Discussion » Questions » Politics » Which is more important: that Joe Biden selects a VP candidate based on competence, or on social demographics? ~

Which is more important: that Joe Biden selects a VP candidate based on competence, or on social demographics? ~

Posted - June 13, 2020

Responses

Very well put, thank you. 

~

June 14, 2020 6:38 AM MDT

Surely there are enough candidates from which to choose someone who fulfills both needs.
      June 14, 2020 7:21 AM MDT

You’re absolutely correct and I don’t dispute that at all, however, my question is which one do your you think he will make his first or top priority in deciding on a running mate. It’s not entirely a stretch to see that he has to appease potential voters and/or large subgroups of voters who might base their support of Biden chiefly on his choice of vice president. That’s already been seen among certain readings on the topic over the past couple of months. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at June 16, 2020 8:00 AM MDT
      June 14, 2020 8:02 AM MDT

I would like him to choose competence because should something happen and he is unable to fulfill his term in office, that will be the next leader of our country and we've already seen what happens when you have an incompetent in office.
      June 14, 2020 12:54 PM MDT

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. 

~

June 14, 2020 1:00 PM MDT

• On principle and for what is best for the country, competence.

To win, it may be social demographics. 
      June 15, 2020 10:33 AM MDT

Which of the two do you believe he will apply?
    ~

June 16, 2020 6:58 AM MDT

His first priority should be competence but I'm thinking he will go with social demographics.
      June 15, 2020 7:42 PM MDT

There hasn't been a competent VP since George H W Bush, so I hardly think it matters tbh.
      June 17, 2020 8:46 PM MDT

And that includes Biden himself....:)
      June 17, 2020 8:51 PM MDT

It does. Quayle was dumber than a brick, Gore a single-issue guy (a veep has to be more diverse than that), Cheney a lunatic who couldn't tell the difference between a lawyer and a quail, Biden was the Invisible Man and Pence is a dark ages Pharisee.
      June 17, 2020 8:58 PM MDT

• Neither competence nor social demographics will be a factor. The major factor is WHO in reality will be making the choice. I have difficulty believing that the tightly controlled Biden is the one making the selection. The Dems are taking this ticket to new lows. To be more exact, the basement, and that's about as low as it goes. You can bet your butt that skill, talent and capability will be out the window as we saw just today when the Marxists in the party put up a howl over the fact that Val Demming had been a police officer in the past. She couldn't do any worse than anyone on that list of losers that they've tossed around in recent weeks
      June 17, 2020 9:08 PM MDT

Thank you for your analysis.

Don't you contradict yourself with these following two statements?

"Neither competence nor social demographics will be a factor."

"You can bet your butt that skill, talent and capability will be out the window . . . "

Skill, talent and capability can be found in competence, and/or are synonymous with competence, especially when compared to demographics in context with this conversation.

Also, when you state that the two factors I offered will not be factors based on Biden himself not being the person who will make the final decision, can you at least acknowledge that whether or not he alone decides, it's the decision itself that is the subject of the question, not the entity or entities that reach it?  It's obvious that Biden has the Democrat Party and his own advisors and lawyers and pollsters and campaign staffers and pundits and speculators and this and that on his team who all have roles in getting him where he wants to be, as do all politicians.   

~
      June 17, 2020 11:10 PM MDT

competence
      June 21, 2020 2:56 PM MDT