Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Want to sign my petition? ;)

Want to sign my petition? ;)

A petition to bring to an end the endless, needless beeps, noises, and horn beeps on vehicles:

Let's go back to the days when we pushed a door lock lever, down, rolled a vehicle window down with our entire arm, we had to remember where we parked our vehicles without pushing a lever to beep for us, we didn't need a horn beep to tell us we locked our vehicle, we didn't need 18 beepbeepbeepbeeps to tell us to buckle our seatbelts, we didn't need beeps to tell us we left a car door open.

Think of the energy we'll save on our vehicle batteries to get rid of the noise.

Let's end unnecessary noise pollution and get back into using our muscles

And, perhaps most importantly, I have yet to see anyone come running outside "to the rescue" when some parked vehicle starts beepbeepbeepbeeping somewhere for minutes on end. We all ignore the beeping noise pollution."

Will you sign?

;)

Beep hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Posted - August 29, 2023

Responses

I'll sign your petition if you sign my petition. I'm trying to abolish all the North American emergency vehicle  sirens that make the AHHHH - WOOOOO sound. And replace them with European vehicle sirens that make the EEEEEY - YOU - EEEEEY - YOU sound. Cheers!

August 29, 2023 6:53 PM MDT

I‘ve heard the EEEEEY - YOU - EEEEEY - YOU sound on some North American emergency vehicles.  In some places they switch to EEEEEY - YOU - EEEEEY - YOU when going through an intersection and then go back to AHHHH - WOOOOO when they’re past the intersection.
      August 29, 2023 7:44 PM MDT

In Canada when emergency vehicles go through intersections with traffic lights they switch from AHHHH - WOOOOO to a high pitched - WHOOP - WHOOP - WHOOP - AHHHHHHH - WHOOP - WHOOP - WHOOP sound.  Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at September 7, 2023 7:22 PM MDT
      August 29, 2023 7:58 PM MDT

:)
      August 31, 2023 4:48 PM MDT

I agree.  It’s way worse on new trucks.  My husband didn’t put some of the optional alarms and warnings on his trucks but there’s nothing we can do about the alarms that irritate the drivers that now come standard.  The alarm and warning that tells the drivers that they turned on the windshield wipers always really irritates the drivers, but that came standard.  The problem is that it’s distracting because 100% of the time the driver’s first reaction is to clear the warning on the dash, UGH.  No, they need to pay attention to their driving, not to nuisance alarms!  Even worse is when the driver just won’t set the wipers above the speed that triggers the alarm in heavy rain.   The ADAS technology in big trucks is still way behind what’s on new cars.  It needs a lot more work.
      August 29, 2023 7:22 PM MDT

Cool to hear you agree. :)
    I'm glad I don't regularly drive a large truck. I have respect for drivers of big trucks.
    I'd most likely fail pulling backwards out of a driveway or alley.
      August 31, 2023 4:51 PM MDT

Backing out of a driveway or alley would be pretty risky for even the most experienced truck drivers.

This post was edited by Livvie at September 8, 2023 4:45 PM MDT
      September 7, 2023 8:56 PM MDT

That's interesting to me, thanks. I didn't know that. I do know I would not be an effective truck driver. :)
      September 8, 2023 4:46 PM MDT

I agree with you that there are far too many noises that could be curbed.  There is one car in my area with an alarm that loudly beeps at least 30 times before it goes off.  I want so badly to go down there with a golf club and break every window to justify that much noise.  When I bought my car, the standard anti-theft device was a cut-off switch.  No alarm, no noise.  When I lock my car, I do it from the inside, not with the key fob.  No beep that way.  The back-up beeping on trucks and vans can be particularly irritating although I get the reason behind it.  What bothers me more are the construction vehicles that beep when they're going forward.  The ditch diggers do that.  For almost a month, they have been tearing up the streets surrounding my block in order to lay new water pipes and move/replace the old fire hydrants.  Listen to that for 6-7 hours a day and you're ready to kill.  For the past four months, they have been doing façade repairs on our buildings to comply with a local law.  They are now working on my building and there is constant noise from drilling out and replacing the bricks.  I'm ready to move to a deserted island.
      August 30, 2023 9:10 AM MDT

I can only imagine how rare it may be to hear silence in your area. :)

I can lock my car with the fob and it just very quietly clicks  when all the door lock. But, yeah, it's just the weirdness (to me), of hearing all the sound effects. It's good exercise to walk back and check my car, not just walk away and 'clickit-hear-it-beep' as I walk away from the car.

Hey, and to maybe help you out --  one of my friends Gilligan and the skipper for whom he works, give boat tours. They may be able to get you to an island.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 2, 2023 8:36 AM MDT
      August 31, 2023 5:00 PM MDT

I always lock my car from the inside, so I don't need to check it with the fob. gob.  I'm going to give Gilligan a call - I love peace and quiet. This post was edited by Spunky at September 7, 2023 7:01 PM MDT
      September 1, 2023 9:01 AM MDT

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale . . .  "

I like peace and quiet, too.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 8, 2023 6:00 AM MDT
      September 7, 2023 7:01 PM MDT

Every single word is spelled correctly, every single sentence is structured properly, every single punctuation symbol is applied as it should be, the syntax is perfect, not one grammatical error anywhere throughout this entire post. It’s beautiful, absolutely beautiful, a veritable work of art, a divine masterpiece.  

I . . . I can’t stay here, I have to go, I need to log off and be by myself for a while. I’m moved on ways I haven’t experienced in quite some time, this truly touches me deep down inside. And no, I am not crying; one of my medications makes my eyes itch a little bit, that’s all. I’ll be fine in a moment. (Sniff, sob, boo hoo.)
      ~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 7, 2023 7:04 PM MDT
      September 2, 2023 8:35 AM MDT

Poor you. What time is the pity party starting?
      September 2, 2023 9:02 AM MDT

These are tears of joy. Try to keep up.
      ~

September 2, 2023 2:48 PM MDT

Here, take a tissue, :)
      September 2, 2023 9:21 AM MDT

You’re the only one who cares, especially the only New Yorker. (Sniff.)

~

September 2, 2023 2:46 PM MDT

We aren't all rude and heartless.
      September 7, 2023 9:54 PM MDT

Hey, wait . . . !

~

September 8, 2023 7:15 AM MDT

When there is a choice between digital/electrical or mechanical, I always choose mechanical.  The choices are fewer than in the past. 
      September 1, 2023 2:40 PM MDT

It surely seems that way, yes. :)
      September 2, 2023 6:37 AM MDT

Wait, we’re still talking about cars here, right? Just checking. (Grrrrrrrrrr.)
      ~

September 2, 2023 3:55 PM MDT

My favorite is when I am dropped of by an Uber or taxi in front of my house, and drivers who need to wait while I get out and sometimes have stuff to unload honk because they don’t have any patience.

Sometimes, I make sure to move more slowly to make them wait longer.
      September 1, 2023 2:51 PM MDT

I'd pay to watch that.
      September 1, 2023 3:02 PM MDT