Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What is the best thing you do for people that makes them happy? (Do not include sex, food or money)

What is the best thing you do for people that makes them happy? (Do not include sex, food or money)

Posted - December 23, 2020

Responses

Besides those I'm not too include not sure there is anything. And even those are sometimes questionable though people seem to like them.  Some people enjoy my company, and I'm pretty efficient to work with. 
      December 23, 2020 6:25 AM MST

2 great qualities. 
      December 23, 2020 7:35 AM MST

Oh thank you. 
      December 23, 2020 8:05 AM MST

Volunteering in my neighborhood. 

~

December 23, 2020 7:15 AM MST

That is very caring. 
      December 23, 2020 7:35 AM MST

Thank you. 

How about you, what is your own answer to your question?
    ~

December 23, 2020 7:38 AM MST

I'd love to hear what your volunteer jobs are.
      December 23, 2020 1:20 PM MST

My primary volunteering is as follows:

I am an ardent foe of litter, so I go on a one-man campaign of clearing it from local streets, curbs, bus stops, parking lots, playgrounds, etc.

I have a little rig that I made in my garage, it consists of an old luggage caddy as its base, on top of which I mounted a collapsible 42-gallon trash bag shell secured with bungee cords. I place a heavy-duty trash bag in it, fold it down and put it in the trunk of my car. I have a street broom-and-dustbin set, a rake, a trash retrieval tool, a 2-gallon bucket, and a few other implements that I attach to the outside of the rig, they all fit into the trunk too. I load up and drive to what I call my Cleanup Projects.

When I arrive at the selected project location (or locations) for that day, I put my rig together, I don a bright yellow fluorescent vest, a sun hat, my earphones, my 80s, 70s and 60s music, and off I go. I’ll spend a minimum of two hours up to a maximum of five hours, one trash bag is usually filled in thirty to forty-five minutes, I carry extras in the bottom of the cart. I load up the filled bags and either dispose of them at a dumpster next the project sites, or haul them back to my home to be thrown out with the weekly sanitation pickup. The small bucket I carry with me is for recyclables, which I separate as I pick them up. 

In addition to the locations I listed above, I also have a much smaller rig that I use from my house going on foot around my block to do a cleanup. 

So, as you can see, this particular volunteering is not through an established organization or entity other than good ol’ Randy himself.

December 23, 2020 6:30 PM MST

I imagine you must find a few coins, bills and other objects of some value in your travels.
      December 24, 2020 8:29 AM MST

Thank you for reminding me, my friend. Believe it or not, about two years ago, I found a $100 bill by the side of a highway off ramp. 

There are also times when people see what I’m doing and engage in conversation with me, many say something to the effect of, “It’s about time the city sent someone out here,” or, “My area needs this too, what number do I call at county administration to request a cleanup?” Imagine their surprise when I tell them that I‘m doing it on my own and that I hate litter, and my philosophy is ‘If not us, and if not now, whom and when?” I’ve received a lot of encouragement and gratitude from perfect strangers, even if it’s just blowing the car horn and waving to me. Some people bellow about how they expect the local government to do it because that’s why they pay taxes. I can’t stand living in a slum, and I know the city nor county is going to take care of it, as evidenced by the fact that the problem exists and persists yet they never act. If you want something done . . .

More than once, people have joined me in cleaning up, but never for the entire time period nor distance that I cover, and beyond that, some people donate money to me for what I’m doing, which I accept gladly because it offsets some of the costs of my supplies [sidebar, Mrs Randy D has never been happy with the amount of money I spend on this]. A dollar here and there is appreciated. 

~

December 24, 2020 10:54 AM MST

Well that all sounds pretty nice! 
      December 24, 2020 11:01 AM MST

Asker's pick.
      December 24, 2020 9:42 AM MST

I leave them alone.
      December 23, 2020 7:56 AM MST

Hey, wait . . . 

~

December 23, 2020 8:08 AM MST

Yeah, many people do prefer just that.
      December 23, 2020 1:21 PM MST

Talk with people and make them laugh.
      December 23, 2020 8:00 AM MST

I don't need to imagine - you demonstrate it here.
    It's quite a gift.

December 23, 2020 1:22 PM MST

Thanks.
      December 24, 2020 9:43 AM MST

But what is wrong with sex, food, and money? From certain points of view they may be considered as shallow but they can be remarkably effective in many instances. 
      December 23, 2020 8:10 AM MST

She’s merely setting the parameters for this particular question that she’s posting, not necessarily saying that there is anything wrong in general with those three things, just that they’re not what fit this conversation.

It’s something that many of us do here when post some of our questions, yourself included.

~

December 23, 2020 9:53 AM MST

Too bad I find it necessary to violate set parameters to include myself. 
      December 23, 2020 9:11 PM MST

December 23, 2020 10:33 PM MST

I'm part of a group on Facebook called fur Angel Blessing Blanketeers, I make prayer blankets for sick ,dying and old dogs and cats. I make about 15 fleece blankets a month at no cost to the owner of the pet. 
      December 23, 2020 8:28 AM MST

I'm not sure if it's the best but I take the time to listen to what people have to say.  Whether it's to simply vent, cry, or to tell me about how their day is going. I also take the time to talk "too" them and not "at" them. Give them the respect that they deserve and leave them with the dignity they came with.
      December 23, 2020 10:29 AM MST