Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Have you ever had a mentor?

Have you ever had a mentor?

Posted - December 2, 2020

Responses

I wish!

I applied for one when I first started at this uni (Southern Cross University), but the complications I had with my computer stymied the process. By the time I had everything fixed, it was too late to get partnered with a mentor.

I found my way around it by tapping every skeric of advice on SCU's online Blackboard, and consulting with academic staff and the librarians.

I would still love to have a mentor in the form of a Nobel or Pulitzer prize-winning novelist - but I know that's an impossible pipe dream.
      December 2, 2020 7:17 PM MST

I shall be your science mentor and we can dream of pipes. Nice answer.
      December 2, 2020 7:22 PM MST

Thank you!
    Where do we start?
    Perhaps with first principles.
    How do you define science?
    What is scientific method?
      December 3, 2020 2:30 PM MST

December 3, 2020 3:43 PM MST

How about becoming a mentor to/for someone yourself?
    ~

December 3, 2020 7:59 PM MST

No never, mentors always felt creepy to me..  kind of like Catholic priest or boy scout leaders. 
      December 3, 2020 4:18 PM MST

December 3, 2020 7:59 PM MST

Ok, day one, let me set the ground rules. First of all, you are to call me Uncle Randy, but that’s only when we’re alone, which will be most of the time. Next, you must never tell anyone a word about our sessions. More rules later, for right now, I need to know how well you can make a sandwich. I’ve set up a mock kitchen, no, no, no, not that door, that’s the mock bedroom. We will work our way up to that later. The mock kitchen is the door across the hall . . 

December 3, 2020 8:08 PM MST

Yes.
    Though not "officially" (none of them would consider themselves as a mentor to me) mentors, three people come to immediate mind - - in my life, all three started as work colleagues and they became dear friends in the process. My life and professions are bettered by their input in my life.
      December 3, 2020 7:46 PM MST

I'm not sure if this would qualify as being a mentor but the pastor of the church I attended was always there when I needed spiritual help.
      December 3, 2020 8:17 PM MST

Yes, and I have also BEEN a mentor. Now I'm just mental.
      December 4, 2020 2:48 AM MST