Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » If you were bed ridden for many months, what effect do you think that would have on you?

If you were bed ridden for many months, what effect do you think that would have on you?

Would you motorize your bed so you could go bed riding around the city and countryside, go fishing and stuff?

Posted - September 21, 2019

Responses

- severe loss of fitness, suppleness and strength
    - atrophe of muscles,
    - some weakening of tendons and ligaments, some may tighten on the opposite side of those that weaken
    - need for as much physiotherapy as possible
    - depending on the nature of the problem and degree of care, a high risk of bedsores and, if untreated, septicemia and gangrene
    - becoming expert in coping with bedpans, hygiene pads, catheters, clean up and change routines, and bed baths

psychological
    - various reactions and adaptations to dependency on others for basic needs
    - need for stimulation and occupations according to remaining abilities eg, reading, writing, crafts, music listening & playing, puzzles,
                   online training programs, internet fro social connectivity etc - opportunities for personal development
    - need to get out (cabin fever) and about in the world, preferably in motorized chair - depending on personality (introversion/extroversion)
                   to participate in social and other events, to conduct personal business and chores (with help of assistant)
                   and to maintain social connection with friends and relatives

September 21, 2019 7:29 PM MDT

That's a lot of serious stuff to think about. 
      September 21, 2019 7:40 PM MDT

I was an aged care nurse for a few years - so have direct experience of many different kinds of bedridden states (cared for over 300).

I was bedridden myself for a time when I had four broken ribs and a punctured lung.

I was a volunteer carer for a paraplegic for about a year. Got to know him very well. Saw how his condition had a high impact on the evolution of his personality from the time of his accident at 37 through to age 67.

September 21, 2019 8:07 PM MDT

That's a lot of years to be bedridden,  I dunno if I could survive that long being stuck in a bed.
      September 21, 2019 8:12 PM MDT

There are so many situations in which we can't know how we'd react unless it actually happens to us.
    Some of us may see ourselves as cowards, and yet in an emergency, face the danger with calm and effective action.
    Some of us who fear disability can discover hidden reserves of kindness, patience and resilience when faced with a tragic reality.
    Some of us can become murderers when faced with a genuine threat to our loved ones.
    We just cannot know.
      September 21, 2019 9:46 PM MDT

Bedridden is one word, not two. If I were in that situation, I’d file a lawsuit against the internet for grammatical errors that rendered me that way. 
      September 21, 2019 9:32 PM MDT

Oh.

Hmm.. yes ..of course.  This post was edited by Kittigate at September 21, 2019 10:38 PM MDT
      September 21, 2019 10:20 PM MDT

Hello Kittygate.
    As with most situations, the circumstances would dictate the effects. A person of means that was experiencing a temporary condition in which complete recovery was a given and financials were such that it wouldn't be of worry would be effected differently than one who has little means and inadequate insurances, one who might lose their home, their job, friends, or I should say acquaintances who lose touch because of the inconvenience to them.
    My experience is this. Years ago I suffered a very serious injury to my face and head. After a 13 hour surgery I was put into a medically induced coma. I stayed in that state for a little over a month. I then was in the NCCU (neural critical care unit) for another 3 weeks and then in then in the CCU unit for another couple of weeks. At the time I was insured through Kaiser, I was taken however to a hospital, not Kaiser
    .As soon as I was able to be moved I was transferred to a Kaiser Hospital which specialized in rehabilitation therapies where I stayed for a few more weeks. When I did make it back home I had home health workers who would help with physical therapy. I had no core strength and my balance was gone due to a lack of equilibrium.
    Although I have been completely healed of my physical problems I do live with what is obvious facial trauma.
    So how did those few months effect me...lets see...anger, frustration, depression, loss of financial stability and security...I lost everything including my wife. This was a dark time for me, however there is a happy ending. Through this I found my strength and my peace. I hav gone on to live a satisfying and complete life. I was awarded custody of my 2 young children, we moved to a beautiful place. My children are now on their own, both still in their 20's and fine people, we are as close as ever.
    Now that 20 years have gone by since the incident I can say that event was, aside from my children, the greatest experience of my life and nothing has had the intensity as that had.
    One thing I learned most was the lessons of empathy. I know people may look at me and wonder why I look as I do, they have no idea where I got my looks from. They do not know my story for if they did, they would understand, When I see someone less fortunate in their circumstance I understand I do not know their story, I have no idea. They could have suffered great loss, the loss of a child. Knowing that you can never look down.

September 21, 2019 9:43 PM MDT

Very good. Thanks very much for sharing. This post was edited by Kittigate at September 22, 2019 12:23 AM MDT
      September 21, 2019 10:27 PM MDT

It takes very little to make me happy.  But the things I need, I still MUST have in order  to make my day.  I MUST:  1.   I have to have a place that is comfortable to have that bed in. So I need a stable residency where I have income coming in to pay for whatever I need so I don't become a homeless bed-ridden person which is worse than being locked up at the border for dammmm sure.  THAT ONE CAVEAT must be in place or just KILL ME NOW.  I need my meds and you can bed ride me forever.  

If I was just bed-ridden and had all the main comforts, like my TV and this computer, and food and a telephone. I'm good.

I think if I could swing that somehow I prefer it to walking around.  LOL    I can lie down and watch Donald T. try and burn down the  world, one day at a time, just as easily from my bed than from my lounger.  So, no big stretch except I don't have to DRIVE anymore, and I don't have to work any more. How is this suffering? This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 21, 2019 10:34 PM MDT
      September 21, 2019 10:30 PM MDT

I think it would get boring after while not being physically active at all. I would miss getting out and doing stuff.  
    I think I would motorize my bed and go bedriding around the city and countryside and maybe even go bedfishing and stuff. 
      September 21, 2019 10:49 PM MDT

Here is my take.  I am GREAT at adjusting. Up to a point.  I would deal with it.  I have a great imagination. If I were even 10 years younger, I would freak.  But I have DONE everything.  I know what happens.  So, I can travel, by computer.  I can see anything this way and I don't have to be there.  I gave up meat.  But I don't miss meat because I can still remember every thing about what it tastes like. I can smell it in my head. So, I can live in a bed, pleasantly stoned, and type and look at the world through the computer screen. Because it feels good to lie down.  

I don't do it enough.  I am only half-kidding.  
      September 21, 2019 10:55 PM MDT

I tried giving up meat but without meat and only vegetables I can never feel 'full' and I feel weak without consuming any kind of meat. I think it's the fattiness of meat products that I crave because even fish still leaves me feeling hunger pangs.
      September 21, 2019 11:07 PM MDT

Meat does not make you full. NUTRIENTS do.  I think. I KNOW what you mean about that kind of empty feeling, no matter how much fruit and veggies you may eat, but that is not all that is in a good non-meat diet.  I DO eat cheese.  I DO eat NUTS.  Those NUTS go a long long way in satisfying hunger.  Try a few handsful of cashews and you will see what I mean. 

And there are so many ways to stay full. Grains too.  Meat is given way too much credit and it tires and drains people. It may make you full and stop the feeling of hunger for awhile, but it takes too long to digest and it takes too many hours in the bowels. IT putrifies before it excretes and it smells rotten and dead.  For starters.  Some of that crap stays in your intestines.  Enough to eventually cause disease.  

So, what kind of trade-off is THAT?  Eat a nut or eat a hotdog. Eat a nut and you don't die of cancer. Eat a hotdog and you do.  

The choice is yours.  
      September 21, 2019 11:36 PM MDT

Yeah I should try nuts because those nuts are high in fatty oils, good fatty oils that is.
      September 21, 2019 11:58 PM MDT

I'd be extremely happy if her knees healed sufficiently to ride me in the bed for many MINUTES, never mind months. Arthritis isn't curable.
      September 22, 2019 5:27 AM MDT