Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Finally, a new President. Any thoughts?

Finally, a new President. Any thoughts?

Posted - November 7, 2020

Responses

Relief! And apparently the rest of the world heaved a sigh of relief too.. I happened to be flipping through the news channels.. internationally.. .US, India, Africa, Europe, UK... a massive outpouring of relief and joy.. 

So many presidents and leaders falling over themselves to congratulate Biden and wanting to say how much they are looking forward to working with him.. 

He isn't perfect and he isn't keen on Brits for a start - but he is sane and reasoning.. and people can work with someone like that.. Trump - no one can work with all he does is brag, bluster and lie.. 
      November 7, 2020 12:23 PM MST

No biggie.  We get a new one every 4 to 8 years (it just seems like 100 years since we had a different one).

He will not be a "savior" or miracle worker.  The former president did a lot of damage (domestic and foreign), the virus won't magically disappear on January 20th, and "reuniting" this country may take quite some time.

Republicans will work against him (as both parties always do)

He's got his work cut out for him.  It ain't an easy job. 
      November 7, 2020 12:27 PM MST

i bet there will be another one in a year when biden is found unfit and they make Kamala prez 
      November 7, 2020 1:50 PM MST

Kamala Harris is even worse than Biden.
      November 7, 2020 2:42 PM MST

Please help me understand your reasoning---Just assume I am totally misinformed---How us she worse? (I notice she is shorter and blacker and she probably has more estrogen and less testosterone than Joe, but I don't think my observations are really relevant to your point.
      November 7, 2020 3:48 PM MST

exactly lol, people think they’re voting for Biden but in reality they’re voting for Kamala. i have been under the impression as well that many People on both sides don’t even like her that much so it shocks me how much they’re celebrating. they only care because of her ethnicity when really they should be worried about her politics which are questionable 
      November 7, 2020 5:41 PM MST

No thoughts until numbnutz is dragged out of the White House on Jan. 20th 2021.
      November 7, 2020 1:52 PM MST

Biden was declared President by the media not by any final ballot count. This isn't over by a long shot and the Democrats know it which is why they did this. The media doesn't choose the winner, the people do. The thing is though, Joe Biden is screwed if he wins and screwed if he loses. Screwed if he wins because the Republicans gained seats in the House and maintained a majority in the Senate. Biden is screwed if he loses because this whole fraudulent mail-in ballot fiasco will haunt Biden and the Democratic party until doomsday and they know this as well. The real victims and losers of this fraudulent election will be the citizens of this country. One of the things the citizens want is an honest election and they haven't gotten it.
      November 7, 2020 2:40 PM MST

Hmmm but FOX was the first to declare that Biden won.. others did then take it up.. but they are basing it on the voting counted and declared..  That IS kinda how it works.. voting is declared.. media reports it...   

My understanding is that they  declared Biden the winner as whatever happens now Trump cannot get enough votes to change the outcome..  it was clear all along, even to me who doesn't pretend to be an expert that once either side got 270 votes that would mean they had won.. Were you not given that information?

Oh and PS there's actually no evidence other than Trump and Trump supporter say so that there is fraud ..... If you ask me Trump bandying about slanderous claims about Biden's sons and thus trying, as he did in 2016 to influence the election - now that's pretty darned low.. and we DO have evidence of that! Including evidence that Trump tried to bribe Ukraine to accuse Hunter Biden.. 

Trump trying to collude to get postal votes lost/not counted... again 'that's' fraud! 
      November 7, 2020 2:54 PM MST

I love second opinions, especially when they posit the existence of closely parallel---but not necessarily congruent---worlds.

Personally, I love the concept of a geocentric universe, which actually can reasonably account for a number of the phenomena we continue to observe even today---e.g., the sun rises, the sun sets.

(Classical mechanics has many uses, even though quantum mechanics is a somewhat more eventually rewarding way of looking at things.)

---until you start to explore the requirements for interplanetary travel---at which point the assumption of a heliocentric planetary system provides much better results.
      November 7, 2020 3:36 PM MST

273 decided. There just aren't enough votes remaining for His Royal Orangeness to hang on to power, it just is NOT possible. Biden is on track to win more EC votes this election that Trump did in 2016 - and he's soundly trounced him on the popular vote.
    They also have not yet held on to a Senate majority,  unless they win the run-off in Georgia. Given that Raphael Warnock (D) had a massive lead over his nearest rival (though not enough to secure a majority), a GOP victory seems unlikely - so its 50-48-2, the Senate is "hung". This post was edited by Slartibartfast at November 8, 2020 2:06 AM MST
      November 8, 2020 1:04 AM MST

Unfortunately
    i fear the next step by Trump.
    He does not accept the vote. Half of America 
    support Trump and i fear he will start a civil war.
    He does not plan on leaving the white house,
    and the peoples vote be dammed, he has control
    being the dictator in charge and he will incite violence over democracy.
    I notice many, many businesses have boarded up their windows
    fearing the backlash.
    Biden might have won the vote
    but Trump has the power and half of America behind him.
    I fear the worst is yet to come.
      November 7, 2020 3:16 PM MST

November 7, 2020 3:37 PM MST

A retired general has gone on the record as saying the military is more than capable of ejecting trespassers from the WH.
      November 8, 2020 1:06 AM MST

Over here in Aus, 75% of Aussies are grateful and relieved that it's Biden.

When Biden re-signs the US to the Paris Accord on Climate Change, it will put strong pressure on our govt to start taking action on renewable energy.

With Biden, there is some chance that the US might join the Trans-Pacific trade deal. We would thus get more trade with the US and we would like that.

We don't know how things will go on issues with China. Probably Biden will continue Trump's policy on limiting Chinese trade, and increasing the naval presence in the South China Sea.
    That escalates the problems we already have with China - but there's no way around it.
    Like it or not, we've realised that we must trade less with and be less dependent on China because it is far too much of a bully and has been seeking to undermine our autonomy. We're not going to let them get away with it.
      November 7, 2020 8:16 PM MST

Thankful. 
      November 7, 2020 8:38 PM MST

Relief. Biden may well prove to be a poor President, but he's not the train wreck the current one is. If all he does is restore the ACA, the pandemic team and the environmental protections that Trump smashed, he'll have done as much as I expect of him.
      November 8, 2020 2:04 AM MST

I am cautiously optimistic.
      November 8, 2020 9:13 AM MST

Creepy Joe Biden? I remember the stories of him a few years back.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12867909/joe-biden-creepy-young-girls-dancing-beautiful/

This post was edited by kjames at November 9, 2020 1:07 PM MST
      November 8, 2020 10:42 AM MST

Biden is about to be 78 years old, he is 3 years older than I am.

Both of us were raised at a time when showing that we were really comfortable being around young children and enjoyed their presence and interacting with them could be one of the high points of our day---not unlike other such innocent and healthy instincts and pleasures as being around puppies and kittens.

Heck, we could even express verbally our approval of something a member of the opposite sex did, said, or wore without being accused of harassment---after all male and female are biological life's participation in that greater polarity of the universe:  masculine and feminine; and we were free to glory in our differences.  

And remember this from Matthew 19?---

13 Then the little children were brought to Jesus for Him to place His hands on them and pray for them. And the disciples rebuked those who brought them. 14 But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not hinder them! For the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these. 15 And after He had placed His hands on them, He went on from there.…
      November 8, 2020 1:11 PM MST

Don't tell me you watched these and were comfortable with how he acted and what he said. I'm in my late forties, and if my father or my late grandfather had of acted like this, it would creep me out.

Firstly, those children are not comfortable at all, they actually lean or move him away. I would not stroke someone else's children like this, and I certainly wouldn't let a stranger touch my children like this.  And when I was a child, I wouldn't have wanted some creepy old strange man breathing over me, kissing me,  grabbing my arm, stroking my hair, face and arms, holding my hands and waist, and whispering in my ear, I was taught that family members are ok, anyone else is a stranger, and as such you expect certain boundaries to apply, depending on your relationship, and my mother would NEVER of allowed this. In one clip he actually asks if he can have a photo taken alone with the child. Would you be asking eleven and six year olds if they are seventeen? What is that about? And to be telling children not to date until they are thirty, children don't even think that way. 

Secondly, the way he grabs women, is also not ok, and also where he touches them, but unlike the children,  they are old enough to just slap him. 

As a woman watching this, I trust how it makes me feel, and it makes my skin crawl.

Matthew 18:6 “But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

This post was edited by kjames at November 9, 2020 1:12 PM MST
      November 8, 2020 3:18 PM MST

I don't see how Matthew 18:16 is relevant---unless you are suggesting that those children are sinners---Perhaps Matthew 7:1, "Judge not lest ye be judged is more relevant."

But let's call a halt to throwing bible verses at each other. Whether Biden acts "creepily" or is "creepy" is a judgment and not a matter of fact.---and it is your choice to interpret his actions negatively when he interacts with others in various circumstances.

I hope you do not think that parents and / or women are powerless to put any problems that you think might arise from such encounters to rest.
      November 9, 2020 12:10 PM MST

Better translation: Matthew 18:6 King James Version (KJV). 6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Offend meaning....To cause a believing child to doubt their belief in God. 
      November 9, 2020 1:36 PM MST

Regardless of my choice, I think Karol Marcowicz has some helpful ideas for all of us. As I've observed people around me, in person, on social media, radio, television, etc., for the last several months, I think all of us would do well to consider her words. Marcowicz has summed up my thoughts that I've had for the last three months. I'll let her share my same thoughts:

There’s a good chance your presidential candidate will lose on Tuesday. It doesn’t matter if you support Donald Trump or Joe Biden, your chance of disappointment is approximately the same. You hear people on your side wonder: What will we do if our guy loses?

Here’s what you will do.

You will wake up the next day, or whenever the results are finally confirmed, and be sad. You will feel let down. You thought you knew your fellow Americans and then they went and did this! How could they?

There will be a chorus of voices telling you America is over. Articles will be written and talking heads will be on your television saying America has never been in such a dark place before. You know a little history, enough to be suspicious of these statements, but you’re so disillusioned you’re inclined to believe them. Don’t. We have been through worse and we have survived.

Don't act like the country is ending 

You will hear conspiracy theories. It was the Russians who fixed the election — even though our Electoral College system makes that very difficult. You will hear that busloads of illegal voters were seen arriving at polling places, though photographs are mysteriously never produced. 

Mixed in will be true stories of voting irregularities, the kind that exist in every free system that has ever been. We must work to fix those holes. Our system is imperfect, so people will try to shake your faith in it. Don’t let them.

You will wonder what to tell your children. Tell them that they live in the best, freest country in history and that these are the breaks. Explain that America will continue, America will prosper. Work to make sure America continues and prospers. Walk the walk of loving your country, even when it doesn’t vote your way. Don’t discuss moving to Canada. No one is moving to Canada.

A voting location on Oct. 27, 2020, in Lowell, Massachusetts.

You will shun violence, and you will condemn anyone on your side who does not support a peaceful transition. You will not make excuses. A free country cannot abide rioters in our streets when things don’t go their way.

You will not unfriend people who voted for a different candidate, nor will you post a status asking them to unfriend you. You will save ending friendships for serious infractions of conduct, not varying political opinions.

It’s hard when the candidate you wanted to win loses an election. I’ve worked on campaigns and know the pain of not getting the result I desperately wanted. My candidate was going to change things for the better while their candidate was going to make things worse! My candidate cared and their candidate didn't! I’ve felt this deeply. I’ve lost sleep over politicians losing elections. Life has to go on. As a country we cannot stay suspended and divided by politics.

And, yes, it is politics. Yes, you feel the future of the republic is on the line. You feel your cause is just and their cause is not. You want good and they want bad. Yes, that’s politics.

Family, friends, neighbors, co-workers 

We’ve caricatured our political opponents, but all around you are normal people who support the candidate you oppose. They are your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers. Look at them anew and recognize they aren’t monsters. If you’ve spent the past four years demonizing the other side, now is the time to reflect on the fact that they, too, want what is best for America. In fact, there are few Americans who don’t want the country to succeed. Reject those people and engage with the ones who love this country but want it to walk a different path.

Do not paint yourself into a corner where the only people you understand are the ones who support the same candidate you do. That’s a very limiting way to live. There’s a wide world out there, and people have many reasons for making the political choices they make. Don’t assume the worst of people who make different choices than you do.

Hidden Common Ground: We found that Americans are more united than it appears

Most of all, do not imagine that one man stands in the way of America’s destruction and if your fellow Americans don’t choose that man, all is lost. America’s entire design is that we do not rely on one person to save us.

Continue to fight for what you care about, but do not lose your perspective. If you woke up an American today, you’re already luckier than the great majority of people in history. One election can’t change that.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 8, 2020 7:59 PM MST
      November 8, 2020 5:49 PM MST