Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Do you believe that violent criminals should be tortured in the same manner that they hurt their victims?

Do you believe that violent criminals should be tortured in the same manner that they hurt their victims?

Posted - February 4, 2020

Responses

• Yes!!!
      February 4, 2020 6:50 PM MST

An eye for an eye is not unreasonable in certain circumstances.....it would certainly stop in an instant reoffenders.. 
      February 4, 2020 6:57 PM MST

• They should be punished like that White Bear episode from Black Mirror. I watched that this weekend and it’s so faaaked up. 

February 4, 2020 7:56 PM MST

Haven’t watched that show yet. Do you recommend it? 
      February 4, 2020 7:57 PM MST

• That’s the only episode I’ve ever watched of the show. a friend of mine stayed at my house on the weekend  and he made me watch one episode and picked that one. I guess each episode is stand alone episode. it’s pretty dark and twisted. you’d like it :) watch the White bear episode and tell me what you think..
      February 4, 2020 8:00 PM MST

Will do! 
      February 4, 2020 8:01 PM MST

• It’s on Netflix..I was upset after I watched that one episode so I had to watch toy story 4 to calm down. 
      February 4, 2020 8:03 PM MST

Oh wow, lol. I probably will just find it mundane then, haha. :p
      February 4, 2020 8:08 PM MST

• That episode is all about torture, so it might amuse you:) I‘ll probably watch more of it on a weekend but I don’t feel like it would be good for me on a work night. I have enough sleep issues lol. It would probably calm you to sleep. 
      February 4, 2020 8:11 PM MST

It might actually get me so excited, I can’t sleep—that is if the torture scenes are really good. Sometimes I spend hours of the night dedicated to my fantasies and gore videos. 
      February 4, 2020 8:13 PM MST

• This was more psychological torture so it might not be your thing.   
      February 4, 2020 8:16 PM MST

Yeah, I am more into the physical stuff, although I still enjoy the psychological as an art form, particularly if the torturer is thoroughly enjoying what they do. 
      February 4, 2020 8:17 PM MST

• They did, and there were some electric drills to a persons spine.. so you might like that. 
      February 4, 2020 8:18 PM MST

Ooh, yes, drills in the spine is speaking my language. 
      February 4, 2020 8:19 PM MST

•  let me know if you end up watching it. I’m gonna go watch finding Nemo or something so I can sleep lol :) have a good night. 
      February 4, 2020 8:20 PM MST

I put the episode on right now. Have a good night! 
      February 4, 2020 8:27 PM MST

Ya but that's bad for the environment (wasting electricity) unless you use a Braising bit drill (one of those old hand crank drills). Cheers!
      February 4, 2020 8:43 PM MST

Maybe in some cases, I can’t say I’m against the idea. I think there is a cultural basis for reciprocity (eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth), but carried out by whom? Some crimes are so heinous or sickening so as not to be returnable in kind. 

Let’s consider the philosophical angle that opposes this as a practice: would such direct reciprocity not make US as bad(evil) as THEM? Would the punisher(s) not then also be as criminal, as morally reprehensible as the perp?  From a certain perspective, is it our place to take vengeance; are we “playing God”? 

As a median position then, I vote the victim or their family gets a primary role in determining the style of justice, but maintaining a moral standard short of barbarism, which obliges the courts to act on. 

February 4, 2020 8:20 PM MST

I don’t believe it would make the justice system as bad because the person being harmed earned their punishment. There is a huge difference between torturing an innocent person and torturing someone who tortured an innocent person. It’s not the torture that is wrong here, but the harm of an innocent. 

I only dream of such a job where you could legally be allowed to torture and murder criminals. It would be a great outlet for those who want to torture without the risk of prison. 
      February 4, 2020 8:30 PM MST

I think you are either deeply disturbed or FOS. Big talk. How old are you? 

February 4, 2020 8:56 PM MST

I‘m 30. I’m not full of it. This is an obsession and fantasy I have had for decades. 
      February 4, 2020 9:09 PM MST

I would suggest to you that imagining what it is like to inflict torture is an entirely different world from actually doing it. People say they can climb mountains, or quit smoking, but that doesn’t mean they can, or will once the reality of the claim sets in. 

To say/claim you can compartmentalize your feelings in such a scenario is part of the fantasy. Fact is, as I have personally witnessed on the battlefield, we can never be too certain how anyone will react under extreme situations. 
    You may feel otherwise, but experience has shown me the emptiness of such claims from those unproven in the task. 

February 5, 2020 3:07 PM MST

And I would suggest you are wrong. I have inflicted immense pain on people before and put a kid in the hospital when I was a teen. I have seen people in immense pain, including watching a friend get mangled in a car accident right in front of me. I have also killed a number of animals. I am not only absolutely sure I could follow through on this, it is something I intend to experience at some point. So if my claim is empty as you believe, then I will find out for sure. 
      February 5, 2020 3:45 PM MST

If you say so, sweetie. Count me among the doubters. 

You should explore counseling for your unhealthy preoccupation, regardless. 

February 5, 2020 4:04 PM MST