Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Did you hear Trump's rant when he entered the courthouse today?

Did you hear Trump's rant when he entered the courthouse today?

Along with his usual witch hunt rant he also said a couple of things that might come back to bite him. 

He called the AG a racist - which might get a gag order placed on him. 

And when he was ranting about the value of his properties he said they are worth way more then he stated. And he added that the value he stated didn't even include the value of his brand name. But during his deposition he stated that the reason his assessment was so high was because it included the value of his brand name.  

Cheers!

Posted - October 2, 2023

Responses

He misses no opportunity to make a campaign speech and MAGA morons will repeat his nonsense. Just because a bank knowingly took a risk on a client doesn't mean that there was no crime. Deutsche Bank was pretty much the only bank who would deal with Trump, and they have a long history of questionable business dealings. Both the bank and Trump put the global banking industry at risk. Bank fraud affects everyone who uses a bank, that's why there are banking regulations (although Trump rolled some bank during his term). 

If a person drives 100mph through a school zone but doesn't hit any kids, should he get off scot-free?
      October 2, 2023 9:24 AM MDT

By over inflating the value of his properties he got better loan terms on other properties. So it was fraud and I think he will be $250 million dollars poorer soon. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at October 3, 2023 9:22 AM MDT
      October 2, 2023 9:36 AM MDT

October 2, 2023 9:27 AM MDT

Yeah I think he is broke and so are the springs on his golfcart. Cheers!
      October 2, 2023 9:38 AM MDT

That was awesome!! I wish I could give you more than one thumbs up . That made my day. :)
      October 3, 2023 3:00 PM MDT

I'd love nothing more than to see him a pauper.
      October 2, 2023 12:26 PM MDT

EVERYTHING he says will come around and bite him.  I swear he talks like a grade schooler - calling people names (to make himself look "bigger") and claiming he's being falsely persecuted by the entire world.   He'd have a lot less problems if he'd just keep his mouth shut.  But he loves hearing own voice (even though the rest of us don't). 

October 2, 2023 1:01 PM MDT

In her opening statement Trump's attorney Alina Habba said - "the investigation and lawsuit were personal in nature. We are attacking a sitting president and two of his children," 

I don't think Trump is a sitting president. 
    So I am wondering if she was wrong to say that. Cheers!
    This post was edited by Nanoose at October 3, 2023 10:06 AM MDT
      October 2, 2023 4:17 PM MDT

It doesn't surprise me. She is the reason Trump has a bench trial instead of a jury trial. Either she forgot to request a jury trial or she thought it would be a good idea to have the case tried by a judge who has already made several rulings against them and who Trump had repeatedly attacked. (I don't know if requesting a jury trial means you automatically get one, but they didn't ask. Leticia James did ask for a trial without jury.) Trump has been complaining about not having a jury, so I bet that his lawyers haven't explained why he didn't get one.
      October 2, 2023 7:45 PM MDT

Under the Constitution  a defendant is entitled to a jury trial.  He should not have had to request it. He should have been asked to waive his right to a jury trail.  
    IDK if his attorney did or did not do that but there should be something from his side asking to waive not simply that the PA requested it.   
      October 3, 2023 7:28 AM MDT

Not in civil lawsuits, at least in New York. Those are generally adjudicated in bench trials where the judge rules.

Some do have trials with panels of six jurors, five votes being required to render a verdict. Not sure of the requirements for that.
      October 3, 2023 2:02 PM MDT

This is a civil case that is seeking a money ruling. This makes it an "at law" case, all at law cases the defendant is entitled to a jury trial. 
      October 3, 2023 7:45 PM MDT

The Sixth Amendment to the Constitution refers to a "criminal" trial.  The current trial is a "civil" trial.  In neither case is a jury trial mandated.  It is up to the parties to demand one.
      October 4, 2023 3:39 PM MDT

The Seventh amendment covers civil trials and the right to a jury, but only in federal court.  (as interpreted by the Supreme Court). I'm sure our resident legal expert will weigh in to  say I'm wrong.
      October 4, 2023 4:29 PM MDT

True, but am I wrong in interpreting it that there is a right to a jury trial, but no mandate and that is the difference.  You can have it if you want it, but you are not required to have a jury trial.
      October 5, 2023 6:58 AM MDT

Yes, but I was pointing out that the Constitution does not say there is even a right to a jury trial in a civil case in state court. NY allows defendants to ask for one.

I believe that given the number of times Trump has been a defendant, he and his counsel are well aware of that. But, his followers will believe it's just more political persecution. Maybe wants to use having incompetent counsel as an excuse to appeal. That would certainly explain why he keeps Alina Habba around.
      October 5, 2023 7:11 AM MDT

Now I understand.  Thanks for the clarification.  I agree that his attorneys knew what they were doing when they didn't ask for a jury.  
      October 5, 2023 7:17 AM MDT

Here is something I find interesting about the trial.

According to the Times, as Trump left the courtroom on Monday afternoon, Trump passed Ms. James in the front row and glared at her. Soon after, his son Eric walked by and shook her hand. 

I can see Trump glaring at her but it seems weird that Eric would shake her hand. Cheers!
    This post was edited by Nanoose at October 2, 2023 7:57 PM MDT
      October 2, 2023 6:28 PM MDT

Trump's lawyer, Chris Kise shook hands with before it started. I think it's like boxing, where you shake hands and come out fighting. Eric was probably confused on what he was supposed to do. Or maybe he thought his good looks and winning personality would charm her into going easy on the family.
      October 3, 2023 5:59 AM MDT

He can rant until he gets orange in the face.
      October 2, 2023 7:41 PM MDT

Oh, wait - he already is orange in the face!
      October 4, 2023 3:39 PM MDT

Actual he has a russet color face. The color russet is what you get when you mix orange and purple together. Trump uses orange makeup and he probably has lots of purple liver spots like his dad. So that combination of colors give his face a russet color. Cheers!

October 5, 2023 7:59 AM MDT

Too funny!
      October 5, 2023 8:09 AM MDT

It was a good day for Trump.  

80% of the case was thrown out based on statue of limitations.  

Trump has 127 witnesses lined up to testify many from the actual banks who issued the loans,  James is claiming were defrauded. 
      October 3, 2023 7:23 AM MDT