Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » anyone know how long we're going to get stuck with everything closed?

anyone know how long we're going to get stuck with everything closed?

where i live a lot of places are closed cause of the corona virus, i cant even go see a movie or do anything else,not even go to church, Im tired of being stuck inside cause of nothing being open, ive thought of volunteering but noone seems to want that either right now. im not working right now.  any ideas of how long this is going to last? 

Posted - March 18, 2020

Responses

It may be a few months.  We're all in the same boat, so sit tight and try to relax.
      March 18, 2020 5:09 PM MDT

It will have to run its course....no one can predict what nature will do....this virus is in its early form and may kill many hosts before it mutates again and becomes less harmful to humans....it's not in any viruse intrest to persist in killing its host.....it's far better to live off of a healthy victim for an extended period than to need to go find new ones ever few day or so..
    No one knows how long it will take to mutate again and become relatively harmless...
    Stay home and wash with hot water and soap as often as you need and be greatful its only boredom you have to cope with....xx
      March 18, 2020 5:16 PM MDT

No one knows. 
      March 18, 2020 5:30 PM MDT

I’m starting to think forever, however long that is. 
      March 18, 2020 6:45 PM MDT

Er, um, that’s how long you promised to wait for me, remember?

~
      March 19, 2020 6:22 AM MDT

• Fess up, Pearl, you're a hoarder, ain't ya?! :P
      March 18, 2020 6:52 PM MDT

no, im not
      March 18, 2020 7:25 PM MDT

Hi, Pearl. Good to see you here again.

Experts in Australia estimate that Covid19 will take 6 months to reach its peak. That would probably mean at least a year for the virus to burn out and a degree of herd immunity to begin to become established.
    Australia is at the lower end of impact because we lept in and took strong precautions very early.

The USA took at least two weeks longer to publicly acknowledge the risks and begin to take nation-wide action.
    It has the third largest population of any country on the planet.
    It has only a very small public (free) health system - inadequate for the large numbers of people who cannot afford a doctor or a hosptital - many of whom are casual workers who cannot afford to take time off if they have symptoms of the virus.

All this means that in the States the pandemic could go on for much longer than elsewhere.

This post was edited by inky at March 19, 2020 6:01 PM MDT
      March 18, 2020 7:17 PM MDT

Australia is also at the lower end of the spectrum because it hit in our summer. Not respiratory illness season.
      March 19, 2020 2:14 AM MDT

Good point.
    Stanford University Hospital says the virus cannot survive above 80.6ºF (27ºC).
    That means that, as the Australian winter approaches, those who live from the middle to the south of the continent will be much more at risk.
      March 21, 2020 12:30 AM MDT

Obviously it can, because it survives very comfortably in a human host - core body temperature 98.6°F (37°C). However, like many opportunistic organisms, it travels in concert with other viruses which transmit by droplet infection (coughs/sneezes). Those are more prevalent in winter when the human immune system is at its lowest.
      March 21, 2020 3:55 AM MDT

You are very wise and wonderful and full of such common sense unbiased information....it's a shame you never took up politics and held some kind of power over the idiots that control most all of our lives...
    When will common sense prevail I wonder....:(
      March 19, 2020 6:07 PM MDT

Very flattering. But it's easy to be sensible when one has the leisure to think in this environment.
    My personality couldn't cope with the sharp blades between ribs and slip-falls into slimy pits that is politics.

People don't naturally take to me as a leader. I can step up when asked - when others put me there - but it has rarely happened.

I was the scapegoat in a primary school of 999 kids. In high school I learned how to survive socially by  blending in, outwardly appearing to be like the others. It had a high price; I knew that nobody really knew me and therefore the friendships I won were based on lies. I was horribly lonely on the inside and often escaped to the library and books to have time being myself - or out into the countryside for long walks.

It's not until very recently, at uni and meeting writers in my area, that I have, for the first time in my life, begun to feel at home.

A politician needs to be an extrovert, someone who adores meeting people and networking, and who has enough confidence to let flung mud slide off an oily back.

Oddly, I do have grandiose dreams of writing a social manifesto - something like Plato's Republic or The Laws, but without his theocratic and right-wing conservatism. It would be such a self-indulgence.

I say grandiose because who am I to write such a thing? There have been great philosophers who have already done most of the heavy lifting. It would end up being not an original work but a splicing together of John Stuart Mills, Simone de Beauvoir, Solzynitsyn, Edward de Bona, Peter Singer, Noam Chomsky and nurmerous others.
      March 21, 2020 12:46 AM MDT

Please don't put yourself down...I can't stand or trust glory hunters or any one that think they have god like rights to voice their oppinions over others and shout down any one who has a good inside of how things need to proceed to keep this world fit to live in peaceably......

It sicken me that all country leaders live the life of Riley at all others expense...
    How much money does one person need...Paper wealth has no woth at all if there is no food in the stores to spend it on...
    Yoy can own the morning st luxurious yacht in the world ,but if there is no fuel for it to burn and no one to crew it....it becomes the most expensive peice of junk and useless ...
    Shy or not....There need to be more non selfish people leafing our countries...common sense must always prevail over arrogance and bully boy tactics..  
      March 21, 2020 6:32 AM MDT

Thursday 2053.
      March 18, 2020 8:28 PM MDT

No one knows how long this will last and as far as not being able to do things, you are't the only one.  The rest of us are in the same boat.  If you can get on the Internet, you can amuse yourself playing games or watching free TV episodes.  You can read a book, you can take up cooking.  Instead of looking at what you can't do, why don't you try to focus on what you can do.
      March 18, 2020 9:34 PM MDT

Excellent to advice I think we all could observe and take to heart...help others by spreading the word to....:)
      March 19, 2020 6:10 PM MDT

When I think about the hardships and sacrifice our countries made during WWII, I am disheartened that we have become so soft that not being able to get a package of toilet paper is cause for endless complaints.  
      March 20, 2020 8:23 AM MDT

I think every counrty involved suffered hardships  including many of the German people that must or were against that war to......
    Excessive horders will have to live with what they have done for the rest of their lives....it something they daren't brag about as I'm sure many would want to exact some kind of retribution for the hardships they have forced onto others unnecessarily..
      March 20, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

And rightfully so.  The US doesn't import toilet paper, paper towels or tissues, so there's really no need to be hoarding that stuff.  Food could be a different story.  Bread is probably one of the things that goes first, but, again, it's made locally so if you don't get it today, you can try again tomorrow.  
      March 20, 2020 1:39 PM MDT

It's you and just about the whole world so make the most of it!  Cuddle up with Netflix and Hulu and start binge-watching your favorite shows while enjoying some nice tasty take-out or delivery!  Don't worry about it, I won't tell anyone.
      March 19, 2020 1:48 AM MDT

It has turned out to be a non-event of the first order down here. Five deaths, two of those in palliative care (dying already). Measured against NINE HUNDRED flu deaths last year (and that not even close to the record), I'm wondering if COVID-19 is a media-trasmitted disease whose main symptom is panic buying.
      March 19, 2020 2:17 AM MDT

Pearl, I know this is hard. It's happening to millions of people all over the world. By staying home and staying healthy, you are performing a good deed that will help the situation end sooner than it would otherwise. Every person that does not catch the virus is one less person to spread the virus to several others. There won't be enough resources to treat everyone that gets seriously ill (which is one in 100 infected), so each of us has the opportunity to do our part by staying away from others. Focus on the fact that you are being a good neighbor and a good citizen. How long it will last will depend in large part on the number of people who are willing to make a few sacrifices.
      March 19, 2020 4:13 AM MDT

Ran out of toilet roll, so reduced to wiping my bum with lettuce leaves. I fear this is just the tip of the iceberg....
      March 19, 2020 5:45 PM MDT