Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you like the design of your country's flag and your state or province's flag?

Do you like the design of your country's flag and your state or province's flag?

This is a question about designs, not patriotism.

I absolutely love the design of the USA flag.

My own state's flag doesn't do anything for me.

I really liked the new state flag that was proposed by the state legislature but it died in committee.

Posted - July 29, 2017

Responses

• Total indifference.
      July 29, 2017 2:33 PM MDT

Mine is ok... I don't really have any feelings either way about it.. To some extent I think we are all a bit indoctrinated when it comes to preferring our own flag... We see it so many times, it kinda seeps into our soul :P  

I like the one for a local county... not because it's clever.. just because it has birds on :P
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Sussex
      July 29, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

Yes I do.

July 29, 2017 2:56 PM MDT

That's a very stunning flag. Impressive and pretty too. This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at July 29, 2017 8:15 PM MDT
      July 29, 2017 2:57 PM MDT

• At first, we were disappointed when the state of Georgia made the mistake of taking the Confederate battle flag from the state banner. Of course, we were relieved when the new flag was based on the Confederate First National flag, with a couple of minor variations. Strange that they would substitute a military flag for a political one.
      July 29, 2017 3:02 PM MDT

I like the US flag. It actually has some meaning. Here is are State pennant, which is the only state (Ohio) to have a pennant.

July 29, 2017 3:31 PM MDT

• "State flag is alright."  Haven't been there in a while (home state). This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 29, 2017 5:22 PM MDT
      July 29, 2017 3:44 PM MDT

It is utterly impossible for me to think of the beloved flag of my beloved country without patriotism being a part of it, so I admit my biased from the beginning.  I do happen to believe that the design of United States flag is the most beautiful worldwide, and that opinion, however, does not detract from any other country's flag.

~
      July 29, 2017 5:08 PM MDT

• I like it.
    Canada is home for me. : )
      July 29, 2017 6:02 PM MDT

• Yes, I love the California flag:

The phrase "California Republic" is a testament to the possibility that California could've been its own nation, and I'm descended from people who were there at the state's founding. I have one of these flags in my room. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 29, 2017 10:53 PM MDT
      July 29, 2017 8:13 PM MDT

I hate it. It's way past time for Australia to grow the f**k up and ditch the Union Jack. My avatar is a better design, that's the Aboriginal flag in the corner. The South Australia flag also sports that damned British ensign.
      July 29, 2017 10:01 PM MDT

I personally like the design of the Union Jack.  I looked up your country's state flags and all six of your states have the Union Jack in the upper left corner but your territories go their own way with their flags.

I don't like my own state flag's design because just putting the state seal on a plain blue background and making it a state flag is just generic and that's how almost half of our states designed their flags.  Flags are supposed to set a place apart and not look just like everybody else's. This post was edited by Livvie at July 29, 2017 10:54 PM MDT
      July 29, 2017 10:27 PM MDT

The Uinon Jack is perfectly okay - in Britain, it's THEIR flag. It doesn't belong in Australia, it's a colonial anachronism. We've been independent for 116 years, it's time to cut the apron strings and forget the colonial jackboot.
      July 29, 2017 11:00 PM MDT

The nearest thing to a state / province flag I have is my county flag, which is the flag of the West Riding of Yorkshire (*Originally a “thriding”, the term “riding” is ultimately derived from the old Norse “thrithjungr” meaning a third part and is a legacy of the Viking settlement of Yorkshire in the ninth century. It eventually came to be administered as a separate county.)

I think it is an elegant design and encapsulates important parts of Yorkshire's history and heritage. 

But in a strange way it has a personal resonance for me as well - the "rose en soleil" indicating a innocent external aspect concealing a passionate nature, and as the Scandinavian cross looks like someone lying down it's a reminder of my own mortality.

https://britishcountyflags.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/yorkshire-west-riding-flag/

July 30, 2017 12:07 PM MDT

its okay, i dont mind it
      July 30, 2017 4:37 PM MDT