love doesn't get a chance because there's no depth of interaction - people don't get the chance to really know each other. 
    (at least not here on the main board - if the comments of others are anything to go by, not elsewhere or in private either.)

If by "you" you mean one or any person,
    I believe to be loved one must first give love but only to the right recipient. Some people are not capable of love; they've never been loved and don't know what it is.
    Also, there's no point (unless you're aiming for sainthood) in trying to give love to an addict, a narcissist, a psychotic, or someone out of their mind - because they are not capable of loving in return.

I like "The Road Less Travelled" by M. Scott Peck. In it, he describes love as an action, not a feeling. When one regularly and reliably does things that nurture the well-being of the other, this naturally causes love to grow - both ways. One feels love as result of acting in a loving way; the other responds with gratitude, good-will and the kind of deep, warm, fuzzy sensation that we tend to call love. They are also highly likely to respond in kind by doing whatever they can to nurture our well-being.

Examples:
    Listening carefully and without interrupting when the other person needs to talk or is experiencing an intense emotion - and not giving advice, judgement or commentary (unless asked.)
    Sharing good times together (without alcohol or drugs) - movie, a meal out, walk on a beach or out in nature or somewhere beautiful and peaceful, games, reading aloud from topics of interest and discussing them, shared hobbies/projects etc.
    Cooking a delicious and healthy meal to share.
    Offering practical help with problems that the other cannot manage alone.
    Encouraging the other in their interests, other friendships, personal development and creativity.
    Never trying to change the other - acceptance of them as they are - respect for their autonomy and freedom.
    Neither dominating nor allowing oneself to be dominated - good, clear boundaries with appropriate flexibility.
    Openness, honesty (NVC style) and responsibility.
    Not carrying grudges from past mistakes.
    If one can do these things most of the time in any relationship, and make immediate amends for any mistake, love grows naturally.

If a person is emotionally healthy and hence capable of love but doesn't love a particular other - in my view - it's because of the relative absence of most of the above in that relationship.

This post was edited by inky at November 25, 2018 7:38 AM MST
      November 23, 2018 10:58 PM MST