Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Why are people afraid of bugs?

Why are people afraid of bugs?

Posted - October 25, 2019

Responses

Because the smaller they are the more difficult it is to see and find then....so many viruses and bacteria for ever mutate and return even more determined to keep on doing what nature let them evolve to :(
      October 25, 2019 9:29 PM MDT

Because you cannot control what they are going to do and they can bite you.
      October 25, 2019 9:48 PM MDT

Because they are small.
    Because most of us think they are ugly.
    Because they have more legs than us and we can't figure why they need so many.
    Because some of them have more eyes than us.
    Because they can see in the dark and we can't.
    Because they lurk in places we take comfort in, like out beds and shoes.
    Because they appear out of nowhere.
    Because there are actually more of them than us.
    Because most of us don't understand their lifestyle. 
    Because we know some of them are poisonous and don't really know what to do if we, or a loved one gets bitten.

Because, as a general rule, we are frightened of every and anything we don't understand.

This post was edited by Merlin at October 27, 2019 9:26 PM MDT
      October 25, 2019 9:55 PM MDT

Lady Bird bugs are cute tough.....and don't forget other four Beatles that infested Liverpool and then the world....
      October 27, 2019 9:30 PM MDT

Saaweeettt for those four Beatles.  They rest I could do without except they make for great food to the birds!
    Good Call, :) :) 
      October 27, 2019 9:56 PM MDT

:)

Especially that George beatle . . .

Image result for cute george harrison

October 28, 2019 8:33 AM MDT

A lot depends on the type of bug. Some are vectors for disease.
      October 25, 2019 10:32 PM MDT

Because most bugs are very brave critters who like to fight and they are not afraid of people who are many times bigger than they are. 
      October 25, 2019 11:03 PM MDT

The question is too general. Personally, I am fascinated by them. On the other hand, I know someone who is afraid of butterflies. The other answers above are good.
      October 26, 2019 8:00 AM MDT

According to the DSM-5, 6% of Americans have a phobia about some type of insect (or arachnid).
    Fear can develop from a belief that the insect is dangerous,
    or from a traumatic experience such as an allergic reaction to a bee sting.

I can imagine that if someone is OCD about cleanliness, they could develop a phobia about cockroaches because of where these bugs sometimes find some of their food.

I have a strong dislike for mosquitos because, in our area, a single bite can lead to Ross River Virus. The virus causes cold-like symptoms, which later lead to chronic fatigue and severe life-long arthritis.
    We have wire mesh on every window and door, and are very particular about not allowing guests to hover in the open doorway when arriving and leaving (which seems for some unknown reason to be a common tendency).
    I'm very sensitive to the sound of a mosquito and have become adept at swatting them when outdoors.
    I avoid being outside at dawn and dusk in hot, humid weather - or I wear a net over the exposed areas of my skin.

I also have a healthy respect for paralysis ticks - remove them a.s.a.p., and for spiders known to cause death, necrotic bites or severe pain.
    I know where these critters hang out and avoid the habitats.
      October 26, 2019 1:22 PM MDT

Those don't sound like irrational fears, but healthy respect.
      October 26, 2019 1:31 PM MDT

Murray encephalitis is another mosquito-borne disease specific to Australia. Mozzies frankly terrify me, they are the most deadly creature on Earth.
    Spiders don't bother me, although I don't make friends with redbacks and no longer live in an area where funnel webs can be found. White tailed spiders are dangerous only if you're allergic to the fungus found on their fangs - the venom is harmless to vertebrates but the fungus is a fairly common allergen. I'm not, having been bitten an a few occasions without harm.
      October 26, 2019 8:52 PM MDT

• Hey, listen!  I've seen all those old B-movies from the 60's and 70's where different insects mutate for some bizarre reason and grow extra large or extra smart and start going after the human population.  So I wouldn't say I'm scared but I also ain't no fool.  I just see myself as another average citizen informed by sloppy Saturday cinema.  I got no time nor tolerance for the possibility of an insect uprising.  Nuh-Uh!  The bug in the house must die!  In the wild they're just fine, but you can bet I'm keeping my eye on 'em.
      October 26, 2019 1:43 PM MDT

Because "they're creeping up on you"

("Creepshow")

Image result for creepshow they're creeping up on you gif
      October 26, 2019 2:01 PM MDT

• OMG!  You just had to "go there" didn't you?  LOL!
      October 26, 2019 2:03 PM MDT

I guess I did, didn't I?

I've probably seen some of those movies you're talking about, too, in your answer.

"Creepshow"is a huge favorite of mine.
      October 26, 2019 2:06 PM MDT

• Its a classic.  Jon and I watched the "Tales From The Darkside" movie a few nights ago.  LOL!  Afterward we inevitably segued into a discussion of "Creepshow" as well.  Fun fluff and awesome stuff!
      October 26, 2019 2:34 PM MDT

Definitely!

Image result for creepshow gif they're creeping up on you
      October 27, 2019 8:37 PM MDT

Image result for E.G. Marshall creepshow gif

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 27, 2019 8:59 PM MDT
      October 27, 2019 8:39 PM MDT

Image result for upson pratt creepshow gif
      October 27, 2019 8:45 PM MDT

(I think this guy is hot; actor Warner Shook)

Image result for creepshow movie gif

October 27, 2019 8:50 PM MDT

AAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ick! Ick! Ick! Ick!!!

This post was edited by Merlin at October 27, 2019 9:01 PM MDT
      October 27, 2019 8:53 PM MDT

GREAT movie, though!!
    "Creepshow"

And though he didn't get one, to me, actor E.G. Marshall deserved an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his role in "Creepshow" here --  he was stunning! He played "Upson Pratt" (he was terribly afraid of bugs) - - what a great name!

October 27, 2019 9:04 PM MDT

I think I've figured it out.  You are like the "Mythbuster" guys!  Your career is doing special effects for movies in Hollywood and beyond!!  This is why you know so much about songs and movies!!!  You are a behind the scenes SUPERSTAR!! :):) ;);) 
      October 27, 2019 9:32 PM MDT