Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What is the worst illness you ever had?

What is the worst illness you ever had?

Posted - December 20, 2018

Responses

Mental illness and I still got it.
      December 20, 2018 2:52 PM MST

• You should start a GoFundMe.  Make sure to pour lots of tears. :P
      December 20, 2018 3:23 PM MST

I hear ya, bro.
      December 20, 2018 5:10 PM MST

Two of them tie for the top spot: When I was thirteen I got the worst stomach illness I've ever had, I don't know if it was food poisoning or some kind of stomach flu but I got so sick I lost ten ponds in like 30 hours. Then, a year  later I got another illness that never got diagnosed that gave me a 104 degree fever and made it feel like I got hit by a truck so I could barely move for days.

Somehow though, since having that stomach illness I haven't had a single one in 15 years. And it's the same thing with the fever. If I've had one, I didn't know about it.
      December 20, 2018 2:53 PM MST

• Pneumonia when I was an infant.
      December 20, 2018 3:21 PM MST

Hello Element99
    I have been relatively healthy as far as sickness goes, I did however suffer an injury that was very serious. I lost a few years to hospitalization and rehabilitation, this also caused me to lose everything I had built to that point, including my marriage, I had to start over again with nothing. Aside from some physical scars, I have made a complete recovery. This post was edited by designer at December 21, 2018 5:24 AM MST
      December 20, 2018 3:22 PM MST

Hi designer

A serious injury got me too - fortunately my better half is a trooper and saw me through it but I did lose my job and our house. I was hobbling on a cane, addicted to prescription opioid painkillers, couldn't work or drive a car, attempted suicide twice - and I wasn't yet 40. Took me years before a neurosurgeon was prepared to operate (and I had to sign a form indemnifying him if it didn't work - I did without hesitation, I had notning to lose).
    Two weeks after the op I was completely drug free and running again. I'm gainfully employed but not driving atm - my car is in the shop, needs a new engine and I just don't have the funds.
      December 22, 2018 3:39 PM MST

Hello there Slartibartfast
    Very nice your better half was supportive and hung in there, mine turned out to be my "worse half", she could not handle the hardships and ended up having an affair that resulted in her getting pregnant. 
    I was taken to 3 hospitals the night of the incident where at the 3rd hospital there happened to be one of the country's best neurosurgeons (visiting) who was able to do the surgery. I was kept in a induced coma for several weeks, another few weeks in the N.C.C.U.
    I was then transferred to another hospital which specializes in physical therapies. My problems were mainly balance and nausea, and strength, or lack of. I was told I wouldnt be able to return to my profession as a builder so I went to school for architecture. 
    I spent the first year or so after the injury being very angry and frustrated. I eventually came to the realization that i loved my children more than my self-pity, I divorced my wife, was awarded custody of my 2 kids and started out on a new adventure. 

December 22, 2018 7:06 PM MST

• I've never had anything worse than a week-long flu when I was a teenager. I've been fairly healthy overall. 
      December 20, 2018 4:12 PM MST

• "Chickenpox or measles" ... I've had both and they both can kill, so you choose.
      December 20, 2018 4:27 PM MST

Really, I did not know chicken pox can kill. 
      December 20, 2018 7:04 PM MST

It can be fatal. Rarely.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/preventchickenpox/index.html
      December 20, 2018 7:08 PM MST

That is scary. My two youngests had chickenpox at the same time...at the age of 14 months and the other at 5 months. I had no idea. I called their Dr, he did not tell me. This post was edited by my2cents at December 22, 2018 3:28 PM MST
      December 20, 2018 7:17 PM MST

Fatal cases are extremely rare, but they do happen. It also can lie dormant for decades after the patient recovers, and recur in adults as shingles. My grandmother was suffering from shingles and infected me with chickenpox when I was nine months old - nobody had told her it could be contagious in its adult phase. Shingles is nasty.
      December 22, 2018 3:31 PM MST

My mother in law had shingles a few years back. Yes very nasty. 
      December 22, 2018 4:59 PM MST

None that I can think of....I'm just little and Elf'y    :) This post was edited by Nice Jugs at December 21, 2018 5:25 AM MST
      December 20, 2018 4:37 PM MST

Man flu!
      December 20, 2018 5:06 PM MST

Hepatitis A.  I was out of work for 6 weeks but didn't feel that bad.  Depression was the worst mentally.  I just read the Best Seller, Lost Connections.  It says to get out of your depression anti-depressants may help some people or many people for a while but you really need to change your current situation and reconnect with nature, a group, meaningful work, meaningful values etc.  It was very interesting.  I recommend it.
      December 20, 2018 6:47 PM MST

Measles. I don't remember it too well, I was five. Early 1975, before the MMR vaccine became readily available.
      December 20, 2018 6:57 PM MST

Chickenpox. 
      December 20, 2018 7:07 PM MST

Not really an illness but a thing no less, skin cancer twice. A lump in my breast, (it was benign) removed. A tumor the size of a golf ball in my uterus, so a hysterectomy. All this crap happened in a 6 month period about 15 years ago. I'm healthy and happy now. 
      December 20, 2018 7:28 PM MST

Something vaguely resembling the root of a tree grew in my neck. When it got to the windpipe I couldn't breathe. What an adventure that was!
      December 20, 2018 7:56 PM MST

I had some undiagnosed illness in 2015 which lasted for 18 months.  Doctor after doctor, test after test and they couldn't put a name to it.  After 18 months, the same way it came - it went.  
      December 20, 2018 8:22 PM MST

WOW.  Hope it never ever comes back.

December 20, 2018 9:54 PM MST