Active Now

Spunky
CosmicWunderkind
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » My fellow Baby Boomers, let’s boggle the minds of these ‘Lennials and Gen-Xers with an AnswerMug Challenge:

My fellow Baby Boomers, let’s boggle the minds of these ‘Lennials and Gen-Xers with an AnswerMug Challenge:

Cell phones, mobile phones, smartphones, whatever you want to call them, almost everyone on the planet has one nowadays, even youngsters of single digit age.  There are millions of people alive today who don’t know what life was like or could be like without those phones. There are also millions of other people who remember very well what life was like before those types of phones ever existed: you and I.

Let’s collectively compile a list of things that involve telephones as they were when you and I were growing up, things that the whippersnappers don’t know about, things that show a comparison between then and now.   I’ll start:

1. All of the members of an entire family had exactly one home telephone number, which would remain the same for years, decades even.  Forgetting your own phone number was as probable as forgetting your own name.

2. There were no telephones sold in stores, they were the property of the  telephone company, which supplied you with your home telephone when you subscribed for service.  When you moved to a new address, your choices were to arrange to take the telephone to the new house if you were staying local, or turn it in to the phone company if you were not.

3. Before cordless phones, and before cords that could be plugged into and taken out of phone jacks, your home phone was truly hard-wired into the wall. The location of the phone and the length of the phone cord were both fixed, non-changing entities.

4. At least once a year, the phone company would deliver new phone books the every residence and every business address. Where I lived, there were two separate books: the white pages and the yellow pages.  The former listed residential numbers, the latter listed business and government numbers. [Sidebar: where I live now, phone companies and other business interests kept dropping phone books on doorsteps for years after the internet had become the primary source for finding said info.  The majority of the deliveries went straight into trash bins, and far too many trees were killed for far too long before they finally got the message that times had changed.]

5. Don't even get me started on rotary-dial telephones.

Posted - October 5, 2019

Responses

Our old phones didn't remember numbers...our brains did.
    You had to pay for long distance calls.
    What was an area code?
    You could call an operator and get a phone number. I believe the number was '0'.
      October 5, 2019 5:08 AM MDT

Thanks, great entries!
    ~
      October 5, 2019 5:43 AM MDT

I have never programmed a number into a phone.  My house phones have the capacity as does my mobile.  I refuse to use it.  I rarely forget a phone number that I dial.  Seeing it is not the same.    
      October 5, 2019 2:14 PM MDT

October 5, 2019 6:15 AM MDT

Danged whippersnapper. Grrrrrrr. 
    ~
      October 6, 2019 6:24 AM MDT

It was really cool to have a 'teen line' so that you didn't share a phone with your parents.

The telephone was generally placed in a central area so it was easy to get to.  Later it became more common to put extension phones in the bedroom or kitchen.

It was pretty common to get a busy signal because answering machines were not used much and voice mail didn't exist. You could ask the operator to check if the line was working or have her (it was always a her) interrupt in an emergency.

You could pay extra for a phone that matched your decor or had a longer cord. (Prior to that all phones were black.)

There was a time when phone numbers had letter prefixes instead of all numbers.  You would state your number as TAylor 5-1234. You never needed an area code for a local number.

October 5, 2019 6:40 AM MDT

Perfect, perfect, perfect. 

:)
      October 5, 2019 6:42 AM MDT

EVergreen 5-1039. My number growing up.
      October 5, 2019 7:30 AM MDT

As a Gen Xer:

1. Yes the family had the same house phone number. But we had more than on phone. Which allowed for a parent to sneakily listen in on a call.

2. I did not know that the phones where like cable boxes and given by the phone company.
    3. Did not know that.
    4. Phone books.  I still recieve phone books every year.
    5. I have used a rotary phone. 

How having to answer the phone with no idea of who is on the other line. 
      October 5, 2019 7:31 AM MDT

Prior to 1985 the telephone company owned the phones.  That changed after divestiture (the breakup of AT&T by the Justice Department) in 1985.
      October 5, 2019 2:08 PM MDT

I will take your word for it. I was in 4th and 5th grade in 1985.  I know in in by 1987 I had my own phone in my room....same number of course. 
      October 5, 2019 2:58 PM MDT

Your communication was actually private and secure ---- anything otherwise was illegal.   That is the nature of land lines.  I have one and always will unless it becomes an impossibility.  My local company says they will continue to provide a land line via the fiber network they are building out.  The only difference will be the service will not work in a power outage since fiber cannot carry the voltage that copper can.  The company will offer a battery back up of some kind.  I would just get a solar solution for that small amount of electricity needed.  
      October 5, 2019 2:29 PM MDT

How about party lines, did any of you have one of those?
      October 5, 2019 2:54 PM MDT

No, but I was part of the celebration party when we (the Bell company) got rid of the last one in my state.  
      October 5, 2019 3:01 PM MDT

I never had one but I know they were still available in my state at late as 1995.  I had just moved here and had never heard of one when the telephone company was asking me if I wanted one or a private line.   
      October 5, 2019 3:13 PM MDT

When my mom and dad moved the family out into the country in 1956 (I was 8 years old) we had one rotary dial phone which was on a party-line. I believe there were two other numbers on this line. My oldest sister now lives in that house and she still has the same number that we had in 1956. Ah, the good old days when life was much simpler. I do have a cell phone now but I rarely turn it on. I do so only when the power goes out (land-line hooked into the internet modem) and when I drive from one place to another. :)
      October 5, 2019 3:24 PM MDT

You have VOIP rather than a land line if your phone is hooked into the internet .  That is internet phone service.  I have found it to be inadequate for every purpose, so I depend on my landline.  I have a little mobile phone for when out and about.  I really hate the mobile phone.
      October 5, 2019 11:28 PM MDT

I'm GenX and I remember all of those. The house I lived in from age 8 up until the day I got married had a rotary phone. Right up until 2007 I had a landline - until a pair of teenagers ran up a four figure phone bill, calling their friends' mobiles from the home phone.
      October 6, 2019 4:59 AM MDT

I thought you were a Baby Boomer. 

~
      October 6, 2019 6:19 AM MDT

Born in 1969. My mother watched Armstrong take that one small step while breastfeeding me.
      October 6, 2019 6:20 AM MDT

People who appeared to be talking to themselves or some invisible entity were considered to be having a psychotic breakdown or off their faces on drugs. We avoided them.

When you met someone new and gave them your phone number, you would also give them the times you were most likely to be at home and available.

If you didn't know someone's preferences, etiquette demanded you never ring in only work hours for business or early evening for social matters.
    Unless it was a medical emergency - it was considered unbelievably offensive to ring a person at a time inconvenient to them.

When out and about in public, every village and shopping centre had a public payphone in a weatherproof box a bit smaller the Dr Who's Tardis, with glass windows and doors, usually near a post-office. It was one of the primary aids in emergencies of any sort but was also often used by people who didn't want to be overheard. Some households had a small telephone-room with a comfortable chair.

Petrol stations, chemists (drug stores), small owner-operated grocery stores and big department stores had payphones inside.

If you broke down on the side of the road, someone would either give you a lift to the next garage, or they'd deliver a message to send a mechanic back to help you. They'd also happily ring anyone you nominated and pass on your message.

In the '80', answer machines came in - tape recordings you could selectively keep. (In Australia,) it was illegal to record calls without the other person's knowledge - but people often did, especially if they suspected a scam or harassment - the evidence could still be used

If you needed to make a call from someone else's phone, one asked permission and left the right change to cover the cost of it.

This post was edited by inky at October 7, 2019 2:11 PM MDT
      October 6, 2019 10:53 AM MDT

I still avoid them.
      October 6, 2019 4:15 PM MDT

3 - I'm 46 and old enough to remember that. When I first read your question I doubted it . . . but then I recalled a song that was on the radio called "Pull the Wires From the Wall" by the Delgados, from the mid-90s I think. So that proves it.

4 - We still get a Phone Book (white pages) and Yellow Pages delivered every year but they are about 1/10 and 1/5 as thick as they used to be back in the 1980s. 

5 - Again, I remember rotary dial - I think they went out about 1990.
      October 28, 2019 2:09 PM MDT