Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Think of a vehicle you previously owned yet hated. What make and model was it, and why did you hate it? ~

Think of a vehicle you previously owned yet hated. What make and model was it, and why did you hate it? ~

Posted - March 2, 2020

Responses

1975 Triumph TR7. Many problems with the dam thing, something always going wrong with it and sometimes parts had to be ordered from overseas  (UK). And expensive too.

I learned later that 1975 was the worst year for the TR7s. Union employees were doing a lot of sloppy work. 
      March 2, 2020 9:33 PM MST

(dam damn)
      March 2, 2020 11:34 PM MST

*a vehicle.
      March 2, 2020 9:50 PM MST

Thank you. 
    ~
      March 2, 2020 11:35 PM MST

I had a 63? Ford Econoline van. The engine mounts broke and the engine flopped over on it's side. Then one night while my buddies and me were coming home from the races, a drunk driver hit the back end and destroyed it. 
      March 2, 2020 10:08 PM MST

(it’s its)
      (my buddies and me I)
      March 2, 2020 11:37 PM MST

Sounds like a mixed blessing, that prang. :)
      March 3, 2020 12:00 AM MST

2018 Toyota Camry and it Is my NEMESIS 

its too low too wide and too long. who designs a sedan like that? 
      March 2, 2020 10:23 PM MST

1970 Volvo 144. A pile of junk. Heavy, handled like a pig, fuel consumption obscene for a 4-cyl, and quite often one carby would fail or clog leaving me running on 2 cylinders.
    Eventually it dropped a rail in the gearbox, I drove it at a top speed of 20 mph (second gear) to the junkyard.
      March 2, 2020 11:07 PM MST

Yes, I've heard of others regretting their Volvos;
    high turn around on resales, they say.

March 3, 2020 12:03 AM MST

I've only hated one car; my husband bought it for me as a surprise.  Boy was it!  1977 Cutlass Supreme.  It was a good car, just kept going and going.  Eventually a friend's company (Chevy dealership) bought it from me for over blue book.  I got myself another two-door four-speed small car.
      March 2, 2020 11:10 PM MST

What a coincidence: my entry is also the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme two-door sedan. I believe it was the 1987 model, I bought it in 1993 when I returned from an overseas deployment . They called its color silver but it was actually grey. My choice was either that one or a sleek black 1986 Saab.  The Saab owner couldn’t show me the car for another few days, and needing transportation badly, I went with the Olds instead.  I chose poorly, and I’ve always wondered what if . . .

Within a very short time, I was a member of the Part-of-the-Month-Club; something died or broke down or fell off or just stopped running properly every single month. Then, after about 14 months of that, the danged thing began stalling in traffic all the time. It eventually refused to run at all, and I became a bus rider. The experience soured me on Oldsmobile cars so much that I will never buy one again.  (I knew I should have waited a day or two for that chick-magnet. Grrrrrr.)

March 2, 2020 11:53 PM MST

Mine actually ran well and I do not recall it having much in the way of repairs.  I hated the look of it, the old-person look and feel of it.  Husband bought it for me; I was selling real estate at the time and I really needed a new car; I was driving a beat up Pinto that I loved like a puppy.   I think he worried too about me driving around with a newborn in the old Pinto.  Anyway, he's gone and so is that car!  :)
      March 3, 2020 2:00 PM MST

Once again, I agree with you on the look of the car. I was single at the time that I owned it, and one night when I was on a first date with a woman, she looked at my car with surprise and jokingly called it an old man’s family car. Uggggghhhh. Why didn’t I wait for the chick-magnet?  Grrrrrrrr. 

March 4, 2020 5:51 AM MST

I loved my 86 Olds highway boat and had few problems with it. Also 32 MPG highway.
      March 3, 2020 5:19 PM MST

Why did you hate it if it ran well?
      March 3, 2020 10:55 AM MST

It was a granny car.  I have always hated cars that bounce when you go over a bump.  I prefer to just feel the one bump and skip the bouncy bouncy bounce.  The speedometer  went across the dash in a straight horizontal line but the needle operated on a stem so I never was sure how fast I was actually going.  I think I hated it also because I didn't get to choose it.  My husband came home one night with it calling it a gift for me.  Well, yes, it was to be my car (he drove a van) but when I divorced him I had a brand new car in the driveway in 12 days.  Pontiac GrandAm two-door manual trans.  That's my kind of car, well, until I moved to my Explorer Sport which was a real truck with a five-speed two-doors.  I recently sold it because it was headed for huge repair bill and my little 4'7" mother could not get into it...I had to lift her.  Now I have a little Hyundai that is great for her.  I hope she's with us a long time but when she goes, so will this car.  And if I was in another state I might keep two vehicles but Florida's insurance rates make it seem kind of stupid.
      March 3, 2020 1:56 PM MST

1988 Nissan pickup (I bought it brand new). 

It was ok for several years, but then it decided it would die any and everywhere it pleased.  No mechanic could find anything wrong with it.  It was bad enough the few times it died just as I pulled into the parking lot of work (took nearly 20 minutes for it to finally start so I could get it out of the road (blocking the entrance) and into a parking space).  And when it died when I was pulling onto the freeway .. then hit a patch of ice and slammed into the curb (but luckily didn't go over the edge and down the embankment).  But when it decided to die on the freeway when I was in the fast lane doing 55 mph going up a moderate hill, that was the last straw - especially since it took nearly 45 minutes to finally get the POS started again!  The next day I bummed a ride down to the Toyota dealer and bought myself a new Toyota truck ... which I'm still using today.
      March 2, 2020 11:21 PM MST

Hm.
    I half-hated it.
    It was the 2001 Landcruiser Turbo-deisel.
    It was a lemon.
    No other year had that particular computer programming.

A stone flung by a passing car smashed the front windscreen.
    Unknown to me, when O'Brien's replaced the glass, they did not seal the edges properly.
    Rain leaked in under the dashboard and slowly ate away at all the copper wiring.
    Odd warning lights began to switch themselves on, but the mechanics could find no fault with the ABS breaks, seatbelts, door latches, etc.
    Six years later, I lost my keys. No locksmith owned a copy of the security program - didn't think it was worth it because the need didn't come up often enough to justify the cost - Aus$1,200.
    So of course Shmucko here buys the program for the locksmith, doesn't she?
    After all, the resale value of the cruiser is still up at around $15,000, so cheaper to fix than sell and re-buy.

When that car finally karked it, I decided never to buy another.
    Well, I couldn't by that stage - not enough dosh left.
    But hubby had other ideas and he bought one - second hand, different year - and it has a whole different set of problems.
    Landcruisers prior to 2000 used to be one of the most reliable 4WD's on the market - much desired because every garage around Australia stocked parts. But ever since they stopped manufacturing here, it's been a different story. Service and supplies steadily dropped. Now, it's not worth having one. There are far better brands available.

March 2, 2020 11:37 PM MST

Thanks!  (By the way: does “dosh” mean cash?)
    ~
      March 2, 2020 11:56 PM MST

Yep. :)
    And "kark" means die.
      March 2, 2020 11:59 PM MST

• Not that any of them were inherently bad or really even hated but every single vehicle I've owned has paled in comparison to the sweetest ride of all...

March 3, 2020 11:00 AM MST

It was a love hate Mercedes diesel 7 seat  Vito Passenger van......Suburb to drive yet all models had terrible fuel  injector problems....The head design and how the diesel injectors were held in the head just let them leak by and the carbon deposits just welded the injectors in the head...
    My brothers use to repair it and it still cost a fortune in just new parts....
    The most comfortable vechile to drive with its high up seating position.....any repair to the engine was a night mare to fix at best....
      March 3, 2020 5:48 PM MST

My first car was Chevy Vega -the only car that rusted on the showroom floor. I also used to fill the oil more often than I filled the gas. 
      March 3, 2020 7:06 PM MST