Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Could you put your pet out of it's misery on your own without taking it to a vet? How would you do it yourself?

Could you put your pet out of it's misery on your own without taking it to a vet? How would you do it yourself?

My dog is 16 years old and blind.  He cries all of the time, has lost just about all of his bodily functions.  I just can't bring myself to send him to the big dog in the sky.  What should I do?

Posted - March 14, 2019

Responses

If he was still in the wild,nature would have taken care of him ages ago I'm affraid to say......it's hard to have a animal put to sleep ,but in so many ways it's the right thing to do......it will no longer be in constant pain and in the wild would have starved to death once old and it lost its teeth...
    Why governments ban euthanasia of humans is quite beyond me......Who has the right to say when you wish to leave this life once you are past usefulness or if it's what you really want......it's your life and no one else's business ....
    I've accompanied my dad twice to have a pet put down....it's not an easy thing to do....it's extreamly sad and something unavoidable if you care for your pet.....:(  
      March 14, 2019 9:22 PM MDT

• I agree completely!  Government interferes too much in personal matters.  I find it very difficult to part with my little guy who has brought so much joy and laughter to my life.  But I can't take his crying because it tells me he is not happy, and in discomfort and pain.  Thank you so much for your very thoughtful answer!
      March 14, 2019 9:37 PM MDT

I can only empathize with you.....take a fried or family member.....you might need their company....it's not so good to do these things alone unless it's what you want....  Xx
      March 14, 2019 9:42 PM MDT

• i would bring him to the vet, or talk to them and ask if there is anything he can be given by you at home so he can die with you at home. i would def put him out of misery tho. it sounds very sad 

one of the regulars at the store i work at had to put his dog down recently because he couldn't even stand up anymore. i gave him chicken 
      March 14, 2019 9:29 PM MDT

• It is very sad.  He's crying now as I type this.  But you're right, it has to be done.  I suppose I could give him some meds to send him off to doggy heaven.  I just have to find the inner strength to do it.  Thank you so much for your answer!
      March 14, 2019 9:41 PM MDT

If you have a gun that would probably be the most efficient and painless was to do it yourself. 
    Did you ever see the movie 'Old Yeller'? The boy had to shoot the beloved family dog when it contacted rabies.  Father was away on a trip herding cattle to the stockyards. 
      March 14, 2019 9:30 PM MDT

I know how difficult it is to see your pet in pain with no quality of life.  I know you don't want to put him to sleep, but try to think of what would be best for him.  Keeping him alive so you feel better is not necessarily the best thing for him.  Take him to the vet, hold him while the vet injects him and he will wait for you at the Rainbow Bridge.  

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

March 14, 2019 9:30 PM MDT

• That sounds so beautiful! Thank you so much for your thoughtful answer.  It really helps alot!
      March 14, 2019 9:44 PM MDT

I'm happy it helped and I know you will do what's best for your best friend.  
      March 15, 2019 9:36 AM MDT

it's its misery.
      March 14, 2019 9:32 PM MDT

The person is sad about their dying pet and your only concern is a spelling mistake.
      March 14, 2019 9:52 PM MDT

No I couldn't.  how can one comfort their pet while they are euthanizing him?

He has been with you all of his life, do not leave him now.

And yes, it's time.

Look into this site: https://www.lapoflove.com/About-Us/Who-We-Are

March 14, 2019 10:36 PM MDT

Pets are only loaned to us by the angel to whom they belong---let him go home.
      March 14, 2019 10:43 PM MDT

Sometimes it's the right thing to do, but still heartbreaking. I had to do it for my old rat, Trevor, when he became old and developed a debilitating tumor. At that age an operation to remove the tumor was too risky and he was old anyway so I decided it was best to have him peacefully put to sleep. I was crying the whole time and comforting my little man. At least I got to spend those last moments with him and knew he went out quickly and painlessly. They even made a little grave stone with his little feet prints on it and gave it to me. I don't think I'd be able to end him myself, I'd especially be afraid of botching it. That's why I forked out the money and let the vet take care of him even if he was "just a rat" as some jerks would say.
      March 15, 2019 7:10 AM MDT

If you can ... you should take him to a vet, as others here say.

If you can't take him to a vet ... the quickest way is a bullet to the brain.
    Or, if you have the drugs, a lethal dose of sleeping/pain drugs.  Though you have to be sure it's lethal.
      March 15, 2019 9:22 AM MDT

I would take my pet to the vet where it would be done humanely and with certainty.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this — the last battle — can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.
    Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close — we two — these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

March 15, 2019 12:28 PM MDT

No, I would not do it myself.  I would stay with him or her while she died if I knew what kind of drug to administer and if it were legal.  I'll never have another pet, therefore, will never have to make this decision.  I'm good with that.
      March 15, 2019 4:39 PM MDT