Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Are you often plagued by the fear that you might lose your partner to the "competition" only to get back into a life of dreaded loneliness?

Are you often plagued by the fear that you might lose your partner to the "competition" only to get back into a life of dreaded loneliness?

Posted - September 15, 2018

Responses

I’ve been single and by myself for so long I dread being in a relationship. I’m not lonely. Some of us are quite content being single and on our own. I dread and become anxious of the whole dating scene. 
      September 15, 2018 4:09 PM MDT

No.....we've been together since I was 17....I'm like my parents....and could never ever visualize myself messing around  ..
      September 15, 2018 4:22 PM MDT

i would if i had a spouse
      September 15, 2018 4:42 PM MDT

No way because - Nobody can do the (Shing-a-ling) like I do. Nobody can do the (Skate) like I do. Nobody can do (Boogaloo) like I do. Nobody can do (Philly) like I do  Nobody but me. Cheers and happy weekend!
      September 15, 2018 5:09 PM MDT

I feel secure with my partner.  That about says it all.  :  )

I hope he feels the same way.   
    This post was edited by Sunshine at September 15, 2018 10:56 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 5:10 PM MDT

Not at all...We're the best thing that happened to each other. This post was edited by Element 99 at September 20, 2018 12:49 AM MDT
      September 15, 2018 8:23 PM MDT

Ok, who are you, and what have you done with the real Element 99?

~
      September 20, 2018 12:51 AM MDT

Nope.
    My hubby is great at being good long-term friends with other women, but none of them have ever wanted to mate with him.
      September 16, 2018 1:16 PM MDT

I've never had any such "competition".  My wife isn't the kind of woman who would ever make me worry that she'd be gone one day, especially not into the arms of another.   Old age and death will most likely be our final chapters. 
      As for the dreaded life of loneliness, if my wife were to precede me in passing, I'm not sure if returning to that life would be complete and utter loneliness.  I know I would miss her terribly; I think it's impossible to assume that after being together all these years and then losing her would be easily shaken off. I just know how I am, I would eventually venture to see if "I've still got it".  Of course, age, ability and desire play a large part in it.

Sidebar: over the past few years, and on more than one occasion, my wife and I have had the discussion "What would you do if I died, would you remarry?"  Both of us answered in the probably not category (but for different reasons).

~

September 20, 2018 1:07 AM MDT

• Care to share those reasons privately? 
      September 20, 2018 7:20 PM MDT

Her reasons fell along the lines of lack of interest in any other man, in any other men, in starting all over with a new man, with new men, etc.

My reasons fell along the lines of lack of interest in remarriage, in marrying another woman, of being married again, etc.

~

September 20, 2018 8:51 PM MDT