Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » What is the silliest thing you have in your home or yard?

What is the silliest thing you have in your home or yard?

I have a potato clock by my front door entrance. The silly part is it is not a real potato clock it is a small battery  powered clock that just looks like it is powered by a potato. If guests make a comment about my potato clock I will tell them things like how I became interested in potato power back in grade 3 and I am know working  on a potato charger that can charge battery powered yard tools. Cheers! 

Posted - July 3, 2022

Responses

I have a creepy little garden gnome in my front yard, I put him in the front yard hoping someone would steal him but after 10 years He's still there. 
      July 3, 2022 9:35 AM MDT

I remember 'liking' your answer yesterday and then just looked and it wasn't there.
    I "re-liked."

:)
      July 4, 2022 8:25 AM MDT

In the front yard, a large tree of unknown* genus that not only leaks a strange type of mustard-looking sap onto our cars in the driveway below, but also drops its hundreds of weird seeds all over the place throughout the spring and summer months. The seeds are dark brown, about the size of ping pong balls, resemble tree bark in their structure, and have spikey little “fingers” poking out in all directions. When the seeds land on the driveway, sidewalk, or street, they harden in the hot sunlight, deteriorate into several pieces and become walking hazards. Due to hundreds of them falling every few hours, it gets tedious trying to sweep them up, either before or after they break down. Additionally, the ones that fall onto the lawn are like ballistic projectiles when mowing the grass or using a weed eater. 

*Unknown to me.  I’m no horticulturalist nor flora botanist nor plant biologist nor tree surgeon, so I’m not saying it’s completely unknown to everyone.
    ~

July 3, 2022 10:42 AM MDT

Great job describing this hell-tree, which poops on your vehicles, has fingery seeds, and lays down mines for you. But what you didn't say is why you haven't chopped it down?
      July 3, 2022 12:41 PM MDT

It’s not allowed. There’s a pesky Homeowners’ Association here that governs what happens with front yards, roofs, common areas, etc. They do all of the gardening and landscaping, so individual owners aren’t allowed to make such changes without being fined heavily. Altering the landscape to the point of removing trees or shrubs is $5,000 for the first incident.
    ~

July 3, 2022 2:58 PM MDT

Time to move to Toledo.
      July 3, 2022 3:09 PM MDT

Try feeding it Vegemite. Maybe it'll start to die and you can then gain permission to have it removed without the fine. 
      July 4, 2022 8:09 AM MDT

You know, that’s really not too bad of an idea, it’s both silly and smart at the same time, so I just may try it. I’m fact, how about moving into my spare bedroom (in the sub-basement) so that you can supervise the project? In your off hours, there are plenty of sandwich-making opportunities for you.

~

July 4, 2022 9:59 AM MDT

Vegemite is too expensive if you want to attempt salt-poisoning. Spent brewer's yeast is actually a good fertiliser.

Jokes aside, try hammering a few copper nails into it in inconspicuous locations. That even kills the roots.

https://www.gotreequotes.com/how-do-you-kill-a-tree/ This post was edited by Slartibartfast at July 5, 2022 5:30 PM MDT
      July 5, 2022 1:29 AM MDT

I'm not into killing trees, but thanks for the info! :)
      July 5, 2022 5:37 PM MDT

I'm not when they're native. I don't have a problem with killing invasive species. Killed a neighbour's oleander that was triggering my daughter's eczema. To this day I don't think she knows why it died.
      July 5, 2022 5:39 PM MDT

Yeah, always open season on invasive plants. 

You chose being a good dad over good neighbor - good job! :) 
      July 5, 2022 5:43 PM MDT

How large is this hell-tree? 

The description of the seed pods sounds like sweet gum. 
      July 3, 2022 1:06 PM MDT

Our house is two stories, in the twenty years that we’ve lived here, the tree has grown to now being higher than the rooftop.
    ~

July 3, 2022 3:01 PM MDT

I don't know much about California flora, but the seed pods sound like it's sweet gum. I have wondered how many people have slipped and cracked their skulls on those stupid things. The leaves are quite pretty, but I think it's a poor choice to plant along sidewalks in residential neighborhoods. 
      July 4, 2022 8:06 AM MDT

These? It's probably a sweetgum or liquid amber.

July 5, 2022 1:37 AM MDT

That’s EXACTLY what they look like! Thanks!
    ~

July 5, 2022 8:23 AM MDT

Dog #2 is the silliest. 
      July 3, 2022 1:08 PM MDT

If I'm taking this right, you have canine housemates and one of them is pretty silly.  :)
      July 4, 2022 8:14 AM MDT

Yes! So silly and smart. Perfect combination in a friend of any species! :)
      July 4, 2022 8:22 AM MDT

Yes, true!

And I'm a cat guy but I already like this dog. :)
      July 4, 2022 8:26 AM MDT

Wait, you like the silly and smart combination, do you? Clear out your spare bedroom and stock the kitchen with sandwich-making supplies; I’ll be right there! (I’m so happy, folks!)

~

July 4, 2022 9:42 AM MDT

Gnomezilla | Godzilla Eating Gnomes | GardenFun
      July 3, 2022 2:01 PM MDT

I looked closer, was more tired last night than I am now, this is funnier than I thought.
    :)
      July 4, 2022 8:13 AM MDT