Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Was the choice that Adam & Eve had between the Tree of Life & the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil really the red pill vs. the blue pill?

Was the choice that Adam & Eve had between the Tree of Life & the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil really the red pill vs. the blue pill?

This is another question inspired by this question: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/61063/how-did-adam-and-eve-get-enough-protein-to-survive-did-they-jus/view/post_id/501704

Adam and Eve could have taken the blue pill by refusing to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil but no, they picked the red pill.  The blue pill was ignorant bliss.  Is ignorant bliss better than knowledge that sometimes comes with suffering and misery?  Also, wouldn't that have made the serpent the good guy by showing them the choice between the red pill and the blue pill?

Posted - July 9, 2018

Responses

God was a f**king tease. Plain and simple. He/She/It supposedly knows all and knew exactly what would happen.
      July 9, 2018 2:36 PM MDT

If humans are God’s children, it kind of seems like negligent parenting.

“You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

Imagine a similar context with human parents:

“You are free to play with any toy in the room; but you must not play with the loaded gun on the table in the middle of the room, for when you play with it you will certainly die.”

We do everything we can to keep the kids away from the deadly stuff and we try to childproof the dangerous stuff as much as possible.

November 13, 2022 8:28 PM MST

Then why don’t you ever apply this type of logic when it comes to setting me up with the woman of my desires who’s in Minneapolis? Grrrrrrr.

~

November 13, 2022 9:16 PM MST

seems like it
      July 9, 2018 2:49 PM MDT

This is a difficult story for me to understand, so seems like it sounds like a perfectly rational answer to me.
      November 13, 2022 8:30 PM MST

The entire tale debunks any claim of the Abrahamic God’s beneficence AND omniscience, because He would have pre-known they would “fall into sin”, thus giving cause for unleashing His anger upon them. Logically, He is then one or the other, or neither, but not both. 

Adam & Eve had the choice to not eat of either tree, and continue on in The Garden as before.
    In effect: They could have left both pills on the table. But that would make for a boring story. 

The hogwash about the talking snake is beyond reasonable context, demonstrating that an all-omnipotent Creator was either unable to effectively supervise his little plot occupied by 2 naive people or, benignly allowed the temptation to occur there.
    Think, why was the tree of G&E there to begin with... This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 13, 2022 8:52 PM MST
      July 9, 2018 2:56 PM MDT

Oh me and my grubby mind.... I got stuck thinking about another little blue pill that would be potentially very useful 
      July 9, 2018 3:23 PM MDT

LOL!

Eve: “Oh, ADAM!”

~

November 12, 2022 7:41 AM MST

You missed the point.  The ate of the tree because they wanted to be like God.  They weren't satisfied in being made in His image.  They weren't happy with the paradise God had put them in.  No, they wanted to be God.    They listened to bad advice ... advise that stroked their egos. Then they let their pride rule them.  They (and we) got the knowledge of good and evil.  They lost their innocence.  
      July 9, 2018 3:49 PM MDT

( . . . advise advice that stroked their egos.)

[The bad part is that you used the word twice, the first time you wrote it correctly, but the second time you did not!]

November 12, 2022 7:44 AM MST

Citation void, as it was issued after time limitations for issuing citations on this question had expired.   (As per ruling in Bubba v. US Board of Grammar, 912 U.S. 515, 151 (1903)).
      November 12, 2022 10:04 AM MST

Officer Randolph D Randall has irrevocable and exclusive retroactive discretion if and when a suspect fails to self-report any violation that is later discovered within five years and 363 days of the posting date. 

Read the fine print before attempting to disparage a fine, upstanding and hardworking servant of the court. Grrrrrrr.
    ~

November 12, 2022 11:25 AM MST

Im sorry, but this was from the US Supreme court.  
      November 12, 2022 3:21 PM MST

(Im I’m)

(Court)

[The subsequent typographical errors invalidate any protest you may try to mount. Ruling of Randall Court.]

November 12, 2022 4:08 PM MST

(They ate of the tree . . . )

November 12, 2022 11:32 AM MST

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the story.  God had to have known what was going to happen, so it still seems to me like it was a set up.
      November 13, 2022 8:47 PM MST

Yes, God knew what would happen.  However, His foreknowledge didn’t change Adam and Eve’s actions.  They disobeyed God and the result of their action was death (God had said – “the day you eat of it (the fruit) you will die.”).  When God said “death”, He was talking separation.  Before they disobeyed, Adam and Eve walked and talked with God.  But once they sinned, they were cut off from God.  But God loved them (and us) so much that He couldn’t leave them separated from Him.  So through His great plan, He brought His Son into the world to rescue people from death. 

Some people read this story and see God as a mean tyrant.  Yet it’s actually a story of love.  God could have wiped then out then and there, but He didn’t.  Like any good father, he disciplined His children (sin is serious and He didn’t/doesn’t want His children “playing” with it). 

November 13, 2022 9:44 PM MST

That's a huge leap of logic. How do you know what God was thinking, or if there even exists such an entity that is capable of human thought and behavior?
      November 13, 2022 10:09 PM MST

I know God exists from seeing His creation all around me.  
      November 14, 2022 11:00 AM MST

Unless you consider that everything formed and evolved by force of nature, and human beings formed religions and created gods to explain how it all came about. Interesting possibility that makes a lot of sense, isn’t it? You just need to open your mind to alternative ideas.
      November 14, 2022 11:45 AM MST

To say that this intricate universe formed itself is akin to saying a tornado blew through a forest and produced a bunch of houses.  
      November 14, 2022 1:32 PM MST

It evolved and changed over billions of years, and it makes a lot more sense than believing that an old man sitting in the sky waved his magic wand and it all instantaneously appeared.
      November 14, 2022 1:43 PM MST

Saying it evolved over billions of years makes it sound feasible.  However, when one breaks that down to day by day, week by week (etc.),  feasibility goes out the window.  Then you're down to trial and error.
      November 14, 2022 2:58 PM MST

But it still makes more sense than instant creation by a guy in the sky.
      November 14, 2022 3:36 PM MST