Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you use great big words that you don't understand?

Do you use great big words that you don't understand?

Roccoco ROCCOCO ROCCOCO

Posted - September 26, 2019

Responses

No.

~
      September 26, 2019 8:03 PM MDT

I don't either. I am a walking dictionary.  
      September 26, 2019 9:18 PM MDT

What page are you on right now then....Did you know my diction'hairy contains the words of any book ever ritten sep't the ones I ten two white    :) D
      September 27, 2019 3:53 AM MDT

• Rocky Roccoco at your cervix!
      September 26, 2019 9:19 PM MDT

That definitely drew a smile! :) :)
      September 26, 2019 9:36 PM MDT

No, I rarely find that to be proficuous.
      September 26, 2019 9:31 PM MDT

That I don't understand or that the people I'm conversing with doesn't understand?
    Sometimes, both!  
    Naaaa.
    If I hear a word I haven't heard before and can't figure it out in the context it was used, I ask the person.

I'm not timid when it comes to learning!  In the past, when I have asked it makes the person who used the word feel very important and I get to learn something.  It's been a win/win for me, every time. :) :)
      September 26, 2019 9:43 PM MDT

Rarely. I don't approve of floccinaucinihilipilification.
      September 27, 2019 4:55 AM MDT

I agree.
      September 27, 2019 8:50 AM MDT

I already can figure out this word by the context and content of the conversation.... Just wanted make sure you already knew what you know and knew that I knew you knew I know what you said....
    BUT, if I didn't  and you didn't already know what we do, this is how I would break it down.  This is taken you had written it down and not verbalized the word.  You know.
    Quick Note:  I have not looked up this word and am going on sheer breaking-down-a-word and drawing on your use.  I'm already assuming you are using it correctly.  I have NOT looked it up.
    Seeing the word for a the first time, I would take the first syllable.  That normally leads me into the thought behind all the "English" twang put on it.  (Think playing a game of 8 Ball. ;)) "floc." Sounds like a bunch of sheep.  Sheep aren't known for their brilliance. "inaucinihilipil" is a bunch a hogwash and letters that were probably used to intimate any person of sound mind to use in a word.  The guy who came up with this mess of constants and the vowel, "i" was trying to dry out his feathered pen.  He had obtained too much ink on the end of it and was trying to brush it off.  Too many.  He was trying to dry his beautiful pen to continue consistent penmanship.  Fication reminds me of fiction. 
    In conclusion, it took my brain, looking at this word, standing alone, to say:
    For all the words I used, they hold no intimidating power as to the power of sounding out the word, "floccinaucinihilipilification." 
    Slartibartfast could not have said it better, himself.  It's a good thing he did.  
    Has your towel been unadulterated lately?
    ;) :)

September 27, 2019 9:23 AM MDT

intimidate.  Sorry.  I know you read right through it but I like to get the word across without too many mistakes.
    Big Giggles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      September 27, 2019 9:25 AM MDT

No...I would appear supercilious.
      September 27, 2019 8:52 AM MDT

Anytime you see a lot of "i"s and "l"s, the original writer was drying his/her pen.  Her wasn't allowed back then... But... as women do, they still wrote behind "his" back and not supercilious things but rather smart things.  Direct and to the point. ;) :)
      September 27, 2019 9:27 AM MDT

Never one that I don't understand.
    I try to avoid big words unless no other fits the meaning.
    But then, I'll break the rule sometimes for cadence, context or mood - poetic reasons.
    Or I might break it when talking with someone who likes big words.
    Some big words are great. With just a short string of syllables, one can cut out a whole paragraph of explanations.
    Some of them aren't even that big - like osmosis.
    Or love.

This post was edited by inky at September 28, 2019 11:13 PM MDT
      September 28, 2019 2:42 AM MDT

You're so funny!  But, you know what they mean and how to use them... just your audience might be a bit stumped, right?
    ;) :)
      September 28, 2019 11:14 PM MDT

What the hell is a  'quit pro quo' ?
      September 29, 2019 7:21 AM MDT