Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What has been discontinued that you would like to see come back?

What has been discontinued that you would like to see come back?

Posted - April 11, 2023

Responses

Mailboxes. They've not completely disappeared but they're few and far between.

Since I pay all my bills by mail, this is pretty important to me. When my daughter takes me someplace and I notice a mailbox, I point it out to her so we can both make a mental note of it. 
      April 11, 2023 1:15 PM MDT

Post office czar DeJoy had a number of mailboxes removed.  The postal service is only slightly slower than the old Pony Express.  A Mother's Day card that I mailed to my niece in Arkansas a week before Mother's Day was received by her two weeks after Mother's Day.  I have been sending cards out ten days before the date so they get there before the occasion. This post was edited by Spunky at April 20, 2023 8:51 PM MDT
      April 11, 2023 2:13 PM MDT

This is true. In our area, hiring sufficient personnel at the local post offices is a problem in some areas. It's occasionally a topic on our local Nextdoor. One postal carrier wrote that he and an assistant were the only personnel at that small town P.O. When he got Covid, the assistant had to do one route one day and the other route the next. He was writing to let the community know that he was holding an open house recruitment. Thankfully, things have improved in the last year.
      April 11, 2023 5:45 PM MDT

Full service gas stations. Corner grocery stores. 
      April 11, 2023 4:48 PM MDT

We still have a couple of full-service gas stations, but they're becoming fewer as time goes by.  
      April 12, 2023 8:58 AM MDT

Woolworth's. They were just the right size and carried most of the simple items needed to run a household.
      April 11, 2023 5:47 PM MDT

In no particular order:

1. Payphones 
    2. Telephone operators 
    3. Gas station attendants 
    4. Televisions that display on the front of them what channel they’re on
    5. Cars that you can do minor maintenance on yourself, such as change your own oil 
    6. Anything that is currently listed as there’s an app for that, I would like to revert back to when there was no app for that 
    7. The ability to express undying love (ok, lust) in Minneapolis without interference from the legal system 

To be continued . . .

April 11, 2023 6:09 PM MDT

The stymie in golf, where you putt your ball to block your opponents ball from the hole. Kinda like playing a safety in shooting pool.
      April 11, 2023 7:18 PM MDT

Cooper's 62 Pilsener. It was my go-to drop.
      April 12, 2023 5:19 AM MDT

Candy cigarettes and those toy doctor kits that had a toy syringe in them. Actually I'm glad they discontinued them. But what I would like to see come back is TV Time Popcorn. It was a pack that had coconut oil and popping corn in it. And you popped it up in a pot on the stove. I guess when micro wave pop corn became popular they discontinued it. Cheers! 
      April 12, 2023 9:41 AM MDT

Clocks displayed on walls in public businesses and settings

Modern Large Wall Clock Living Room Big Silent Pendulum Clock Decorative  Clock | eBay

I can count at least five places that have removed them. 

I found it nice to be able to just glance and see the time. (Oh yeah -- I forgot- - everyone is carrying their holy smartphones now.)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 21, 2023 7:56 AM MDT
      April 20, 2023 8:57 PM MDT