Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Fashion » Do you have any articles of clothing made from animal fur?

Do you have any articles of clothing made from animal fur?

Posted - August 12, 2019

Responses

No, they just look like they are.  (2 cats and a dog = a LOT of "excess" fur)
      August 12, 2019 5:23 PM MDT

• No.  Wearing animal fur is cruel and unnecessary,

but I have considered making a voodoo doll using the hair of past boyfriends.  Not that I ever clipped their hair while sleeping or anything.  That would just be weird.  And I certainly never took pictures of them while they were out cold.  Highly inappropriate.  And out-cold has such a negative slant to it.  Mostly they just drifted off to sleep without incident, mostly.  I need to buy a new mallet.  Also, can I help it if they talk in their sleep and I take notes?  I'm a people person.  I like to ask questions.  Get to know others.  Everything about them.  EVERYTHING!  I'm a good boy though.  I would never do such things and if I did its all in the name of arts and crafts.  Doll making, scarp-booking and such.  We queers are creative like that.  Yeah, that's it!  So no. I don't have an animal fur coat.  Just some odd souvenirs lying about.  I really should put those away, lest people wonder.

Why'd you have to go and ask this question?
    Now I'll have to "disappear" you.  So sad.   LOL!

August 12, 2019 5:39 PM MDT

I've been a vegetarian since I was 21 - (Switched sometime after the Hari Krishna experience and not for the same reasons as theirs.)

Agree on furs being cruel and unnecessary when we now have great doona like jackets that do such a good job.
    I'd feel differently about peoples like the Inuit - their traditional lifestyle was interdependent with their environment.

Love your story of the souvenirs - can imagine you combing out your lover's hair or hairbrushes. Or rescuing skericks from drains in showers.

I once had a T-shirt of a former lover. He'd left it behind after the break-up. It contained the fragrance of his armpit. I kept it for many years in a plastic bag - which did an astonishingly good job of keeping the scent fresh.
      August 13, 2019 1:30 PM MDT

Yes,all of my leather shoe and boots....:) 
      August 12, 2019 5:51 PM MDT

No.

I did have one many years ago when I was a student in London, UK.

My then-partner was a Parsee jazz photographer - so I had free passes to all the jazz performances.
    One night after a set at Ronnie Scotts, one of the performers, about 60ish, came to sit at our table, schlepping a garbage bag full of stuff.
    (No, it wasn't TrashBags in person.)
    His mother had just died and he was trying to raise some money by selling as much of her stuff as possible.
    Would I like to buy his mother's muskrat coat for $20? 
    That was about a third of my weekly rent for a studio flat in those days - a bargain.
    He pulled it out of the bag - rich umber and sienna browns, so-oo soft.
    Since, as an Aussie, I'd been suffering from the British cold, I said yes.

The following few months were wonderful, cosily wrapped in this luxurious fur that went all the way down to my calves -
    not just insulation but fully windproof. 

Then, during one of my student vacations, I got a full-time job as a sculptor working for the Hare Krishnas.
    They were renovating a large hall above their restaurant in Soho W1, turning it into a temple.
    My job was to model and cast the bas-reliefs - copies of traditional Hindu motifs from ancient temples in India: gopal trees, lotuses, cows, and images of Krishna, Radha and the Gopis.
    I'd travel there every day by train and upon arriving would doff the coat on a chair.

"EEeew!" the devotees would shriek, piercing my cochlea with aural pain, "revolting! a dead animal! yuk!"
    Though I didn't think it was affecting me, it must have, being repeated like a mantra with such vehemence every day.
    They fed me vegetarian food as part of the pay deal - delicious.
    They lectured me non-stop on the spiritual and karmic virtues of vegetarianism and devotion.
    If they succeeded in converting me, they wouldn't have to pay. (But I desperately needed that money.)

The one morning on the train journey there was a young woman sitting opposite me.
    She was quite beautiful if you discounted how skinny she was.
    She had alabaster pale skin, black hair, perfect proportions.
    She wore lacy panties and bra, satin singlet, fishnet stockings, 4" stilettos - all in black - and a mask of heavy theatrical make-up.
    Her legs and arms were crossed. She hunched and shivered.
    I couldn't bear seeing her look so cold.

As the train neared my stop, I stood and removed my muskrat fur.
    As the doors opened I handed her that coat and stepped off the train before she could react.

The doors shushed shut. The train rolled off.
    I climbed the stairs out into the street where the snow lightly fell onto icy pavements.

When I arrived at work, I was greeted by cheers and congratulations for not having the coat.
    But I'd lost my comfortable warmth.

This post was edited by inky at August 13, 2019 1:08 PM MDT
      August 12, 2019 6:29 PM MDT

• I do not want to understate
    just how much I enjoy these little glimpses into moments of your life.
    Thank you as always for sharing these stories.
      August 12, 2019 7:04 PM MDT

Thanks Twinkle.
    Your generosity is one of the things that love about you.
      August 13, 2019 1:09 PM MDT

I once had a coat with a racoon collar.  That was waaaaayyyyyy back when I was in y 20s.  Never had aother fur anything again.
      August 12, 2019 8:15 PM MDT

Not unless my leather jacket and shoes count. I did have a rabbit fur hat once. I don't believe in raising animals for their pelt, but have no problems with the skins of food animals. They're dead anyway, right?
      August 12, 2019 8:43 PM MDT

I guess leather would count. It's just skin with no hair.
      August 13, 2019 6:56 AM MDT

Never. 

I do have a pair of hiking boots with some leather on them. I wish they didn't, but they're incredibly comfortable. I try to only buy shoes that are vegan, but it's harder than you'd think. Seems that most decent ones have at least a bit of leather or suede. 
      August 12, 2019 9:19 PM MDT

not yet
      August 16, 2019 3:32 PM MDT

I once had a Sheepskin Jacket.  The Doc has three furs, NBD.  All the pelts were farm raised, very similar to raising Chickens, Cattle, and other livestock.

Now did you know Mink farms are the most economical and enviromentally friendly way to render chicken guts and other animal products.

Did you know the flower producer's love Mink Guano as the perfect fertilizer for Orchids and Roses raised in Hothouses?

Did you Know Mink Guano is a top export for certain States, without them your chicken would cost you at least a $1.00 more per pound due to the need for up to date Rendering Plants.

Element I learned all this in my FFA and 4H days.  Growing up in an Ag Community was a lot of fun
      August 16, 2019 3:46 PM MDT

no because im not an actual piece of trash with no heart. ive seen the videos of animals being essentially turned inside to have their coats removed, completely conscious, wailing and bloodied. i dont need that on my conscience just for a pair of old lady boots or to be looking like cruella de ville  This post was edited by amber at August 16, 2019 8:57 PM MDT
      August 16, 2019 3:52 PM MDT

I don't do anything to harm animals including buying leather.  
      August 16, 2019 4:00 PM MDT