Active Now

Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Can one only be so sure of themselves before faltering?

Can one only be so sure of themselves before faltering?

Posted - November 25, 2018

Responses

Yes, I think one can only be so sure of themselves anyway.. we can have a tendency to imagine we are invincible - I always thought that.. . but we aren't. We sometimes learn this the hard way 
      November 25, 2018 9:18 AM MST

probably
      November 25, 2018 2:40 PM MST

I think the more sure a person is of themselves, the more likely it is that they will make mistakes out of assumptions and arrogance.
    The old saying, "pride comes before..." comes to mind.
      November 25, 2018 7:16 PM MST

one = singular
      themselves = plural

(Can one be so sure of themselves himself or herself)

November 25, 2018 9:19 PM MST

Agreed. I considered writing, "I think the more sure a person is of himself or herself, the more likely it is that he or she will make mistakes out of assumptions and arrogance." I thought it sounded cumbersome and deliberately opted for the colloquial form.

The Oxford grammar says that due to the awkwardness of constructions requiring both himself and herself, English is increasingly using "themselves" where the gender of the singular is unknown and therefore may be either masculine or feminine. This is, in part, a result of the shifts towards "politically" correct language which are increasingly becoming normalised. It is regarded as a developing change in modern grammar.
      November 26, 2018 4:27 PM MST

Thanks for the pick, CosmicWunderkind. :) xxoo

November 30, 2018 7:31 PM MST

If he is too sure of himself, it may cause him to falter.  If he falters first, then he needs to be sure enough of himself to pick up and try again.  In a way, it's a catch-22.  Too much of anything is not good. This post was edited by Merlin at November 26, 2018 5:00 PM MST
      November 26, 2018 1:38 AM MST

Yes.  
    You know that old saying, "if you want to make God laugh, tell Him YOUR plans".
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 1, 2018 4:48 AM MST
      November 30, 2018 7:57 PM MST