Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Legal » I doubt I would have ever committed a violent felony anyway, but after decades of watching real-life crime investigation shows, I know I’d

I doubt I would have ever committed a violent felony anyway, but after decades of watching real-life crime investigation shows, I know I’d

never get away with it. I find it amazing that there are so many tiny little ways that clues get left behind that first-time or even repeat criminals are never as clever as they think.

What prompted this post is a show I’m watching now. The killer claims that the murder was an accident and that in panic, instead of calling the police, he threw the body into the trunk of his car, drove hours away from the scene and dumped the person on the side of the highway. He took pains to clean things up and went about his life’s business. He thought he was in the clear because weeks or months went by before he was even questioned, so he thought there was no link to the crime. Now in prison, the show recounted the litany of missteps he made that connected him to the assault, pointed to him being at the scene of the crime, those signs left behind in his car, and the evidence that the car had been at the drop site.

I’m not accusing you of being of criminal mentality, so I ask this just for the sake of conversation; do you think you could outsmart the experts?
~

Posted - April 26, 2021

Responses

To make a long story short I don't think I could escape soon becoming the prime 'person of interest'. Then I am sure I would cave under intense questioning.
      April 26, 2021 10:43 PM MDT

“Ok, one more time, Kit, let’s take it from the top, and this time, don’t leave anything out. Let’s read a thumbnail of your previous statement:  You said you don’t know who he is or why he contacted you, but somehow he convinced you to meet him alone at midnight down in the abandoned factory complex, and you were to have several varieties of freshly-made sandwiches with no mayo and no guacamole, right? I hope you realize how far-fetched this sounds.   What kind of dirt did this mysterious stranger have on you that made you go there?”

~

April 26, 2021 10:52 PM MDT

He'd become aware of my cats' addiction to catnip which had become very scarce so he was simply offering a couple of ounces of catnip plant seeds in exchange for a bunch of sammiches to quench his sammich eating disorder. Nothing illegal, ha ha.
      April 26, 2021 11:12 PM MDT

That sounds similar to numerous crime-show episodes I have seen.
    I suppose if I committed a random act of violence in another city in Ohio, while disguised, I might be able to get away with it.
      April 27, 2021 8:18 AM MDT

Are you really asking me this question?
    I'd be apologizing to the world, even the victim, from the get-go.
    Ha!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 29, 2021 8:13 PM MDT
      April 29, 2021 7:08 PM MDT

No I could not. 

But my FIL robbed a bank and passed the lie detector.  His partners turned him in.  But to avoid any jail time, he agreed to return all the money. 
      April 29, 2021 7:30 PM MDT

I haven’t tried a bank yet.  I’m still practicing with the small potatoes stuff, like plundering you‘re tilde vault when your not at home.

*distracted him again, folks*

That was easy.

This post was edited by Livvie at April 29, 2021 8:23 PM MDT
      April 29, 2021 7:34 PM MDT

Grrrrrrrrr. Intentionally baiting a grammar cop is a violation of law also. 

April 29, 2021 8:03 PM MDT

Grammar baiting is perfectly healthy and normal.  It’s nothing to be ashamed about.  I’m perfectly comfortable with it.
      April 29, 2021 10:20 PM MDT

Spoken like a true addict. Please seek professional help. 

:|

April 30, 2021 7:13 AM MDT

Nope, the Vegemite smears on the handle of the tilde vault would be a dead giveaway. :-(
      April 29, 2021 7:59 PM MDT

That stuff oozes out of you?  Ewwww!

April 29, 2021 8:03 PM MDT

Marines don't say ewwwwww.
      April 29, 2021 8:14 PM MDT

Grrrrrrr. 

April 29, 2021 8:17 PM MDT

That's better. Semper Fi.
      April 29, 2021 8:18 PM MDT

No, but if I was visiting your hideout to raid the vault, I'd have to avail myself of the sandwich-making facilities, wouldn't I? And I'm clumsy, I'd get some on my hand.
      April 29, 2021 8:21 PM MDT