Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » What is something crazy, eerie, funny, loopy, odd, silly or weird that has ever happened to you while you were preening?

What is something crazy, eerie, funny, loopy, odd, silly or weird that has ever happened to you while you were preening?

~

Posted - August 18, 2019

Responses

They call it Neurocardiogenic Syncope (NCS).   I chose not to take medication because I have warning signs.  The doctor concurred even though he offered medication.  I feel ill and nauseated and start sweating, so I have plenty of time to go down (to the floor usually) before I go out.  In public I tell anyone who will listen to not call 911, just give me about one minutes to start to come back.  If I don't then call 911.  ;)

I have been a fainter my whole life and when I was young the doctors were always condescending in explaining to me that this was just part of being a menstruating woman.   Well, no, no it isn't.  IN 2012 while in the hospital because of not being able to stay conscious after general anesthesia a doctor asked if I would come to his office for a tilt table test.  I did a few weeks later and about eight minutes into the test I was out.  But I knew for about 60 seconds that it was coming. 

I don't complain because my friends are dealing with heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and all kinds of awful conditions.  All I have to do is sit down on the floor.....what a blessing. 
      August 19, 2019 3:58 PM MDT

I had a bad brush with a comb once while doing my hair when I was little...not that I've ever been little....:)D 
      August 18, 2019 8:09 PM MDT

I can't think of anything weird, eerie, odd etc. that happened to me while preening....HOWEVER, while driving my brand new sports car back in '88 on a night out with a friend a few months after my dear friend had died in a car crash....while I was driving home on the highway that night, 2 times on our way home my right foot was being push to left(off the gas pedal) , where after the 2nd time it happened I told her to KNOCK IT OFF with messing with my gas pedal while I'm trying to drive.....and she sincerely hadn't a clue as to what I was referring to, so I told her that my foot kept being pushed off the gas pedal while I'm driving, where she said...your new sports car has bucket seat with this huge console between us, so how am I pushing your foot off the gas pedal!!??"....where we both got freaked out ....and both realizing that I was actually going  100 MPH on the highway, where both of us just knew it was my beloved friend on the "other side" who was pushing my foot off the gas pedal in his attempt for me to SLOW IT DOWN while driving that night. This post was edited by Redsox16 at August 19, 2019 11:00 AM MDT
      August 18, 2019 9:47 PM MDT

I dropped my razor while peeing in the sink. Multi tasking y'know. Just got a slight nick.
      August 18, 2019 10:32 PM MDT

That’s not preening. 
    ___

August 18, 2019 10:44 PM MDT

I dropped my razor while shaving;  ain't that preening? 
      August 18, 2019 11:07 PM MDT

Re-read it: you wrote, “while I was peeing in the sink“.

:[

August 18, 2019 11:10 PM MDT

I also said I was multi tasking -peeing in the sink while shaving. 
      August 18, 2019 11:15 PM MDT

That’s not what you wrote. 
    —-
      August 19, 2019 6:47 AM MDT

But that's what I meant. 
      August 19, 2019 7:06 AM MDT

It's Canadian preening.
      August 19, 2019 11:01 AM MDT

That's just flat out gross and unsanitary to urinate in a sink where you also wash your face, hands and brush your teeth, smh.  
      August 20, 2019 9:57 PM MDT

NOW.  It is ONLY gross, if you DON"T wash it out afterwards.  If your sink is spotless, then there is no pee pee residue.

Work smarter, not harder.
      August 20, 2019 10:00 PM MDT

Nah, in a civilized society it's just flat out lazy, gross, unsanitary as well as uncivilized for one to resort to urinating in a sink  to "multi-task' while preening themselves to go to work.
      August 20, 2019 10:19 PM MDT

That's just flat out gross and unsanitary to urinate in a sink where you also wash your face, wash your hands and brush your teeth, smh.  
      August 20, 2019 9:57 PM MDT

Ok ok I heard you the first time. 
      August 20, 2019 10:31 PM MDT

I found a tick stuck inside my ear. It must have crawled in while I was sleeping.  I found it attached in the ear canal leading down into the inner ear halfway to the eardrum.   

[Dramatic renactment]

All I could think of was, "Are there any more?" & "What if it went in deeper?" 

August 19, 2019 6:47 PM MDT

Youch! That must have been horrible!
    I hope it wasn't carrying Lyme's or some other horrible infection.
      August 20, 2019 12:51 AM MDT

Ugggggg I freak. I'm generally not squeamish, but these things are repulsive.
    I've had hundreds of ticks on me and thankfully I never contracted Lyme disease 

August 20, 2019 7:08 PM MDT

I was working on a client the other day. Her best friend, a dancer, got bit by a deer tick and went from a vital, healthy, beautiful young woman to a bed-ridden invalid who is in chronic pain constantly.

It happened in one second.  Got a tic bite and got Lyme disease.  Stephen King couldn't write a worse horror story.  
      August 20, 2019 10:03 PM MDT

I've met Aussies here who've picked up Lyme's from a tick while travelling in the States.

We seem to have a disease here which is very similar. Lay people insist that it's Lyme's due to identical symptoms.
    For decades the scientists have been saying that none of the claims were true.
    But recently, they've begun to look more closely and found a single DNA variant.
    Some are now speculating that the original virus might have evolved on the Pangea supercontinent, and then changed after the continental shelves split apart. Still only a theory.

Yet this idea has proved effective with other viruses.
    We've suddenly experienced the Hendra virus in fruit bats starting to cross over to horses, livestock and humans (50% lethal, and if you survive you're never the same again).
    A hunt around the world discovered that the lyssavirus in bats in the USA is very similar. As a result, they were able to synthesise a successful vaccine within a year. Unfortunately, it costs $600 per shot and has to be boosted every year.
      August 21, 2019 6:32 PM MDT

I'm guessing that if you're milking goats every day, the ticks would crawl from them to you.

Are there some areas of the States where Lyme is less prevalent than others?

Are you against wearing a chemical deterrent?
      August 21, 2019 6:19 PM MDT

We have tick repellent, yes, but where I live it's nearly impossible. The number of ticks is horrendous. This year and last year were the worst I have ever seen. 

There is medication for the Dogs that keeps those monsters at bay. The Ticks, however, do follow you into the house on your clothes and their fur. You have no idea how easy it is to come in contact with them. High grass, trees, bushes, etc...they fall from trees on you for God's sake.  
      August 21, 2019 6:32 PM MDT

Understood.
    So I'm guessing you automatically take off all your clothes, dump them straight in the washing machine and have a shower the moment you get back from work.
    But it would still take an all-over search.
    I think Twinkle Dink would probably enjoy being appointed your official strip searcher.
    Very primal - the whole tick-hunting primate grooming thing... :)

Have you heard of ethylene (dimethyl ether) for freezing ticks?
    You can get it tiny spray cans.
    Normal uses of fingernails or tweezers, or the old smother-with-oil trick, irritate the tick and cause it to inject more of its venom and whatever other diseases it's carrying.
    The freezing is instantaneous; no injecting of added nasties.
      August 21, 2019 6:42 PM MDT

Try Vegemite on the back of your neck. Works as a repellent to drop bears, maybe it would work on ticks as well ... This post was edited by Slartibartfast at August 21, 2019 11:18 PM MDT
      August 21, 2019 9:27 PM MDT