Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Shuhak
Pet Eater
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » Britons, do you look down on uninformed and uncultured cretins (like me) who know absolutely nothing about the show “Dr. Who”? ~

Britons, do you look down on uninformed and uncultured cretins (like me) who know absolutely nothing about the show “Dr. Who”? ~

Posted - December 19, 2019

Responses

There's a legion of Australian Doctor Who fans, too - including my daughter and sister-in-law. I took an interest in the late 70s and early 80s, less so now. My favourite Doctor was his fifth incarnation, played by Peter Davison - aka "Tristan". We had a math teacher in high school who was a dead ringer for the fourth Doctor, Tom Baker - so much so that the Class of '86 got him a trench coat identical with the one Baker wore in the series, our class the year after supplied the scarf and jelly babies. He was a good sport about it and wore them in cold weather.

Fun fact - the tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant, is married to Davison's daughter, Georgia Moffett. Moffett played Tennant's cloned daughter in one episode.

Since I doubt the program is even aired in the US, there's no need to refer to Americans as "uncultured cretins".
      December 19, 2019 9:32 PM MST

Cretin me all you desire.  It's airs almost every night on cable and we have watched it a couple of times.
    The humor is a bit different than American humor. I like it.  I don't know a whole lot about the show but what I do know, I think is humorous.
    I have a feeling it is similar to our "Quantum Leap."  I liked that show.
      December 19, 2019 10:51 PM MST

Not knowing about Dr Who in the US surprises me.
    It's such a unique form of science fiction that I would have thought it would be popular in the USA.
    In Australia, the series has always had an enormous following. Ari is one of the fans.

But how can one look down on anyone for matters of cultural taste?
    People choose the culture of their choice, usually the one they grew up with and are most familiar with.
    Some people prefer sports over the arts.

I like to be cosmopolitan, meaning to sample cultures from all over the world, but over time I've developed my favourites.

Some like chilli. Others prefer sugar or salt. I like umami.
    But there's nothing less than or greater than in these preferences.
      December 19, 2019 11:54 PM MST

• Its popular here.
      December 20, 2019 12:37 PM MST

Not knowing about Dr Who in the US surprises me.
    It's such a unique form of science fiction that I would have thought it would be popular in the USA.
    In Australia, the series has always had an enormous following. Ari is one of the fans.

But how can one look down on anyone for matters of cultural taste?
    People choose the culture of their choice, usually the one they grew up with and are most familiar with.
    Some people prefer sports over the arts.

I like to be cosmopolitan, meaning to sample cultures from all over the world, but over time I've developed my favourites.

Some like chilli. Others prefer sugar or salt. I like umami.
    But there's nothing less than or greater than in these preferences.
      December 19, 2019 11:54 PM MST

Duplicate post. 
    ~
      December 20, 2019 6:56 PM MST

• Its an okay a show.  Some runs better than others.  By and large it's a sci-fi show for people who aren't really that into sci-fi.  It's mass market palatable prime time sci-fi.
      December 20, 2019 12:40 PM MST

It started in the 1960s, with William Hartnell in the title role. BBC special effects weren't terribly special back then, so it's a lot of fun to see how much it has evolved. Unlike a lot of packaged sf, it actually has a storyline - it's about the characters rather than the tech. It's as watchable as Star Trek, and for the same reasons.
      December 20, 2019 6:53 PM MST

• I know the history of Who.  Just saying,  its sci-fi light for normies.  It's merely an okay show.  It's no Star Trek or Babylon 5 though.
      December 21, 2019 6:27 AM MST

Yes,you know I do still and always have done as you know....but it's so nice now that at last your seeking advice from your betters....
    Look on this as a new start in life and we can now move on with all your other trival obsession....Hehe
      December 21, 2019 8:42 AM MST