Discussion » Questions » Communication » How many languages do you speak and what are they?

How many languages do you speak and what are they?

Posted - August 21, 2022

Responses

lol. You just made me remember something.  I just learned something about online translators.  When I type into Google Translate the phrase that Martina yelled when she hit her little toe on the table leg in the hotel room the last time she was here, Google doesn’t give the actual translation.  Context Reverso doesn’t give the actual translation either, lol.
      November 5, 2022 9:33 PM MDT

November 5, 2022 10:32 PM MDT

Five, if my poor French counts. We spoke Bosnian and Dutch at home; then I had to take French and English (as part of the Flemish curriculum), with Spanish eventually becoming the only language I chose to learn. 

I've been thinking of adding Italian (because it should be familiar) and Japanese (out of interest - as well as for the challenge). Then again, my eccentric (for being all too intelligent) neighbour argues that one shouldn't pick up too many languages. It supposedly leaves less mental space for other knowledge.
      August 23, 2022 12:56 PM MDT

Excellent.
      November 4, 2022 7:40 PM MDT

I just ran that through Google Translate. Thanks!
      November 6, 2022 1:10 PM MST

All of them.

September 3, 2022 11:30 PM MDT

Three of them!
      November 2, 2022 1:16 PM MDT

Three: English, Brooklynese/New Yawkish, and some Caribbean patois.
      November 2, 2022 2:05 PM MDT

I don't really speak them, but I have French, German, Latin, Russian and Albanian on my Twitter feed. 
      November 4, 2022 1:05 PM MDT

Presumably with a smattering of comprehensible English now and again :) 

But I guess, if it's on Twitter, it doesn't really matter whether you can understand the bickering or not.
      November 4, 2022 2:29 PM MDT

Of course English is the mother tongue. I like to think I make sense of the various tweets in other languages but I really should do more dictionary bashing to check it out. 
      November 4, 2022 2:48 PM MDT

Only my native English but I still have fragments of the French I learnt - well, was taught- at school and reprised in later years on holidays in France.

I've picked up a few words of Norwegian, mainly just the normal courtesies and elements of geographical names (some of the latter appear in Northern English dialect, too.) Also by holidays.

Even a few rather random, mainly geographical, words in Welsh! I think I can make a fair go at Welsh pronunciations, too, without necessarily knowing the meanings, of town and other geographical names.

Just realised..... I live not far off half-way between the South coast of Wales and the North coast of France.
      November 8, 2022 3:03 PM MST