Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If God does not answer prayers should the religious powers-that-be shut down the churches?

If God does not answer prayers should the religious powers-that-be shut down the churches?

Or a partial shutdown..  You pray for peace but chaos,  corruption and war still haplens; you pray for health and healing but sickness and death still happens; you pray for wealth but unemployment happens.
But at least when you pray for atheists you always get atheists. 

Posted - December 24, 2018

Responses

The existence of God and in what form are, and always will be, open to question, but churches, mosques, synagogues, and all houses of worship exist for other reasons, such as educational, social, and marking lifecycle events like birth, marriage, and death. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at January 26, 2019 6:06 PM MST
      December 24, 2018 11:06 PM MST

I followed the question with suggesting a partial shutdown that could be open to other uses -funerals,  weddings,  etc.
      December 24, 2018 11:15 PM MST

Then the point of your question is not clear to me. Taking my synagogue as an example, it's closed much of the time anyway, often with only the rabbi, executive director, and building staff present. When the Hebrew School is in session, its staff and students are also present. We only have bigger crowds for Shabbat and holiday services/celebrations and occasional special events. The building is also available, of course, for lifecycle events. And whom do you mean by the "religious powers that be?" We have a rabbi and executive director who are employees, and the Board of Trustees which comprises members who volunteer their time. Who else is there outside of a given congregation to decide when it should or should not be open and available to its members and the community?

Given the vagueness of the question of God's existence plus human nature, you would never reach a consensus on the prayer-answering issue anyway. I'm afraid that the more I think about it, the less sense this question makes, at least to me.
      December 25, 2018 7:01 AM MST

I was just kind of referring to Trump as the 'powers that be' (partial) shutting down the government in demanding money for the wall.

I don't specifically know who are the ultimate powers-that-be,  but except for the Catholic Church it would be the Pope. This post was edited by Kittigate at December 25, 2018 9:55 AM MST
      December 25, 2018 9:42 AM MST

But with separation of church and state, the president has no authority over religious institutions.
      December 25, 2018 10:02 AM MST

I am only tying the president in with churchy stuff in a comedy sort of way.
      December 25, 2018 10:23 AM MST

It would make better sense to throw out the so called "religious powers-that-be." Any church member that studies the bible for three weeks knows WAY more than anybody else in his church, even the minister. The board members don't even know they are not running a church. (A 501C3 corporation is not a church.)
      December 25, 2018 2:53 AM MST

• It's a total money-racket.  Most churches I've been to pass the offering plate before a prayer is offered up.  I've become somewhat of a pantheist.
      December 25, 2018 6:20 AM MST

My church will not take any money ever.

NONE.  We also believe as you do.  When money changes hands, especially in that capacity, all goes down hill.
      December 25, 2018 5:04 PM MST

But how can churches, synagogues et al support themselves without money? Clergy and support staff need to be paid living wages and buildings have to be maintained. None of that stuff is free.
      January 26, 2019 8:09 PM MST

But the question is moot. 

God always answers.  It is not his problem if the Spiritual deaf dumb and blind refuse to see.

God answered the evil, stupid and selfish needs of the lying GERRYMANDERED states.  God answered the need for greed and showed what it gets us.

God answered the desire to NOT learn and not grow spiritually or even morally in this country.  God answered the Germans and God is answering the Americans.  

God answered with the best answer of ALL.

CLEAN UP YOUR MESS AND DO NOT BLAME GOD FOR THIS.

December 25, 2018 7:07 AM MST

• God puts into place those in authority.  You are rebelling against @therealGod.
      December 25, 2018 7:31 AM MST

Your brain is begging your fingers to stop typing.  Listen to it.  
      December 25, 2018 3:25 PM MST

• I don't think even you know what you believe.
      December 25, 2018 4:57 PM MST

Stop with the first three words and you've got it.

You don't think.  

I am going to give you two cards.  One I like and one you wish I would have sent.  

December 25, 2018 5:07 PM MST

That is nonsense. Satan is the god of worldly authority (Luke 4:5&6).

God does not deal in authority, he gives apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers for the work of the ministry and edifying of the body of Christ.

Very few church people ever learn these things because they don't read their bibles. They have no clue what it's about.
      December 25, 2018 4:36 PM MST

So?  Everyone who has not read a book is not worthy of GOD?

I think you need to come off your BIBLICAL PEDESTAL and down back to the earth.  You know that earth that was worshipped before you and your bible thumping holy rollers desecrated and defamed her by slaughtering animals, killing your brothers who were not bible thumpers because they were savages, and what else?  Oh yes, the bible and God are not on your side.  

Not with that attitude.

There are spiritual beings on this earth before the BIBLE or any Christian word of GOD was even around.

This is nothing against the Christians.  The one's who really know what Christ Consciousness is.

The ones who came before Jesus.  Jesus said:  (FROM THE BIBLE) what I can do, you can also do and MORE.  Jesus was a spiritual messenger.  He was realized when he came down to Earth.  He became GOD. 

I don't know what page that is on in your book?  BUT TRUST ME, I know what I am talking about more than half the ones who are thumping and reading.

Experience is the best teacher.  Not some book on GOD.  

Think of all the people before the Bible and think of a loving God leaving them in the dust because they didn't read something that was yet to even be visualized.  COME ON.

December 25, 2018 5:15 PM MST

That's your dogmatic belief. There is no objective reality about it.
      December 25, 2018 9:29 AM MST

You do not have a passing acquaintance with objective reality.  
      December 25, 2018 3:26 PM MST

Or what dogma even is.

Or karma for that matter.

December 25, 2018 5:17 PM MST

You have no idea what I do or do not have passing acquaintance with, and it's presumptuous of you to think that you do. I know that Christianity is a highly dogmatic faith based on belief rather than facts. By definition, that makes it different from objective reality. You would do well to stick to talking about that which you know so as to avoid inserting your foot into your mouth.
      December 25, 2018 6:59 PM MST

That statement about Stu B is mistaken.
    When you get to know him over a longer time on this site, you will discover he is one of the sanest, smartest, best educated and most realistic of Muggers.
    Just because you think or believe differently to another person does not mean that their perception of reality is false.
    It takes a lot more to prove a case than simply making assertions.
      December 26, 2018 5:25 PM MST

he does answer but he also says no
      December 25, 2018 8:58 AM MST

When He says 'no' that is why the churches should shut down until He changes His mind or explain why in order to  help understand the wisdom of His ways. Nobody likes being kept in the dark. 
      December 25, 2018 9:29 AM MST