Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Which matters more, credentials or experience?

Which matters more, credentials or experience?

Posted - December 9, 2018

Responses

OK Professor Nazton.
      December 9, 2018 3:29 PM MST

• Education is great of course, but I respect experience far more.    Walking the walk...
      December 9, 2018 3:38 PM MST

Hello there JA
    In most cases experience is most important and will result in a better finished product.
    That being said, when one is in need of certain services, credentials such as licensing, insurances, bonds etc, should most certainly be considered. 
    An example would be a building contractor. No amount of experience can stop an "Act of God" ( a storm, fire etc.) or an injury to a worker, they do happen, and when they do you are going to need those credentials or you may find your self in a bad situation. I also think that the effort to become "credentialed" is admirable and shows a desire to be correct, not getting credentialed can be an example of a certain laziness
    Ideally, credentials and experience are desired.
      December 9, 2018 3:45 PM MST

Experience is the teacher of all things. -Julius Caesar

EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST TEACHER - "The great Roman leader Julius Caesar recorded the earliest known version of this proverb, 'Experience is the teacher of all things,' in 'De Bello Civili' (c. 52 B.C.).

This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at December 10, 2018 8:05 AM MST
      December 9, 2018 3:53 PM MST

No doubt in my mind it is credentials as you could have one year experience 10 times and not got any better.
      December 9, 2018 4:10 PM MST

Neither.  The cops will give you a ticket for speeding whether you're a race car driver (experience ) or someone who's gotten a lot of traffic tickets in their lifetime (credentials).
      December 9, 2018 5:15 PM MST

• If you don't know what you're doing it will become obvious quickly.  Credentials make good toilet paper.
      December 9, 2018 5:46 PM MST

probably experience
      December 9, 2018 7:31 PM MST

Experience. There's only so much you can learn about swimming from watching somebody swim. 
      December 10, 2018 11:38 AM MST

Well! This post sure got sidetracked!

Dirt track at that!
      December 10, 2018 2:03 PM MST