Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » I have a real question: I noticed someone else on this site asked about dating outside of their race...

I have a real question: I noticed someone else on this site asked about dating outside of their race...

I’ve also noticed on the net (not just here) that people seem to respond with ´we’re all human race.’  How are people supposed to refer to inter-racial dating now? Is there another word? Is it offensive now to call someone a different race and if so why? Okay, that’s 3 or 4 question but I honestly don’t understand. 

Posted - March 29, 2019

Responses

Then you don't understand what bigotry is.

CoupleA is two "white" people.
    CoupleB is one "white" and one "black".
    Everything else is the same.
    If you are discussing CoupleB ONLY because of the ethnicity difference = you are a bigot.
      March 29, 2019 10:24 AM MDT

• Do you want to stay on the topic here? I’m not talking about or asking about just discussing people’s relationships. I asked how someone, anyone,   could have worded a  question better about ´inter-racial dating’ . Because apparently using the term ‘race’ is taboo now. I wasn’t aware that it was. Now I am. 

March 29, 2019 10:30 AM MDT

My original answer was on topic.
    It was a bigoted question, and promotes the bigotry of unequal "races".

My replies after that were directed at your responses.
      March 29, 2019 11:12 AM MDT

• How exactly is discussing or asking a question about about dating someone from another ethnicity, race, whatever you want to call it, bigotry? And how is it implying that ‘races’ are not equal? 

March 29, 2019 11:20 AM MDT

I have already explained
      March 29, 2019 11:36 AM MDT

• Then I still disagree, just by recognizing,  acknowledging that people have differences,  doesn’t make someone a bigot. Nor does it mean that people look at someone’s differences and see it as making them  less valuable then themselves. So I still don’t see your point here. 
      March 29, 2019 11:45 AM MDT

• All I know is that when the poster of the other question (not yours) made his query, I answered it by posting a picture of a dog with a really cute guy lying together.  I figured that was a pretty good example of "outside your race"  other than that though, I get your point.  Throughout centuries, decades, and years the term "race" has always been used to describe people of different ethnicities.  Why the word ethnicities was never more commonly used is beyond me.  I guess its the same as when someone asks you about your sex when filling out forms.  The correct way to ask is not "What is your sex?"  The correct term is gender.  "What is your gender?"  All of these terms such as race and sex seem to be changing of late as we become more informed and enlightened but all I can tell you Jamie is that people are stupid and if you try to keep up with stupid you will eventually feel stupid too.  BTW, if anyone ever wants to know what is my sex, let me state for the record that it is AWESOME!  (and that is an appropriate answer)
      March 29, 2019 9:39 AM MDT

• Ahhhhh! Thank you :) that’s what I was Looking for! So the more acceptable word is ethnicity. I just feel like everyone is trying to be so PC these days. I don’t think just because someone uses the word ’race‘ makes them a racist. Maybe they just don’t know or can’t keep up with what’s PC anymore cos it’s always changing. Btw my sex is FABULOUS ;)
      March 29, 2019 9:45 AM MDT

A lot of what is now considered "PC" was just once considered basic politeness and respect for others.  Many of us who were older were brought up to be polite and get along with people and proper etiquette which respected the feelings of others was the way we learned.  So quite naturally we don't want to offend people.  But sometimes I find that when people choose to be offended there is nothing I can do or say to prevent that.  Try as I might. 
      March 29, 2019 9:59 AM MDT

• Very true, but I don’t see what’s wrong with having a discussion if it comes from a place of genuiunly  wanting to understand a topic. I think I’ll go back to music questions though, lol. 
      March 29, 2019 10:03 AM MDT

Yes neither do I.  Because being on the net gives us a chance to be honest as well as candid because we are protected by relative anonymity of the format.  Or we can play it safe and stick to music!
      March 29, 2019 10:06 AM MDT

Great answer.
    :)

But I have to admit to being stupid very often in many areas.
    But even stupid sex, for me, is great sex, ha!
    :)
      March 29, 2019 10:55 AM MDT

Just some thoughts on the issue, Jamie.

The meaning of words tend to change over time---I'm not really sure if there is general agreement on what the current terms mean.

On the one hand, there is only one human species---homo sapiens

Yet, Races may be genetically distinct populations of individuals within the same species, or they may be defined in other ways, e.g. geographically, or physiologically. Genetic isolation between races is not complete, but genetic differences may have accumulated that are not (yet) sufficient to separate species.

Then again, The world population can be divided into 4 major races, namely white/Caucasian,
    Mongoloid/Asian, Negroid/Black, and Australoid.

But less that be too simple, In physical anthropology the term is one of the three general racial classifications of humans — Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid.

Is Australoid a race or not?---The Australoid race is a racial classification used to refer to aboriginal people of Australia, India, Melanesia, parts of Southeast Asia as well as parts of East Asia. 

And finally (?)---A race is a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society. First used to refer to speakers of a common language and then to denote national affiliations, by the 17th century the term race began to refer to physical (phenotypical) traits.

I once worked in a company that had a large number of what are now called "Blacks," by who had been previously called---in my lifetime---"African Americans" and "Negroes."  I had a reputation for not seeing "color"---largely due to my upbringing.

Use whatever nomenclature you want---anybody who objects is just being too picky in my opinion.
      March 29, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

• I see, I guess I wasn’t clear on the definition of ‘race‘ thanks for that, Tom. 
      March 29, 2019 9:51 AM MDT

Nobody else is either, apparently.  It's all about making sure you and the other "person" agree on the meaning of the words you are using.
      March 29, 2019 9:54 AM MDT

WHY is it a big issue?

Who cares?  

It is a non-issue.    I don't even notice that garbage.
      March 29, 2019 10:28 AM MDT

• I am asking why it’s a big deal... that’s my question. 
      March 29, 2019 10:32 AM MDT

And my answer is that it is NOT.  That is my answer.
      March 29, 2019 11:51 AM MDT

• It’s a good answer :)
      March 29, 2019 11:53 AM MDT

This is not confrontational.  It is supposed to be amusing.  

I fail a lot.
      March 29, 2019 11:55 AM MDT

• Lol, I got your intent :) 
      March 29, 2019 11:55 AM MDT

Image result for tents at woodstock

Good I didn't think you would find me. 

In tent number two the one with the yellow window openings.
      March 29, 2019 12:03 PM MDT

In my professional opinion, haha, I think that people who are easily offended and need for everything to be politically correct, are the one's with the problem.  We shouldn't have to tiptoe through society, tripping over our words, for fear that we might offend someone's delicate feelings.
    Supposed you were mugged by a 5 foot Asian man with pink hair.  When you are describing him to the police are you going to forget to say:

1.  he's a man
    2.  he's short 
    3.  he's Asian
    4.  he has dyed pink hair

Just like Nofunding...  said,  "who cares?  It's no big deal.  It's only a big deal to those who are overly sensitive for whatever the reason.

This post was edited by Natz at March 29, 2019 12:38 PM MDT
      March 29, 2019 10:56 AM MDT

• yeah, I guess it depends on who’s saying what and the intention behind it.  I don’t even know anymore:)
      March 29, 2019 11:22 AM MDT

Me neither.  I don't know anymore and I don't care anymore.  Too much trouble to give the people what they want.  Woe is me.
      March 29, 2019 1:15 PM MDT