Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What do virus and infections get out of killing their prey....? Surely to keep them alive to feed of them makes more sense...

What do virus and infections get out of killing their prey....? Surely to keep them alive to feed of them makes more sense...

Is it just a quirk of nature when it's just got its sums wrong....I find it strange that it bites the hand that feeds it....:(

Posted - February 1, 2020

Responses

They just don't know any better. Likewise mankind has been killing the life sustaining planet earth but at least finally there are some who are making awareness and trying to do something about it. 
      February 1, 2020 4:48 AM MST

That's so true....I just can't get my head around why kill when you don't need to and just live in your host what happen these viruses when the host dies and rots away to nothing....?
      February 1, 2020 4:59 AM MST

Maybe nature just got its sums wrong or is all life and nature just trial and error ...?
      February 1, 2020 5:00 AM MST

It is a natural constant that the one common purpose intrinsic to all forms of life is to propagate (reproduce itself), but none, other than [most] humans, are capable of contemplating their own death or extinction. 
      February 1, 2020 5:05 AM MST

I never thought of that....What do life forms think if they have no language to comunicate with...
      February 1, 2020 5:25 AM MST

Right. The one imperative in all life is to survive, no thought is required. Relatively few life forms, and certainly not viruses, are even capable of reasoning. 
      February 1, 2020 6:01 AM MST

They may have a forms of communication that vastly differ from what we as humans use to communicate with each other or with other species. It’s also possible that humans do not know or do not understand that communication is taking place with other species. 
    ~
      February 1, 2020 7:45 AM MST

A virus has no capacity to think. It is just following it food source and the environment that allows it to survive.
      February 1, 2020 7:53 AM MST

I'd like to see a form of cancer that destroys other types of cancer.  
      February 1, 2020 8:50 AM MST

Now that’s thinking!  We need to get some grant money into BH Wilson’s hands immediately! Someone call the American Cancer Society, the CDC, Johns Hopkins University, and the Mayo Clinic stat!
    ~

February 1, 2020 10:16 AM MST

The virus is just trying to live and do its thing. The fact that it causes us to die isn’t necessarily in its cognitive plans. 
      February 1, 2020 11:11 AM MST

Wierd that they just evolved to kill I think...
      February 1, 2020 1:51 PM MST

It’s not the virus itself that does the killing—it’s our bodies reacting to it and throwing everything out of whack. We actually kill ourselves in reaction to the foreign thing in our system. The virus is just trying to survive. 
      February 1, 2020 2:56 PM MST

How strange nature is sometimes...how on earth do these bugs work things out or is it just trial and error over billions of years of Everloution and constant mutations
      February 1, 2020 3:44 PM MST

I suppose so. 
      February 1, 2020 3:52 PM MST