Discussion » Questions » Finance » Would you let a family member who's terrible with money move in with you so he wouldn't be homeless?

Would you let a family member who's terrible with money move in with you so he wouldn't be homeless?

I was just talking about that with my husband because that's the problem he's facing with his dad and then I saw this question https://answermug.com/forums/topic/90714/what-are-some-of-the-best-and-most-appropriate-ways-to-get-out-o/view/post_id/697610 which kind of inspired my question.  F-I-L's trying to guilt trip him into letting him move in with us and Hubby just isn't very enthused about that idea.  Anyway, F-I-L's only income is his Social Security and some assistance from the county where he lives.  About 60 to 70% of his income goes to his new car payment.  Hubby tells me his dad can either have a place to live or he can have a new car but he can't have both but if he tries telling his dad that he's going to yelled at and then his dad's going to bad-mouth him to everybody he knows and then he's going to bring up all of my husband's past financial sins.  His dad doesn't have any other retirement income because he took out so many loans against his retirement policy they cancelled it, so umm yeah, that's being pretty bad with money.

Posted - September 27, 2019

Responses

No.  No.  NOOOOO.

This is not a dad obligation.  This is a MOOCH and a low-life.  He doesn't care about you or his son.  He wants a cushy life.  

Oh and by the way?  What the heck is in it for you, besides headaches?  He will certainly cause you problems.  I promise. I also promise you that you will not be able to get rid of him, he will drive you up the wall and keep pushing and pushing you till you think this is NORMAL.

Do NOT let him step one foot in that door.  If he is homeless. TOUGH.  He can figure it out. He is a big boy.  If I were homeless, I would not be homeless for long.  Maybe a few months. IN the mean time I would find a shelter and focus.  That's what daddy needs to do.  Something he has not taken care of his whole life.  RESPONSIBILITY.  It sucks.  I know.  Especially when you are a person who is dumping your responsibility on your kids.

He doesn't realize this, but you are doing him a favor.  
      September 28, 2019 12:04 AM MDT

Wow, talk about being between a rock and a hard place. 

Hubby, take the Randy D path: let Pops badmouth you to high heaven, but under ZERO circumstances bring him into your home, not even temporarily. 
    Pops has to sell his car, take whatever profits there are, no matter how meager, and get a tiny studio apartment in a senior living complex. 

~
      September 28, 2019 12:45 AM MDT

It would depend on many other factors such as
    whether the family member had a disability that made him or her dependent.
    I wouldn't accept anyone who had any tendencies towards violence, manipulation, dishonesty, gambling or drug addictions.

It is possible to accept difficult family members if one sets good boundaries - preferably written and signed with clear and immediate consequences if an agreement is broken. It means arranging means to make it impossible for rules to be broken - like no access to other people's money, good locks on doors and so forth. It means having a plan-B place for the family member to go if things don't work out.

Adults are not irresponsible for no reason. It's always a symptom of something else - maybe the end result of a chain of other factors.

For instance, your husband's father might have suffered his whole life from undiagnosed ADHD. The temporal lobes are up to 30% smaller, with small nerve fibres and fewer fibres in each bundle of nerves. This affects the executive functions of the brain; the capacity to pay attention is impaired, not consistently, but chronically, erratically every few seconds or less. This affects memory, working memory, planning, decision-making, inhibition (ability to stop or change at need), impulsiveness and risk-taking.
    It can be diagnosed and treated.
    And because the brain is neuro-plastic, there is no age at which developing coping strategies cannot begin.

Do you get on well with your father-in-law? What about other members of the family?
    If he did come to live with you - I think he'd have to agree to respecting the rules of your household.
    And he'd have to be aware that he's no longer in a position to play Dad, Patriarch or Boss - including guilt-tripping.
    Would probably be better if he could have a separate room or studio-flat.

This car that your father-in-law is buying - would it work as a place to sleep?
    Would he do well in a camper-van? Could he afford camp-site fees? This post was edited by inky at October 1, 2019 4:37 AM MDT
      September 28, 2019 1:51 AM MDT

It might be something undiagnosed.  He says he's a perfectionist.  Everybody else says it's obsessive-compulsive.  I get along great with him and he thinks I'm pretty cool but everybody else says he has a temper which I've never seen but I hear it's pretty bad.

Hubby gets along with him but my husband also wants his dad to live independently but my F-I-L just wants to move in with us.  My husband found out that his dad wasn't at all in danger of being homeless, he just didn't like the housing offers he had which were really good but he would've had to move to a part of the country he just doesn't like.
      September 30, 2019 1:37 PM MDT

If that family member is a good person in general, practices good hygiene and respects our household standards, can contribute to our common effort in some positive capacity, and most importantly doesn’t bring unwelcome baggage or conflict into my home, there is a chance I’d say yes. Nothing challenges a relationship like cohabitation. 

In the example you give, absolutely no way. I will not be guilted or bullied into surrendering my sacred living space to a disagreeable loser who believes they are entitled to sponge off of us. 
      September 28, 2019 4:57 AM MDT

My husband was opposed to his dad moving in with us.  I probably would've said yes but obviously my husband has more experience with his own parents than I do and he has a lot of experience with cohabitation challenging relationships.  He saw that with his grandma moving in with his mom.  The thing he said was that Grandma moved in and ruled with an iron fist so definitely not good for relationships and he doesn't want anything like that again.
      September 30, 2019 1:43 PM MDT

We should never give in to the demands of others when they so directly oppose our better judgement. 
    Im glad you all have thought this through. 
      September 30, 2019 2:04 PM MDT

I'm with Randy. If hubby's dad was just a born loser with zero assets, you could consider it - but he's spending money on a new car.
      September 28, 2019 8:10 AM MDT

I most likely would, unless the person was an actively using addict/alcoholic  or has proven to be unsafe in some other way. I've spent too many years living with people whose behaviors induce fear, and I'm not going back there. 
      September 28, 2019 8:28 AM MDT

Under the circumstances you described, no I would not.  What is he going to say about your husband - that he refused to subsidize him so he could afford a new car?  Let him.
      September 28, 2019 8:52 AM MDT

Your husbands doubts are there for a reason, he should trust his instinct. As the saying goes "If in doubt, leave it out."

It's not a good idea to do something because you feel guilty,  because you are then doing something not because you actually want to do it and have a good feeling, but because you want to avoid a bad feeling, and that's dishonest.  In doing something to avoid feeling bad, in this instance you could end up feeling worse, you could end up feeling resentful. This post was edited by kjames at September 30, 2019 8:50 PM MDT
      September 28, 2019 5:22 PM MDT

Yes and no. I have done so in the past and I would do it again even though it's a terrible idea.

However, I wouldn't do it under the circumstances you describe. At least the way it works here, and from what I've seen with those I know, Social Security is not enough to live off. It would work if you've got your house paid off or are renting a really cheap room somewhere, but otherwise, you're choosing between shelter and food or paying the power bill and food. New car or not, it's not enough to live off. BUT, here, those circumstances usually qualify people for things like housing assistance. He could either get free or subsidized housing in a traditional apartment or, depending on circumstances, may be able to get into an assisted living situation where they provide the meals. Since those options are likely on the table, I probably would not let the person move in.
      September 29, 2019 1:06 AM MDT

I don't know the first thing about getting government benefits so I never thought about that.  When I lost my first job as an adult I looked at the unemployment benefits form and I thought it would just be easier to go out and get another job right away so that's what I did.  My F-I-L gets very little from Social Security but after my husband talked with him yesterday he found out his dad was actually doing better than he would've had my husband believe in the desperate e-mails he sent last week.  

Apparently there's something else going on besides money issues so hubby got all stressed out about dad when he didn't really need to be because he had housing lined up but it wasn't as good to him as moving in with family members.  It's kind of hard to explain but for some reason his dad wants to have the whole family living in one big house.  I have lots of space on my property but my farmhouse itself isn't that big. This post was edited by Livvie at October 2, 2019 5:15 PM MDT
      September 30, 2019 2:02 PM MDT

• Yes I'd feel obligated to do what I could to help out.  I wouldn't let it go beyond the means of my own immediate family's survival though. 
      September 30, 2019 6:37 AM MDT