Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Does anyone ever notice that in politics the things that one side believes about the other side...

Does anyone ever notice that in politics the things that one side believes about the other side...

are the same things the other side believes about them?

(This question was inspired by many different questions on Answermug and other places.)

Posted - July 26, 2018

Responses

No.  I don't notice that.

I don't behave that way.  I don't think that way and I don't act that way.

If I say a thing, it is because I thoroughly witnessed it, several times out of the person's own mouth.

That is the only side I care about. The side of truth.  And there seem to be a lot of folks the world over except those in Russia, who agree with me and my side.

July 26, 2018 12:52 PM MDT

If you aim to tell the truth, you have bad aim. You’re all hysteria and hyperbole. This post was edited by Rizz at July 26, 2018 3:48 PM MDT
      July 26, 2018 1:35 PM MDT

Well, that's *your* opinion. 
      July 26, 2018 2:16 PM MDT

I call it how I see it. I know I’m not alone. 
      July 26, 2018 2:55 PM MDT

Only to a limited, general point.
    For example, both sides are guilty of "fear mongering".  But the specifics of what fear they are "selling" is different.

Here's some interesting charts on public opinion polls of Presidents:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States

July 26, 2018 1:48 PM MDT

Many things I said about Obama the left now says about Trump.  They are very dissimilar.  I don't get my thoughts from the media.  Todays crybaby snowflakes take their cues from mainstream media.  So so sad.  And Orwellian. 

p

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 31, 2018 10:58 AM MDT
      July 26, 2018 2:15 PM MDT

Funny you should mention Orwell, Animal Farm seems strikingly relevant at present.. 
      July 26, 2018 2:20 PM MDT

I noticed that.

The left:  President Trump is throwing our European allies under the bus to have peace with Russia!

The right:  President Obama threw Israel under the bus to have peace with Iran!
      July 28, 2018 5:36 PM MDT

• Yes. 

The other side is corrupt, evil, and made up of liars. They want to destroy our way of life and silence us so we have to destroy them first. 

I could be talking about any political side in almost any context. It's the same crap from everyone. I'll start listening when someone has an original observation to make.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 27, 2018 7:41 AM MDT
      July 26, 2018 2:18 PM MDT

You can tell the direction in which the country is going.  You don't have to hear that from anyone.  What is done is always more important that what is said.  
      July 26, 2018 5:58 PM MDT

As an outsider I have seen that one side is fond of accusing the other of things that they do themselves... THEY apparently cannot see themselves doing it.. 
      July 26, 2018 2:22 PM MDT

I actually don't think one side can see it when they themselves do what they accuse the other side of doing.  However, I think it's natural for most people to judge politicians they generally don't support more harshly than they judge politicians they generally do support.
      July 28, 2018 5:40 PM MDT

Yes, it is quite easy to see. And conspiracies abound in every debate.
      July 26, 2018 2:57 PM MDT

Whether quietly/calmly or loudly/over-the-top, some seem, to me, to do this to each other

yelling pauly d GIF This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 27, 2018 7:41 AM MDT
      July 26, 2018 3:44 PM MDT

Perhaps in a general sense. The same might be said of religions as well.

If I were to make a loose summary: each faction portrays the other as false or backwards, even exaggerating their own merits and the other‘s faults, regardless of the truth. 
      July 26, 2018 3:58 PM MDT

• Thus the more it becomes obvious that the "factions" are two sides of the same coin. 
      July 26, 2018 6:10 PM MDT

THe differences are in the particulars, the results are rarely to the benefit of constituents. 
      July 26, 2018 6:20 PM MDT

no, i havent noticed that yet
      July 26, 2018 4:50 PM MDT

For all our squabbling, "we the people" are remarkably uniform. We all live in houses, drive motor vehicles, buy food grown and harvested by strangers, and so on.

When you want to create a political party, you can not appeal to sameness, you have to be different somehow from the other party or parties. So you select an issue that is important to the members you already have. Other people maybe don't care about that issue, but they have an issue of their own and if your party will support their issue, they will join. Your party needs the members, so you soften your line and add their issue.

All the other parties are doing the same thing, and that is why the parties are so much alike: they all represent the same people, "we the people". When you notice what political parties are doing, you are looking at two or more mirrors turned at different angles, all reflecting yourself and your neighbors.
      July 26, 2018 11:59 PM MDT

It seems that way---mostly because Trump's base does not life in the real world (according to a commentator on cable news today).

If that's true, then for every error one might post, a correction is necessary.

So your conclusion doesn't surprise me at all.
      July 27, 2018 12:20 AM MDT

This post was edited by kjames at July 31, 2018 9:03 PM MDT
      July 31, 2018 11:02 AM MDT