Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Do you remember the first real book you read? Not the silly primers from first grade.

Do you remember the first real book you read? Not the silly primers from first grade.

Posted - May 3, 2021

Responses

I didn't like to read during the school years.  My love of reading came later in life.  I read and read and just loved that whole world of books and where they could take you.  When I went to law school I had to do more reading than humanly possible and for a number of year, my love of reading was gone.  I now read quite a lot but am watching a screen more than ever before due to Netflix.  I don't watch like most people I know but I do watch a few hours every week.  Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. 
      May 3, 2021 2:19 PM MDT

Can't remember the first actual entire book I read but I do remember when I was leaning to read I was picking up various books to see how much of them I could read and understand.
      May 3, 2021 6:44 PM MDT

I was going to say it had to be something by Judy Blume, but I don't think that was until 3rd or 4th grade. Before that I read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and Box Car Children books and Nancy Drew... that sort of thing. I started reading very young (reportedly at 4), mostly because I wanted to play Scrabble with my mom and her friend. I didn't want to go play with the other children, I wanted to be with them! But I had to be able to read, so I decided to do it. Lucky for me, my mom was a teacher and stay-at-home mom! 

What was the first book you ever read? 
      May 3, 2021 8:50 PM MDT

Either Thomas the Tank Engine by Rev W Awdry, The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton or one of Theodor Geissel's classics. Like Savvy, my mother had been a schoolmarm and encouraged my siblings and I from a very early age. One method was to read us a bedtime story and stop at a cliffhanger - if we wanted to know what happened next any sooner than the next night, we had to read it ourselves. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at October 16, 2021 7:48 PM MDT
      May 3, 2021 10:13 PM MDT

I can’t remember. I believe that it would have been prior to first grade, because my mother had already taught me to read years earlier. I do remember how inane (I didn’t know it at the time) it seemed to me that in school, there were books that included:

See Dick. See Jane. See Dick run. 

See Spot. See Jane chase Spot. 

Even at five or six years old, I wondered, “Who talks that way? It’s baby talk!”  Of course, there were other students who had not been taught to read at home, so they needed that chopped up verbiage to help them along. The teacher assessed each of us for our reading abilities and created reading groups accordingly, and divided us into three groups. The goal was to have as many students reading at a Group One level by the time we went to second grade.

At reading time, Group One would take turns reading a sentence or two from a story; comprehension and building vocabulary were the measuring sticks the teacher used to gauge our progress. Often, the teacher would stay with us at Group One for just a few minutes until she saw that we were doing well, then she would go to help Groups Two or Three, both of which required more one-on-one instruction.

If a student struggled to keep up with his or her group’s level, he or she would be moved down a group, or if he or she mastered the group level, could be advanced to a higher group.

I started out in Group One and never deviated. Even at that young age, it made me feel great. Group Two students had to read only a few words or a phrase from a sentence because they were not up to handling full sentences yet. Group Three students were learning the alphabet and phonics.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at October 16, 2021 7:47 PM MDT
      May 4, 2021 7:56 AM MDT

I had a similar experience in 1st and 2nd grades. Those books we had to read ridiculous. I was already reading from a set of science books my aunt had given to me. I was so bored in school, I acted up (poorly), and got in trouble a couple of times. This post was edited by Element 99 at October 16, 2021 7:46 PM MDT
      May 4, 2021 11:22 AM MDT

Black Boy Reading Book Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock
      October 16, 2021 7:47 PM MDT

This may have been the book:

May 4, 2021 11:26 AM MDT

This book here, and I still have it.

See the source image
      July 12, 2021 11:57 PM MDT

The first real book I remember is Rascal by Stirling North

Paperback Rascal Book
      July 15, 2021 2:36 PM MDT

Loved this book! 

July 15, 2021 6:36 PM MDT

The first real book I can remember reading was a science fiction novel. It was titled The Ant Men. The author was Eric North and the publisher was The John C. Winston Company. It was written in 1955 when I was 7 years old. I checked it out from the school library. If I remember correctly, I read all 216 pages in one sitting. This particular book was responsible for my interest in becoming a writer. Which I began doing. I wrote a few short stories and even began a sci-fi novel of my own. But, as with most things at that age, I slowly lost interest.
      August 22, 2021 1:48 PM MDT

"Sam, Bangs and Moonshine" by Evaline Ness

-- it's an illustrated children's literature book, for sure, but as a young child, I remember reading this book and thinking "This is serious! It's not just a kiddy book." (And though I didn't have the words to describe it, I remember thinking that Ness was treating me, a boy, in a respectful way.)

SAM, BANGS & MOONSHINE By Evaline Ness - Hardcover - 1966 - From Jeryl  Metz, Books (SKU: 11865)
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 17, 2021 8:48 AM MDT
      October 16, 2021 7:45 PM MDT

i don't even remember what I ate for dinner 
      October 17, 2021 10:14 PM MDT