Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Have you ever been stung or bitten by a venomous creature?

Have you ever been stung or bitten by a venomous creature?

Posted - April 4, 2018

Responses

G'nat that I saw or Spotted :( This post was edited by Nice Jugs at April 5, 2018 11:20 PM MDT
      April 4, 2018 4:04 PM MDT

nothing deadly
    Bees...and maybe a Bumble bee as a kid.
    wow...a past thought...seems to be some yellow jackets 
    in the mix as well...LOL

April 4, 2018 4:27 PM MDT

Technically no but once a nazi bit me and since I figure their venomous creatures I'm going to go ahead and say I have been bite by something poisonous. Cheers!  
      April 4, 2018 5:32 PM MDT

Does a jellyfish with tentacles count? I was stung by one or two of them. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 5, 2018 11:20 PM MDT
      April 4, 2018 6:26 PM MDT

Jellyfishes that went to schools might be able to count ...and tentacles could be used like fingers I suppose :)D
      April 4, 2018 6:56 PM MDT

:)
      April 5, 2018 11:15 AM MDT

Of course it counts...It's a creature and it's venomous.
      April 5, 2018 9:32 AM MDT

I don't know why I didn't figure that out myself, ha!
    :)
      April 5, 2018 11:14 AM MDT

No  I have never even been stung by anything but a mosquito.

April 4, 2018 6:28 PM MDT

I was stung by a wasp once. I soaked the nest with poison until it DRIPPED off the branch.

HOW TO DESTROY A WASP NEST

1. Clear an area near the nest, removing all flammable material.
    2. Memorize the area so you can get around in total darkness.
    3. Come back on a moonless night with a tiki torch.
    4. Set the torch in the cleared area, light it, and knock down the nest. Leave the area immediately.
    5. The wasps will come out of the nest looking for trouble, and attack the only thing they can see, which is the burning torch. The end.
      April 4, 2018 8:17 PM MDT

I was stung by a bee and almost died. Nobody knew I was allergic before that. 

Ive been bitten by spiders and ants, nbd. I'm a mosquito magnet, thankfully none that have got me have been carrying anything dangerous (those b*$tards SCARE me). Once by a bluebottle jellyfish - that hurt but no lasting damage.
      April 4, 2018 11:27 PM MDT

Vitamin B1 repels mosquitoes. It's cheap enough to get a bottle of B-50 or B-100 pills. Vitamin B2 makes urine bright yellow, so when the color fades it's time for another pill.
      April 5, 2018 4:25 AM MDT

Never heard that before so I googled it. It seems that some people swear by it although not scientifically proven.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2016/06/06/will-vitamin-b1-scare-mosquitoes-away/
    n

Why Are Some People Especially Enticing to Mosquitoes?

There seem to be significant differences among individuals with respect to how attractive mosquitoes find them. Some people start slapping biting mosquitoes the second they step outside, while others are rarely troubled at all.

A recent article at Smithsonian.com suggests several factors that may help explain this curious phenomenon. It turns out that blood type matters, and so does body temperature and the amount of carbon dioxide a person exhales. The microbial ecology of the skin may also have an effect on mosquitoes and their likelihood of taking a taste. Be wary at the backyard cookout: people drinking beer appear to be especially appealing to mosquitoes.

1. FALCON
      TAOS, NM
      JUNE 11, 2017 AT 7:07 PM

Since vitamin B1 works really well for some of us but not others, perhaps the difference in effectiveness is the presence or absence of the MTHFR gene anomaly, which inhibits vitamin B uptake. If 40% of people of European descent carry this anomaly, that might explain why the experiments fail to find it working consistently.

60% of Caucasians would not be helped at all by B1 to prevent mosquitoes; mixed race folks – many more of us daily – would show little to no effect; and in a deliberately randomized sample (racially speaking) used for research purposes, those folks (lacking the MTHFR anomaly) would not benefit at all.

Their bodies just absorb and use the B1 rather than excrete it. If it only helps people whose bodies are not absorbing but only excreting the B1, and only that MTHFR group fits the bill, it would also explain why it would work on the skin of some people but not work for them if ingested. Just a thought.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16033124

Testing vitamin B as a home remedy against mosquitoes.

Abstract

Vitamin B is often recommended in the popular media as a systemic repellent against mosquitoes. This information is especially prevalent on the Web. The results of a small number of published studies suggested that vitamin B complex supplements are not effective as repellents, but these studies were limited by the use of very few human subjects and only 1 species of mosquito, Aedes aegypti. We extended this work with the use of larger samples of human subjects and with Anopheles stephensi as the test organism. We tested whether ingestion of vitamin B supplements under various regimens affected the attractiveness of volatile skin components transferred to glass vials. Although there was substantial and consistent individual variation in attractiveness, we found no effect of vitamin B supplementation.

April 5, 2018 5:11 AM MDT

I had never bothered to investigate the statement. I saw it a few times in various places since 1970. There were mosquitoes where I grew up, but I live there again now and I am never aware of them, and I take B vitamins regularly, so I assumed there was some such connection. I suppose it's possible that the mosquitoes just died out because of lousy government, as has happened to other populations in various parts of the world. (The Soviets, for one.)

Oh well, whatever. I am not going to stop taking vitamins because of this one study.
      April 7, 2018 12:52 AM MDT

I wouldn't stop taking them either as not likely the original or only reason you were taking them anyway. I am a mosquito magnet. I have asthma and I understand that I give off more carbon monoxide due to it. Maybe I will try a B for a while when they get going good around here. Can't hurt.
      April 7, 2018 6:05 AM MDT

Nope. Australian mosquitoes aren't afraid of vitamin B, they're used to it. Vegemite eaters are loaded with B1.
      April 6, 2018 5:10 PM MDT

No I have nots.
      April 5, 2018 11:21 PM MDT

Have you tried combing them out? 
      April 6, 2018 4:49 AM MDT

Only by wasps, twice, and my fault in both cases!

I was once nipped by a small spider. I felt it as a sudden, sharp pin-prick, but whether it injected any venom I don't know. I didn't have any adverse reaction so either it didn't or the venom was not enough to affect me. I had picked it up inside a building, to release it unharmed outside - how ungrateful of it!
      April 7, 2018 4:17 PM MDT