Discussion » Questions » Shopping » if you could travel back in time to visit your great great grandparents with a gift from the here and now, what would you take them?

if you could travel back in time to visit your great great grandparents with a gift from the here and now, what would you take them?

Posted - December 15, 2019

Responses

Family Pictures and chocolate ice cream. 
      December 15, 2019 10:17 AM MST

Nice!! :) :)
      December 15, 2019 7:48 PM MST

A microwave oven and the latest steam iron ,plus some bags of electricity or even a generator and some fuel and a Cuppichino bean to cup coffee making machine.....and some shoes ...:)
      December 15, 2019 10:22 AM MST

Shoes!  Of Course!!  Shoes!
    Of all the trends that have come and gone.  I would love to see their faces!  
    That, actually, is a really fun idea!
      December 15, 2019 7:51 PM MST

It took a lot of sole serching to think that one up..  :) 
      December 15, 2019 8:41 PM MST

Thinking about it. Each year I go back in time when the clocks go back....:)D
      December 15, 2019 10:24 AM MST

A heart shaped silver locket  with a photo of my 2 Grandkids inside. But I would hide it in the center of a big wheel of cheese (probably cheddar) that way they could have a feast while they admired their future relatives. Cheers!
      December 15, 2019 11:10 AM MST

Pics of my grand kids.
    A warning to get the hell out of Russia while they still can.
      December 15, 2019 11:46 AM MST

But stay away from the Titanic!
      December 15, 2019 12:08 PM MST

(grandkids)
      December 15, 2019 4:49 PM MST

I'd bring them forward in time, to show them the consequences of what they did to the Gunditjmara people in the Western District of Victoria and the Nungar-Wongi people in the Kalgoorlie district of Western Australia. And the vast fires in the Amazon, Indonesia and elsewhere - all adding to the CO2 in the atmosphere.

I'd show them, right here, right now, the 2M hectares of burnt out forest (still burning), the hundreds of homes destroyed, the deaths and dying of people animals and wildlife, the extinction of wildlife species all happening now at an unprecedented scale (10 times larger and fiercer than ever before) and directly due to global warming.

I'd show them the droughts where for decades the Sahara desert has been surging South, starving the land and people and creating exiles and wars, where the Middle East is becoming a place that requires imported food to survive, and the threat of loss of everything turns people towards fanatical and fundamentalists versions of faith so that they turn on each other and start bombing, raping, torturing, murdering and enslaving in the name of IS - and when defeated go underground to regroup and start again.

I'd show them the destruction of 90% of the Great Barrier Reef and all other coral reefs around the world - and how 90% of ocean life used to be spawned in these reefs. And the vast blooms of jellyfish destroying other marine life. And the dying of the plankton that produces so much of our world's oxygen.

I'd show them the 40% loss of ice in the Arctic, the melting ice shelves of the Antarctic, the melting glaciers in Greenland, the Himalayas and the Swiss Alps; the rising sea levels that are swamping Alabama USA, Pacific Islands, Venice in Italy, Bangladesh and every other low lying and highly populated area.

I'd take them into a science lab and show them exactly how and why greenhouse gases cause these effects.

Then I'd show them renewable energy alternatives; solar voltaic, solar thermal, wind power, hydropower and wave power.
      December 15, 2019 12:12 PM MST

Whoa! ..that's a lot of "gift"
      December 15, 2019 1:25 PM MST

A capital letter to properly begin your sentence.  Hey, wait, that wouldn’t do them any good . . .

December 15, 2019 3:14 PM MST

It wasn't a sentence,  it was a question. 
      December 15, 2019 4:06 PM MST

A question is an interrogative sentence. That’s taught in elementary school. 
    ~
      December 15, 2019 4:48 PM MST

Flu vaccine. 

After coming home from WWI, in 1918, my great grandfather died of flu, his wife nearly died. Also I’d take a copy of the NYT from Dec 7, 1941. 

December 15, 2019 4:50 PM MST

Something like that might change the timeline. Really not sure about this part but I'm wondering if a person living in 1918 would be able to handle a modern day flu shot because immune systems might be different these days.  Cheers!

December 15, 2019 5:08 PM MST

I would bring them 10k for one of my great grand's homemade banana creme pies.  I would give everything I got just to spend time with them again.  They were awesome.  They were the kindest humans alive. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 15, 2019 7:54 PM MST
      December 15, 2019 5:07 PM MST

I would bring them the gold band my great, great, grandpa bought for my great, great, grandma for her to wear as a token of his love.

It has been passed down from generation to generation.  I know for a fact, the day they were married and that wedding band was placed on her finger, she never took it off.

As I write, I am wearing it right now on my wedding finger.  I have my wedding ring from Don and that gold band.

I think they would be very pleased to see it still being worn and has brought wonderful memories and fulfilling love to the women in our family.  It is an honor to wear it today and all the days that will follow.  It makes me smile. 

This post was edited by Merlin at December 15, 2019 8:19 PM MST
      December 15, 2019 8:03 PM MST

That's a good question.  My great-great-grandfather came to the Boston, Mass. area from Ostersund, Sweden.  He was a woodworker and made fine furniture, jewelry boxes, mirror frames and that sort.  I think he would really like a set of modern woodworking tools.  Gee that story sounded interesting at first and then fell flat. How about an ice chest to keep his food fresh?  Hey wait, how big can this thing be? How about a tanker of gasoline made up like a Motor Home?  ...no need to build a cabin or cut firewood for the winter.  It'd give him a good start in the New World. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at December 16, 2019 8:46 PM MST
      December 16, 2019 8:42 PM MST