Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Have you ever tried to get your parents to stop smoking? How did it turn out?

Have you ever tried to get your parents to stop smoking? How did it turn out?

Posted - March 6, 2019

Responses

No ... because my parents never smoked.  Well, not for as long as I can remember.  And there's no photos of them smoking, or any family knowledge of them smoking.
      March 6, 2019 11:38 AM MST

My parents never smoked, thank GOD.

But it is impossible to get anyone to quit anything.  You can serve as a role model and the rest is up to them.  
      March 6, 2019 11:47 AM MST

It's hard to believe (being as old as I am already) BUT, they are older!  Back in their day, more people smoked than didn't.  Never-the-less, even I, in my infinite, childlike wisdom knew it was bad for them and it stunk!
    I would plug my nose and wave my hands around and cough.  This got me sent to my room, fast. Disrespect for my elders and misbehaving was never tolerated.
    Somewhere along the way, I found they already knew all the things I felt and respected their choice. 
    The odd thing about my family is we are all very active.  They weren't heavy smokers and tried to stop themselves.  They both smoked a pipe for a while.  A Tobacco Pipe.  My mom was quite a sight.  I begged her not to do it in front of my friends!!  She respected that. :)
    For a while, all four of us smoked pipes... just not of the same type nor all together.  They smoked their tobacco and my sister and I smoked pot.
    The weirdest thing about my family-smoking experiences is we all stayed very physically active and did not let it rule our lives.
    Since that first day of me waving my hands and coughing inconsiderately, we have all stopped smoking on our own accords.
    I still smoke cigarettes from time to time but they are so expensive, it makes it a rare occasion.
    Well, when I drink, I smoke.  My parents officially quit on January 1st!!  Yippeee for them!!
    Happy! Happy!
      March 6, 2019 1:29 PM MST

Thanks Zack!  You encourage me to make time to come back and visit my friends!
    Happy! Happy!
      March 6, 2019 1:51 PM MST

I'm not sure if they ever did...We never ever caught them smoking...
      March 6, 2019 1:39 PM MST

• i begged them but they never did. i know recently though they started doing hypnosis to stop smoking. i'm not sure how it's going tho 
      March 6, 2019 2:39 PM MST

My mother quit at age 30, she lived to 88. (she substituted Lifesavers candy instead of cigarettes. My father quit in his 40s and substituted with whiskey. He lived to age 74. (yeah, the whiskey got his liver) 
      March 6, 2019 9:32 PM MST

nny parents never snnoked and neither did i
      March 8, 2019 2:25 PM MST

My parents stopped smoking cigarettes long before I popped out.
      March 11, 2019 11:32 AM MDT

My mother began smoking when she was 17 years old, it was also the year of her first pregnancy. I was born when she was 21 years old, I am the third of her six children. To this day, she has never stopped smoking, even with the myriad of health problems it has healed upon her. Even though I have never personally said anything to her about quitting, I learned vicariously what it would have gained me: when I was about 7 years old, an older cousin of mine (he may have been 12 or 13 at the time) gleefully informed my mother of what he had learned in school that day, ”Auntie, we saw a film that showed what cigarette smoke does to lungs, and how bad smoking is for . . . ” She shut him down quickly, telling him that she was the adult and he was the child.  Knowing my mother, that meant end-of-conversation.

~
      March 22, 2019 11:46 PM MDT

Hi Randy~
    It's great to see you. :) :)  (A little buttering-up in process.)
    I know I've been absent for quite a while. (I say, slinking up to you.)
    I know there are repercussions to be had. (offering a lollipop.)
    I know those repercussions are to be met and discussed on the other side. (Body wagging gleefully)
    I'll see you there waiting with bated breath!  (Big Giggles!)

I see your point and hear it too.  There is a time and a place to voice your opinion.  Under 18 years old and living under their roof is not one of them.
    I swear our parents, aunts, and uncles all went to the same school!
    Hugs and loves! This post was edited by Merlin at March 25, 2019 9:08 PM MDT
      March 25, 2019 2:51 PM MDT