Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Soon it will be 60 years since I started smoking. How should I celebrate?

Soon it will be 60 years since I started smoking. How should I celebrate?

Quit? Sure.. i've tried many times but the craving for nicotine drives me crazy even tried using patches and gum. I know a few people who have quit but I don't have the determination and will power they did. I hate the habit but still enjoy the smoke fix. 
Anyway I am glad smoking has been banned in many places for the benefit of non smokers.

Posted - September 24, 2019

Responses

Move to Australia. The price will make you quit for financial reasons. Worked for me.
      September 24, 2019 4:03 AM MDT

Store cigarettes here are  $14.50 pack of 20 but (unfortunately) illegal tax free smokes from the native reservations are plentiful here nearby where I live -$35.00 carton of 10 packs. They are shipped from Ontario. 
      September 24, 2019 6:57 AM MDT

I think cigarettes are close to $15 a pack here in NYC.  Not only is smoking hazardous to your health, it's hazardous to your financial security.
      September 24, 2019 8:36 AM MDT

I am perplexed by the thought of celebrating a self-destructive habit. 

Raise a toast to another day of life, and breathe deep the free air, because 60 consecutive years of doing anything is no small matter. 
      September 24, 2019 4:32 AM MDT

Well, you could go urn or coffin shopping. Might as well do it in advance. 
      September 24, 2019 9:43 AM MDT

No need to  bother, i'm donating my bod to medical science people. I'm just trying to make that happen sooner. 
      September 24, 2019 11:58 AM MDT

CUT IT OUT.

YOU CAN QUIT.  KNOCK IT OFF.  There are SO many ways to quit, you have not tried at all.
    I have QUIT DRINKING. I was someone who could not get out of bed without a drink  

If I can do that?  You can stop.  I had to go through HELL to quit. You can stop.  The rewards I got from quitting are so voluminous you cannot imagine. YOU ARE NOT GIVING UP ANYTHING.  YOU ARE TAKING BACK YOUR LIFE.  

You will taste food again. You will not be craving a cancer stick and you will SHOW YOURSELF FINALLY HOW TO OVERCOME AN OBSTACLE THAT IS KILLING YOU.  

SO?  What do you have to lose?  A horrid taste and a rotten feeling sucking in poison all day and CANCER OF THE MOUTH AND LUNGS?  Sure you made it 60 years.  So what?  The next ten may be the years that END you because of this. Are you ready to face the fact that you could have done something about it?  

TOUGH LOVE WORKS and I do love you. 
      September 24, 2019 9:48 AM MDT

Well said.
      September 24, 2019 1:38 PM MDT

I'm shocked you haven't developed COPD, still you may have and are not be aware of the symptoms. This post was edited by kjames at September 24, 2019 8:20 PM MDT
      September 24, 2019 11:46 AM MDT

Thanks for the videos,  that's interesting. I am 74 YO and about 25 lbs overweight. I probably SHOULD be developing COPD but I do not notice any significant shortness of breath.  I get tested once in a while when our elevator conks out and I have to climb 6 flights. I feel a lot of fatigue in my legs but not any great shortness of breath.
      September 24, 2019 12:21 PM MDT

Do you cough? Coughing is a sign. Honestly, no matter your age, anytime would be a great time to give up smoking.  My grandmother had a stroke when she was 66, she had been a heavy smoker all her life, the stroke stopped her from even remembering she was a smoker, unfortunately it changed her whole personality and she became dependent on my grandfather and the rest of the family, seven years later she died of pneumonia.  My grandfather was a heavy smoker, gave up in his forties, got bone cancer, then lung cancer, in his eighties died the same year as my grandmother, believe me it was heart breaking, there is never enough time to spend with those you love, let alone thinking that it could have been prevented, what I would give to have one day back with them, so many questions left unasked, much love.
      September 24, 2019 4:23 PM MDT

I cough regularly to clear phlegm from my lungs and haven't noticed any kind of dark discoloration at all. I do dry cough a bit occasionally which can be a bad sign if it is continuous. I don't know what kind of inspiration would give me a solid determination to quit.  Maybe lung cancer. Tell you the truth honestly by chance MRI scan found out I did have stage I lung cancer four years ago. I lost a lung lobe by surgery and no recurrence  (yet). That was the last time I did seriously try quit smoking -and failed.
    I lost a grandfather and an uncle to lung cancer -both of course smokers, they were in their 70s. 
      September 24, 2019 8:05 PM MDT

Thank you for your honesty Kittigate, and I truly wish you well in your endeavours (secretly hoping that one of those will be to stop smoking) :)

September 26, 2019 9:47 AM MDT

All right.  Thanks. 
      September 26, 2019 10:10 AM MDT

Pour some water on your head, you've been on fire long enough. lol
      September 24, 2019 11:15 PM MDT

In your case, I guess it's better to die a horrible death than to go crazy because you didn't get your "fix". Then again, who am I to judge.
      September 26, 2019 10:21 AM MDT

Smoking for 60 years and no smoking-related health problems? 

Maybe you've been doing it wrong. lol 

Anyways, celebrate with a wild party. 

September 26, 2019 10:42 AM MDT