Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Are some of the seemingly funniest, easy-going people, in reality, some of the most hurting and depressed people?

Are some of the seemingly funniest, easy-going people, in reality, some of the most hurting and depressed people?

Posted - July 14, 2017

Responses

its possible but it really depends on the person since everyone is different
      July 14, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

That's true, pearl. Thanks.
    :)
      July 16, 2017 3:36 PM MDT

We know of so few in the overall realm of population.  You might base your premise on true and/or untrue stories of celebrities as well as those stories that our news media decides should get national and international coverage.  Celebs are not part of normal society anymore so I certainly would not use them as a scaled down  model of us.  There is much to read about the subject authored by people with reason to know no more about the subject than you.  Today, people become (faux) attorneys and psychologists at the drop of a hat, or rather a headline.  This phenomenon has grown into quite a source of entertainment for me. 

My answer to your question is I doubt it to be a surprising percentage.   But sure, some funny people hurt and some whiny people don't hurt but want attention.  Humans are interesting..........from a distance. 
      July 14, 2017 2:26 PM MDT

Thanks, Thriftymaid! You make good points. In a way, I asked the question with me in my mind, not to sound egotistical or anything. Just with the anxiety I deal pretty well with, I've more than once been told by people (who don't know about my struggle with anxiety and depression) that I'm funny and easy-going and, at the same time, inside I'm nervous and sad. Sort of weird. But that's what I was thinking a bit when I posted the question.
    And, to me, the even funnier thing is that the best managing tool I have with the anxiety is my sense of humor! Ha! If I can't laugh at myself, there's not hope for me - -  and I can laugh at myself easily! 

That just hit me as I typed -- I can be down emotionally while still being seemingly funny to others. And then it's that same humor that helps me deal with the anxiety that's inside. Seems to be some sort of weird paradox maybe but it works somehow in my head at the moment.
    I'd like to think it's a form of strength, possibly. to not take my anxiety so seriously that I can't laugh at the places I end up sometimes in my head because of that same anxiety!

Whoa -- I best stop. Maybe I"m turning in to my own type of faux psychiatrist, analyzing myself!

July 16, 2017 3:48 PM MDT

I believe one our greatest strengths is our sense of humor, for those of us that have one.  I have been in the saddest of places in life and still find a way to laugh when something is funny.  Seems you are like me in knowing the value of the ability to laugh, even at ourselves, during hard times.  And, by the way, I see no problem with analyzing our own selves.  Who knows us better? 
      July 16, 2017 4:49 PM MDT

Agreed!
    And I'm incredibly grateful for a having a sense of humor!
      July 16, 2017 5:35 PM MDT

That must explain my phenomenal talent in so many creative endeavors! Ha!
    ;)

Seriously, thanks for your thoughtful answer, bud. I went in to some more detail about some other thoughts under Thriftymaid's answer - - maybe I'll post it here, too. Anyway, thanks for answering!

What I had written under Thriftymaid's answer :

UPDATE: Again, I fail at copying-and-pasting. If you want ,you can read what I wrote under Thriftymaid's answer for some thoughts on why I posted the question. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 16, 2017 3:54 PM MDT
      July 16, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

They do say that don't they... examples are Tony Hancock, Benny Hill, Kenneth Williams, Stephen Fry and many many more Brit comedians..  And there could be something within them that makes them see the funny side of things.. often ironically.. 

I am quite a funny person.. not a comedian.. but I make people laugh. I joke about most things most of the time.. but I am not someone who is prone to depression.. so I am guessing not everyone has that problem
      July 14, 2017 3:02 PM MDT

Robin Williams as well, apparently. 
      July 14, 2017 3:54 PM MDT

Yes, true.. sad in a way though. 
      July 14, 2017 3:57 PM MDT

Very. He seemed to be a very loving person

July 14, 2017 4:37 PM MDT

Yes. That seemed to be maybe true about him, at least from what I read and heard, not that I knew him obviously.
    :(

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 16, 2017 4:10 PM MDT
      July 16, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

Thanks, Adaydreambeliever! I went into a bit more detail of why I asked the question under Thriftymaid's answer if yo want to read it. Itried to copy-and-paste it under WingedWonder's answer but it wouldn't post. Anyway, a lot of the time people find me funny -- and at times, at that same moment, I'm actually feeling quite anxious or "down." So, I asked the question with a bit of myself in mind.

I have heard that, I think, about Benny Hill. He certainly has made me laugh a lot!

Yeah, I agree with you -- probably not a lot of people fit the description in my question.
      July 16, 2017 4:08 PM MDT

That seems to be exactly what's going on with these people. Really funny people are actually very depressed people. Comedy seems to be an outlet for them.
      July 14, 2017 4:39 PM MDT

I seem to have read that more than once about some comedians. And I've heard it straight from some of the comedians' mouths in interviews.
    I sort of asked the question about myself; I've been told more than once how funny I am at times and easy-going but inside I'm pretty anxious at times.
    I went into more detail under Thriftymaid's answer -- I'd copy-and-paste it for you but I am failing at that right now, sorry!
    Thanks for answering, friend!
      July 16, 2017 4:13 PM MDT

Yes, I'm pretty sure they are. 
      July 14, 2017 6:39 PM MDT

Hey, that's pretty neat you agree with my sort of strange dichotomy of a question. I know I can at times be outwardly quite "up" but inside being "down." And it's not that I'm "hiding" myself from others - - it's just that I can still find humor in my anxiety.
    Thanks, Piper!
      July 16, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

You are definitely not alone.  
      July 16, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

• How d you connect these two aspects of personality?
      July 14, 2017 9:13 PM MDT

Good question, whistle6! Ha!
    Actually, as I've been responding to everyone's answers, I've been pondering my own life. My question is based a bit on how I feel sometimes. I'd try to encapsulate it all here but it would probably come out easier if you read my replies to the others. But, in general, I've noticed in my life that people often have said how funny and easy-going I am -  - and inside I'm feeling pretty anxious. but I can easily, then, laugh at myself about it all. Thanks goodness I can laugh at myself!
    Thanks for asking and answering!
      July 16, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

Robin Williams comes to mind straight away. I think it's true for a lot of people. I know of someone personally who is very gifted, but suffers from psychiatric problems. So sad! :(
      July 14, 2017 9:42 PM MDT

You took my answer. Tis sad. I loved Robin Williams. ;(
      July 16, 2017 4:13 PM MDT

Yes, from what I read and heard, Williams had a lot of challenges, though obviously I didn't know him.
    Thanks for answering righty1 -  - again I think of you being the first person who I specifically shared about my anxiety.
    I asked the question with sort of myself in mind a bit. Often people have mentioned how easy-going I seem to be, when inside I'm anxious.
    My best to you and your friend you mentioned. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 16, 2017 4:25 PM MDT
      July 16, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

Yes, and sometimes visa versa.
      July 16, 2017 4:14 PM MDT