Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Language » What are some various types of awakenings, other than waking up after having been asleep?

What are some various types of awakenings, other than waking up after having been asleep?

~

Posted - May 2, 2020

Responses

A Spiritual awakening tops my list.
    Waking up from this dream, Awakening from
    the illusion of this life to experience
    the ultimate truth within oneself.
         Experiencing That moment when there is no thought
    and realizing you are in the presence of that Divine
    ocean of consciousness,
    is the greatest experience, the greatest 
    awakening one can have.
       Yet few experience this because most people
    are too attached to their thoughts to
    let them go to see beyond them.
         Not to worry though
                  Be Happy

May 2, 2020 11:25 AM MDT

I sort of strive for your answer.

And I get closer, maybe. to know when to step away from my thoughts.

And your answer reminded me of a spiritual awakening of sorts for me.
    Even though I knew I could fall easily into this at-times unhealthy and illogical way of thinking for me, a friend shared this with me and its simple statement helps remind me. :) 

Don't Believe Everything You Think — Sojourn Grace Collective

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 3, 2020 7:39 AM MDT
      May 2, 2020 2:18 PM MDT

Absolutely! ;) :)   I can only speak for myself but I've been told by many others and have to know they are telling the truth.
    We all have scary thoughts at times.  I don't know why but we all seem to.  I know I have.

I have learned after years of wondering if I was truly a bad person for having such, something very simple.
    I am in control of my own thoughts.  I can change those.  I have a relative whom I love dearly.  He told me, when he had/has scary thoughts, he would stop them by singing, "These are a few of my favorite things," from The Sound of Music, verse after verse and all over again.  Eventually, he stopped having them so readily. 

You are good, Welby.
    :) :)

May 3, 2020 5:39 AM MDT

Hey, thanks, Merlin. :)
      May 3, 2020 11:38 AM MDT

You're welcome Welby!
    :) :) :) :)!!
      May 3, 2020 12:01 PM MDT

Yeah, I appreciated that - - a challenging day earlier, in some ways, but onward . . . 
    :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 3, 2020 12:25 PM MDT
      May 3, 2020 12:14 PM MDT

Some days aren't so good.. But there is good in all days.
    It is hard.  I am sitting here feeling and having real emotions and am attached to the conversations, questions, and answers.
    What I really need to do is get my butt in gear, talk to mom, dad, and sis on zoom in an hour and take a shower. 
    Your insight of "onward."
    See?  You inspired me to get moving and be proud of myself by changing my environment, i.e. cleaning with Don which i need to take advantage of since he is home right now, talk to my parents and sister and come back.
    Sometimes I put answerMug first. Not a mistake but definitely an addiction I need to be careful with.
    I don't want Don or anybody to feel second best.
    Thanks Welby!
    Love You! :) :)!! 
      May 3, 2020 12:33 PM MDT

Who said that?
    Ahhh Yes...
    Baba.  A very fine spirit.  Indeed!
    ;) :)
      May 3, 2020 5:05 AM MDT

The realization of that common sense need to prevail over and before all other things...
      May 2, 2020 12:00 PM MDT

A rude awakening.  
      May 2, 2020 2:06 PM MDT

Like me,you need to keep the door your door locked of a night or maybe give your Knight a key to your door....:) D
      May 2, 2020 2:22 PM MDT

I know what you are saying and I agree.  
    Literally, it brings to mind just that.
    I have been blessed with people who know it is important how to wake others.
    There is no need to stand at the door and yell, SHUHAK!  WAKE UP!!  Or anything or the sort.  Waking someone up nicely sets a mood for the day.  If the person is late for work or school, they are already going to a stress level off the rector scale.  No reason to start a day like that.  I nice cup of tea and/or coffee... a nice stretch... a jog or walk or whatever floats your passion.
    But, when coming out of sleep and into consciousness, there is no reason to make it rude experience.
    Thanks Shuhak for letting me share.  It really DOES make a difference. 
      May 3, 2020 5:30 AM MDT

True. 

However, the definition of 'rude awakening' is - A surprising and unpleasant discovery that one is mistaken.

Example - Should my credit card ever be compromised, the thief would be in for a rude awakening as my credit limit is pretty low.
      May 3, 2020 9:56 AM MDT

May 2, 2020 5:20 PM MDT

The realisation of some fact that's been right there in direct sense perception all along - but because it was so familiar it had become like background noise, unnoticed.

A sudden dawning of insight and empathy that enables us to better understand ourselves or someone else.

That moment when, after struggling and practicing for ages, we get the knack of a new skill and it becomes effortless, such as when a man learns how to lead or a woman, how to follow in the Tango.

There are countless others. It could be said that life is a series of awakenings, at least for some, and possibly for most of us.

This post was edited by inky at May 3, 2020 8:25 AM MDT
      May 2, 2020 6:43 PM MDT

Learning to let go.
    Knowing it will never be all done.
    Reading Siddhartha.
    Time and relevance.
    Appreciating the now.
    Courage.  We all have it but sometimes forget how strong we are. 
    No matter how much you stomp and yell and scream or honk your horn, the person in front of you is not going to change how they are driving or be courteous and pull over for you to easily pass. 
    Some things are going to be sad and still true.
    One person can make a difference.  
      May 3, 2020 5:20 AM MDT

Maybe like partial sleeping, that where you're half sleep and half wake; and I heard of sleep walking.
      May 3, 2020 6:32 AM MDT

My thinking was that born again Christians might feel they have had an awakening? Or, equally, I suppose someone who was religious but now feels they have been freed from that thinking? 
    On a smaller scale, perhaps when we study, and study something, read all we possibly can but don't quite understand it all, but then suddenly, find it all fits together and makes sense. We see it clearly now.
      May 3, 2020 7:43 AM MDT