Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » History » In the early days of motor vehicles how did police/the law deal with drunken drivers -especially those who caused an accident?

In the early days of motor vehicles how did police/the law deal with drunken drivers -especially those who caused an accident?

Posted - August 15, 2019

Responses

probably the same way they deal with it now
      August 16, 2019 2:38 PM MDT

No  honey.  In the early days, drunk driving was not even illegal.  
      August 16, 2019 2:40 PM MDT

Gee, I agree with Angry/Scared/ Fat/Ugly.  In 1972, my van was demolished by a drunken speeder who had no insurance.  It was tough getting money from him!!!!!  So the law makers saw this problem everyone was having with drunk drivers AND uninsured drivers and changed the laws. 
      August 17, 2019 6:27 AM MDT

My state had DWIs way before 72.  It was a traffic citation.  Today in some states a DWI is a misdemeanor and if you get enough of them you'll end up a felon.  It's like everything else....when there's a "movement" they have to go overboard.  MADD got themselves a movement going and now some states have off the charts laws about impaired driving.  The goal should be to keep impaired drivers off the road....the result is that lives are ruined in some states because of one DWI.   That is too much! 
      August 17, 2019 6:44 PM MDT

They placed a comma after the word “vehicles” in your sentence. You, however, did not. 

:|

November 8, 2022 8:42 AM MST

On September 10, 1897, a 25-year-old London taxi driver named George Smith becomes the first person ever arrested for drunk driving after slamming his cab into a building. Smith later pleaded guilty and was fined 25 shillings.

source: history.com

November 8, 2022 1:53 PM MST