Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What's one of the weirdest things you have done? Or even just a weird thing?

What's one of the weirdest things you have done? Or even just a weird thing?

I was reminded today of something pretty strange I did ..... 

Twas a long hot summer, I had a company about 20 miles away donate their time and resources by driving up here with several milk tankers full of water... It was probably not that environmentally friendly really... and they didn't really get much thanks for it as the parish council didn't want any publicity regarding it... but it was the pond I cared about and I was worried about the fish dying.. 

When I think back I still don't know how I managed to persuade the owner of the company to do that.. they had to flush their tankers out so they could carry the water.. 

I can be persuasive when I try :P

Posted - November 12, 2018

Responses

That is all I know about Kennedy. 
      November 25, 2018 7:27 AM MST

Don't know if this was weird so much as daring, and something that, looking back 40 years later, I can't believe I did and would never do now. And I did it twice, at 15 and 18!

On my college's campus are a couple of deep, natural gorges, including one called Triphammer Falls. One route across the falls, connecting the central and northern sections of campus, is the Thurston Avenue bridge. 
    Directly underneath the bridge is an off-public-limits catwalk, seen here.

While I was attending a summer program for teens at 15, one of the counselors led a bunch of us over a fence, down an embankment, and across the catwalk from one side to the other, then up the opposite embankment. Three years later, as an 18-year-old freshman, I did the same thing on my own. Nowadays, especially given that I am afraid of heights, I shudder whenever I think about it.
      November 13, 2018 8:47 PM MST

I tried to kill myself once with sleeping pills that I never bothered to swallow.
      November 13, 2018 10:02 PM MST

I am very glad you didn't swallow them x
      November 25, 2018 7:47 AM MST

Chained myself to a bulldozer, in an attempt to save the last habitat of the long-footed potoroo in my home State, as well as one of the few healthy koala colonies. Didn't work, my fellow protesters and I were arrested and the area clear-felled.
      November 13, 2018 11:05 PM MST

Bless you for trying!  I sabotaged my whole career trying to protect coral reefs in South Florida from damage due to offshore dredging.  That effort also failed.  The forces of avarice and greed usually seem to prevail.
      November 18, 2018 5:14 PM MST

Those things are too hard to beat but you did try and that makes you one of the good ones 
      November 25, 2018 7:41 AM MST

Well in 1978-79 I followed a man to the Philippines where we lived on a military installation as married though we were not. 
      November 18, 2018 7:39 AM MST

Well, it's a very good way to spend time living in another country :)
      November 25, 2018 7:48 AM MST

That is not weird that is great.  That is inspiring.  May we all be this driven to do positive change.  

Good for you.

I'll get back to you on what I've done.  There is a list and they are not heroic, just weird.
      November 18, 2018 5:16 PM MST

Weird will do just fine :)
      November 25, 2018 7:18 AM MST

Hardly Sharon, unfortunately.  I was "in love" and had nothing else going on.  We fought much of the time and I got a urinary tract infection and had to have a friend back in the states send me healthy food so I could heal myself.   But the people were very friendly and loving. 
      November 25, 2018 7:32 AM MST

Officegirl, Sharon's response is to Daydream's post, not to your answer. 
    ~
      November 25, 2018 7:39 AM MST

I've thought about this for a few days.  I used to take Ambien to help me sleep.  As you may know, one of the side effects is "sleep driving."  One morning after having taken ambien I was awakened by my head hitting the airbag of my car.  Apparently I had got dressed, went out to the car, and headed off to parts unknown.  I'd taken our portable home phone in the car with me and a neighbor told me that I was trying to call someone on it after the crash even though I was way out of range from the house.  It was very early in the morning, when I never get up, and I'd had a couple of drinks before going to bed late.  I still had alcohol in my system so I had to go to jail for a few hours and was charged with Driving Under the Influence.  I barely remember anything until I came to at the police station.  I think the collision had knocked the little bit of sense I still had out of me.  I was very weird to have missed out on all that time not knowing what happened or what I was doing.  I never took ambien again. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at November 25, 2018 7:43 AM MST
      November 18, 2018 5:27 PM MST

I have to admit.. that's pretty impressive! 
      November 25, 2018 7:17 AM MST

My wife used to take that. She would empty the refrigerator. She doedn't take it anymore.
      November 25, 2018 7:44 AM MST