Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What is the purpose of baptism?

What is the purpose of baptism?

Posted - March 31, 2018

Responses

Acts 11:
    15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
      April 1, 2018 5:37 PM MDT

Acts 18:
    24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.

25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

28 For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publicly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.

Acts 19:
    1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. [NOT IN WATER!]

6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. This post was edited by Not Sure at April 1, 2018 5:46 PM MDT
      April 1, 2018 5:44 PM MDT

I never said that Christians are not baptized with holy spirit, in the name of Jesus, or with fire. Not every time a Christian was baptized were all of that mentioned. That doesn't mean they were not. Same with water. Not mentioned every time but that doesn't mean there was not water. You keep conveniently ignoring Acts 8 and 10. 

(Acts 8:36-39) Now as they were going along the road, they came to a body of water, and the eunuch said: “Look! Here is water; what prevents me from getting baptized?” 37 —— 38 With that he commanded the chariot to halt, and both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, Jehovah’s spirit quickly led Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him anymore, but he went on his way rejoicing.

(Acts 10:44-48) While Peter was still speaking about these matters, the holy spirit came upon all those hearing the word. 45 And the circumcised believers who had come with Peter were amazed, because the free gift of the holy spirit was being poured out also on people of the nations. 46 For they heard them speaking in foreign languages and magnifying God. Then Peter responded: 47 “Can anyone deny water to prevent these from being baptized who have received the holy spirit just as we have?” 48 With that he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they requested him to stay for some days.

(Acts 16:13-15) On the Sabbath day we went outside the gate beside a river, where we thought there was a place of prayer, and we sat down and began speaking to the women who had assembled. 14 And a woman named Lydʹi·a, a seller of purple from the city of Thy·a·tiʹra and a worshipper of God, was listening, and Jehovah opened her heart wide to pay attention to the things Paul was saying. 15 Now when she and her household got baptized, she urged us: “If you have considered me to be faithful to Jehovah, come and stay at my house.” And she just made us come.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G907&t=KJV
    1. to dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk)

2. to cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one's self, bathe

3. to overwhelm

Question for you, what was Jesus baptized in when the holy spirit came upon him?

EDIT:
    Sure seem upset.
    Quote: 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. [NOT IN WATER!]

Would you also say: 
    5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. [NOT IN HOLY SPIRIT!] This post was edited by texasescimo at April 1, 2018 7:30 PM MDT
      April 1, 2018 7:20 PM MDT

And you keep ignoring Acts 18 and 19. Times change. 
      April 2, 2018 2:16 PM MDT

I quoted your verse 5 of chapter 19 and it seems as you don't apply the same rule to leaving out holy spirit as you did water.

Quote from you:
    Acts 19:
    1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. [NOT IN WATER!]

6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 

Quote from me: Would you also say: 
    5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. [NOT IN HOLY SPIRIT!] 

What changed from chapters 8, 10, 16, 18, and 19 and where can I read about that change? Does Chapter 17 say to stop baptizing in water?
      April 2, 2018 3:33 PM MDT

Ok, I give up.
      April 3, 2018 1:08 AM MDT

One thing that I think that we agree on is that there is a difference between the baptism of John and after the death of Jesus.
      April 3, 2018 5:11 AM MDT

To rinse the soap off.
      April 1, 2018 8:45 AM MDT

Guilt cleansing?
      April 1, 2018 5:47 PM MDT

Romans 6:3-6Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.”

April 2, 2018 3:21 PM MDT

Q "What is the purpose of baptism?"
    =======================================================================

According to Luke 3:2-3 John son of Zechariah received the word of God in the wilderness, and "He went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins" So we can see that God authorised John to baptize people "for the forgiveness of sins"
      May 12, 2018 1:14 PM MDT

A full article on the purpose of baptism. You can look up the cited scriptures or click the links to the verses, if you are interested:
    https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2018322?q=baptism&p=par#h=3

Baptism . . . is also now saving you.”​—
    1 PET. 3:21.

Baptism​—A Requirement for Christians

May 13, 2018 7:53 AM MDT