Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What do you think of some of the solutions to ending school shootings?

What do you think of some of the solutions to ending school shootings?

Ted Cruz has been pushing the one door solution. That would be a tragedy waiting to happing if there ever was a fire at the school. The stupidest one I heard by another politician was that parents should buy their children colorful bullet proof blankets that they could hang on the wall when not in use and brighten up the classroom. Cheers and happy weekend!

Posted - May 27, 2022

Responses

If you want more kids killed, follow the “solutions” offered by the Republican Party. If you want a real solution that actually saves lives, model your solutions after some other countries like Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Norway. Obviously, the GQP isn't interested, and the only way all of us to nip this thing in the bud is to vote Democrat. A widening majority in the House of Representatives and Congress should solve this whole thing. In the meantime, I guess y'all will just have to get killed.
      May 27, 2022 9:02 AM MDT

I read that over 80% of Americans would like to see common sense gun regulations but most Republicans keep fighting against it. I really think Americans are going to vote for people  that they know are in favor of common sense  gun regulations. And I think there soon will be a Demarcate majority in the House and Senate. Cheers and happy weekend! 
      May 27, 2022 9:35 AM MDT

It's incredibly naive to think the party in power makes a difference. Name a mass shooting incident, Columbine High School? Sandy Hook Elementary School? Those two occurred during Clinton's and Obama's administrations. Some happen when Democrats control Congress and others occur with Republicans in power. Each time, people get all worked up for about a week, wringing hands about gun laws and such, then other news comes along and they go back to sleep until the next one occurs. This cycle repeats itself over and over again, and nothing gets done, though unfortunately, I am not sure anything can be done about it in the short or long term.
      May 27, 2022 1:27 PM MDT

I agree. This is not mine but it sums up everything.

The problem is us. The problem is way too much access to guns, way too many guns. The problem is that many people fetishize guns as the solution.

We are the extreme outlier in active shootings and mass kills. It is undeniable. We are screwing this up badly. It is obscene. We are complicit.

We have to do better.

We won’t. Rs and gun lobbyists and general legislative inertia will doom any meaningful course correction. Guaran-effing-teed. All hope is doomed.

Those are the actors that have bite, but we, as a society, are as complicit in our inaction.

This is one of those times that America disgusts me. This does not happen elsewhere. We effing suck. I want to vomit.

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at May 29, 2022 10:52 AM MDT
      May 29, 2022 10:09 AM MDT

Armed security at every door.  Have as many as doors as you want.  Make all doors during hours when students are present exit only doors.  To come in you must allowed in by someone from inside. All entries should have a scanner to detect firearms. 

This shooter in TX walked right into the school. Why was he able to just walk in? Why did the police not follow him? Why were they outside forming a barricade?   This is not the national protocol for an active shooter. 

Schools in my town, you must be buzzed in to enter the building. There is armed police at each building.  

The $40B we sent to Ukraine would pay for 5 security officers at every school for decades.  
      May 27, 2022 9:39 AM MDT

I'm pretty sure that Cruz's hairbrained solution of one-door in and out would be against fire department codes, even in Texas.  No one should be able to buy a gun or any gun immediately.  There should be a waiting period while a serious background check is done.  No one outside of law enforcement and the military should be able to buy and keep an AR-15 other than on a gun range where the gun would be kept while not being used for target practice. 

The mother of this boy admitted that he has mental issues.  Why didn't she or her parents try to get him some help?  Kids that he knew or who had access to his internet postings could see that there were red flags - why didn't they say something about it and, if they did, why was nothing done?  There's plenty of blame to go around, but you can't blame having too many doors at the school as being one of them.  Then, again, look at who made that idiotic comment.  'Nuff said ...
      May 27, 2022 9:39 AM MDT

No easy solution. Anyone intent on shooting a bunch of people won't be deterred by gun or other laws.

As an aside, it's sadly funny how every time this kind of thing happens, people get all freshly worked up about it for about a week, nothing gets done or even initiated, then they go back to sleep until the next one happens, then they get all freshly worked up about it for about a week and again, nothing gets done or initiated, then they go back to sleep until the next one happens, and so on, and so on, and so on, and it's just a cycle of nothing changing.
      May 27, 2022 9:52 AM MDT

That's because all these people offer thoughts and prayers instead of coming up with some solutions.

This post was edited by Spunky at May 27, 2022 12:47 PM MDT
      May 27, 2022 11:06 AM MDT

Perfect graphic representation of my point!
      May 27, 2022 11:47 AM MDT

One door with an armed guard, like at the supermarket in Buffalo? Yeah, that should work. As long as people put individual rights above the common good of all citizens, this is never going to end.
      May 27, 2022 7:11 PM MDT

Maybe a solution, which would involve mass migration and relocation, which would never happen, could solve this and all of our other problems as well.

Divide the United States into three new countries.  Move all of the liberals into one new country and all of the conservatives into one of the other two countries.  Liberals and conservatives would both get their ways on everything all of the time in their new countries.

The rest of us in the third country would have to find different solutions to these problems.
      May 27, 2022 7:29 PM MDT

Repeal the Second and put some serious limits on what civilians can legally own. Semi-automatic weapons belong in the hands of the military, as do magazines. These atrocities are not being committed with hunting rifles and handguns.
      May 27, 2022 9:24 PM MDT

Don't hold your breath. 

All types and calipers of firearms are semiautomatic.  Not just the scary black guns. 
      May 28, 2022 7:31 AM MDT

There are ALREADY restrictions on what firearms a civilian may own in the US, the number of hoops one must go through to own a fully automatic or machine gun, for example. They should add assault rifles to that list.
    The .22 I hunted with had to be reloaded after every shot, it didn't even have a clip.
      May 28, 2022 8:57 PM MDT

Yes, we have been falling for the "common sense" gun control measures for a long time. 

Can you define an assault rifle?

This post was edited by my2cents at May 29, 2022 6:22 PM MDT
      May 29, 2022 9:13 AM MDT

Food for thought:
      May 29, 2022 9:53 AM MDT

Yes. Enforce the laws we have now.  If you are a criminal you do not get to have a gun.  If you are arrested for a crime with a gun, then NO bail and if convicted NO early parole.  And it adds 10yrs to any conviction.    No more slap on the wrist for gun crimes ever. 
      May 29, 2022 6:18 PM MDT

Getting a democrat majority in the house and senate would be a good start. There has been a bill that could reduce mass shootings sitting in the House for a year but Senate Republicans won't move it forward. It is about background checks on the sale of all fire arms so I can not understand why the bill is not moved forward. Cheers!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/26/uvalde-shooting-background-checks-hr8-senate/

May 29, 2022 10:29 AM MDT

They have that now.  Reps will take them both back this Nov.   Ain't nobody happy with Biden. 
      May 29, 2022 5:17 PM MDT

No they don't (a simple majority isn't enough), and no they probably won't. The GOP is filibustering like they always do.
      May 29, 2022 9:55 PM MDT

As it should be....the filibuster is an vital part of our process of passing laws. Requires at some form of bipartisanship to pass a bill (majority  of the time)

Both parties filibuster when they are in the minority,  as I said it forces them to work together to pass anything. There is a reason we all know who the RINO/DINOs are. 
      May 30, 2022 7:24 AM MDT