Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Shuhak
Randy D
Thebigd
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Are you Proud of your country ?

Are you Proud of your country ?

me yes... 

Posted - April 6, 2019

Responses

The best of my country yes.  Not proud of the worst. 
      April 6, 2019 7:51 PM MDT

• Yes.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 7, 2019 12:33 PM MDT
      April 6, 2019 7:53 PM MDT

No sound. Nothing wrong on this end.
      April 7, 2019 12:34 PM MDT

• You have to unmute it.... 
      April 7, 2019 8:46 PM MDT

Very much. 
      April 6, 2019 7:53 PM MDT

I love America and am glad to be American. It is a beautiful country with all different types of landscapes and climates.  However, I don't care for our government or all of the annoying laws that keep popping up...  But all in all, I love America!
      April 6, 2019 8:00 PM MDT

I'm so proud of my country that I made sure I was born  on it's birthday (July 1st). Cheers and happy weekend!
      April 6, 2019 8:48 PM MDT

yea but you had no choice on your birth day 
      April 6, 2019 9:17 PM MDT

No.
    Australia was founded on lies, illegalities and atrocities beyond the scope of most people's comprehension.
    King George III had decreed the land could only be claimed if it was "Terra Nullius" meaning land empty of all people.
    It wasn't. It was occupied by over 350 territorial peoples with distinct languages and cultures, people with built houses, villages, aquaculture and agriculture. Knowing this, it was annexed at the point of cannon and gunfire with no attempts at agreements or treaties - hence it was illegal under Britain's own laws.

There were continent wide and government sanctioned systematic murders, massacres and attempts at genocide of the Aborigines, and when that failed, systematic incarceration, enslavement, rape of the women, deliberate addiction to alcohol and sugar, deprivation of nourishment, destruction of language, culture kinship systems that prevented inbreeding, and theft of land and resources. Then there were 60 years of stealing the children from their parents, braking up families and communities. The traumas suffered were - and still are - unspeakable.

Now, our government - against the wishes of 85% of the electorate - is committed to similar treatment of the boat-people asylum seekers escaping from wars and political, religious and racial persecutions in various parts of the world.

The richest Australians in US dollars: Andrew Forrest $12.7 billion, Anthony Pratt  $6.8 billion, James Packer $6.1 billion, Vivek Sehgal $5.88 billion, Frank P. Lowy, $4.6 billion... you get the jist. Australia now has 33 billionaires, up by 14 since the GFC in 2008. The top 1% of Australians own more wealth than the bottom 70% combined.
    In the meantime, poverty and homelessness is grows worse and far more common because rents have become unaffordable on the lowest legal wages, and the middle classes are earning less, struggling more and becoming fewer. 

How could I possibly feel proud of such a country?

Australia is in urgent need of reform, social justice and a systematic effort to save the environment. This post was edited by inky at April 7, 2019 2:16 PM MDT
      April 6, 2019 10:46 PM MDT

You missed Gina Rinehart - $US15.8bn.
    Unlike you, I am rather proud of who we are as a people, though not necessarily of who we were or what we did to get here. We've managed to keep our economy on an even keel, and despite 6 years of Conservative mismanagement, the fundamentals of Medicare (and similar safety nets) have not been dismantled. Common sense gun laws, ultra-right-wing Nazis like Fraser Anning being quite rightly reviled and censured ...
      April 7, 2019 5:11 AM MDT

That all sounds familiar. A similar country on a far grander scale. Hmm...
      April 7, 2019 12:37 PM MDT

No....I'm English and find it sickening what the English Royalty and endless English goverments have done around the globe.....
    Whe have stolen so many countries from other people around the world and now it's impossible to ever return them.....
    The English invented concentration camps ,slaughtered nearly every native of Australia and Anerica to....

We are a war like nation and not necessarily all the people ,just the evil parisites that think they had the right to do such things to un devoloped countries.....
    Their only aim being to plunder other countries minerials and to enslave it's people......
      April 7, 2019 5:39 AM MDT

Not particularly.
    As far as what there is to be proud of, I am at a loss to assemble much of a list.
    There are still many exciting and/or beautiful places in the US, and we still have plenty of the best destinations, universities and hospitals. 

That said, the US Federal Govt. no longer functions in any useful or consistent manner; certainly not for the interests of the people at large, but mainly to prop up a partisan plutocracy, systematically diluting the freedoms and power of its citizens, and failing its responsibilities at every turn. To my eye, analogies to Ancient Rome become more evident with each passing year. 

The US military, while still the world’s best and best equipped, and a valuable employer of men and women, has been relegated to a grand political tool, policing the earth for political whim at immense cost, swallowing uncountable resources that may be better focused toward the more direct needs of the taxpaying citizenry. Every time I drive over one of our rotting bridges, or past yet another superfund site, or worse, smell the filth in what was once pristine waters, I am reminded of how misguided the priorities are, and how many trillions of our dollars are spent on the ruination of people with brown skin in faraway lands.
    Average citizens in this richest country in the world can’t afford medicines, doctor visits or college educations. Few own land, or have much in the way of savings. Public education is a sham; in many places the police are overloaded, overmatched, and increasingly corrupt, as is the judicial system. 

The history of the US is seething with murder, indignity and criminality. 500 years ago, European settlers turned the continent into killing fields, exterminating millions of natives, destroying cultures, violating treaties, and stealing ancestral lands. For nearly 400 years, Africans, kidnapped from their homelands, were forced into the most dire slavery here, over which the deadliest war in US history was fought, and from which parts of the country are slow to emerge. We have routinely propped up dictatorships, overthrown other govts, occupied other countries, and violated national sovereignties.
    Jim Crow, the Trail of Tears, Prohibition, the Bay of Pigs, the War on Drugs, the Red Scare and Vietnam all stand among many symbols of humiliating and costly failures. 

Still well over half of the residents of the US believe their religion is the only source of morality, of historicity; they deny science and evidence; and hold worldviews based on Bronze Age texts and superstitions they don’t fully understand, or agree on. All while legions of clerics of these faiths continue to turn up as criminals of the most heinous sort. 

I served my country in uniform for nine years, it now bears little resemblance to what I signed up to protect, and given the abject incompetence in “leadership”, it seems destined toward something worse. This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 8, 2019 4:17 PM MDT
      April 7, 2019 6:06 AM MDT

Well said.
      April 7, 2019 12:41 PM MDT

• I'm proud of being an American .. but I'm not proud of what some politicians are trying to make America become.
      April 7, 2019 9:14 AM MDT

NO. 
      April 7, 2019 12:36 PM MDT

I am proud of our people that are doing as they should and we don't hear from. that is the majority.  But they only quote the radicals and ones with those who pretend hurt feelings and trying to destroy others who disagree with them.  The people would generally get along but they want to classify all of us in some category to keep a wedge driven if they can.
      April 7, 2019 2:08 PM MDT

No; partly because I see little positive in pride itself, and steer clear of nationalism. There is nothing that could make any country better just because I happened to be born in it.

Now I do find it significant to be familiar with Bosnia's customs (I was born in Belgium but consider that country less my own) as well as its history; in the first place, though, that requires acknowledgement of how very much of that history should lead to the opposite of pride.
      April 7, 2019 2:23 PM MDT