Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » How does a police officer mistake a taser for a pistol?

How does a police officer mistake a taser for a pistol?

Report is that the officer in the most recent killing of Daunte Wright, 20, in Minnesota thought she pulled her taser, but it was her gun.  

Tasers

Pistols:  Sig Sauer, Glock 19 and Glock Gen 4

Posted - April 12, 2021

Responses

I know but that is not who Spunky and I were referring to above. 
      April 14, 2021 1:12 PM MDT

I don’t know how it happens, but the how really needs to be figured out and addressed so that it absolutely can’t happen.  Police offers are supposed to keep their gun on their dominant-handed side and their taser on the opposite side so they don’t mess it up, but apparently that doesn’t work.  It’s still an accident waiting to happen, but it’s an accident that’s already happened several times before.  In fact, Daunte Wright was the 13th death from a police taser-gun mix-up in the USA since 2001.

April 13, 2021 7:22 PM MDT

It wasn't a mix up, you don't rapid tap a taser trigger. Ergo, she KNEW what she was holding. Had to.
      April 14, 2021 4:23 AM MDT

Where is the evidence that she shot twice?
    Watching and listening to the video...it is clear she meant to use the tazer. 

April 14, 2021 4:59 AM MDT

I didn’t know that about taser triggers.  I’ve fired guns, but I’ve never touched a taser or seen one in person.  If the trigger’s completely different, then that should‘ve been a huge clue to those officers that they had their guns in their hands instead of their tasers.  That makes this a lot worse.
      April 14, 2021 9:16 AM MDT

He/she doesn't. It was just an excuse...................DUH!!!
      April 14, 2021 7:27 AM MDT

Maybe the simple answer to the question is racisum  because racisum and hate can cloud a persons mind and put them in a dark  place. Cheers!
      April 14, 2021 8:31 AM MDT

(racisum racism)
     (persons person’s)

April 14, 2021 8:38 PM MDT

What do you want for nothing? A rubber biscuit?
      April 14, 2021 8:42 PM MDT

After watching the video on the news tonight, you can see that Potter's taser was YELLOW, get when she held out her arms to shoot, she had a BLACK gun.  Is the color blind?  How is it that she didn't realize that what she held in her hands was not her taser?
      April 14, 2021 9:45 PM MDT

That would be why she resigned and was arrested on a manslaughter charge.
      April 15, 2021 6:16 AM MDT

Can you imagine - she was training another officer that day.  Well, at least the newbie knows what NOT to do.
      April 15, 2021 7:35 AM MDT

No mistake 
      April 15, 2021 12:04 PM MDT

Being a former police officer myself, I'll try to tackle this question. Yes, the training that some police receive is shoddy at best and definitely needs to be changed. That said, most training that cadets receive is quite good. Under most circumstances, this training will lend to a professional and peaceful solution out on the street.

However, under certain circumstances, especially when the officer is under a lot of duress,  even the good training they have will sometimes falter and it's inevitable that mistakes will be made. There's no such thing as human perfection at any level regardless of what you do for a living. Mistakes can be and are made.  That's why they always have an investigation after every incident to determine what really happened.

Unless a person is placed into situations that many police officers are, they can't begin to understand what happens to one's mental state at that moment of crisis. Many officers are exposed to death and mayhem on a daily basis. That's a huge mental strain. Some can't handle that, especially when children are involved, and they will sometimes quit the force. Some may develop PTSD. And some commit suicide.

Training is very necessary but training, no matter how good it is, cannot and will not always prepare you for every circumstance that may happen on a given day. I may be repeating myself but, are there bad cops? Absolutely and they need to be removed immediately. Are there good cops? Absolutely. Most are. Unfortunately, far too many people focus on the few bad cops and come to the conclusion that all cops are bad.

And the media stokes this "all cops are bad" fire with their erroneous, incomplete, incompetent reporting and outright lies. The media rarely investigates "all" of facts leading up to an incident. They instead focus on the outcome, especially if this outcome may put the cops in a bad light. Sadly there are a lot of people who simply believe everything the media says instead of investigating it for themselves to make sure what the media says is true or false.
      April 17, 2021 12:58 PM MDT

You are correct on all points.  I have seen brain farts that have caused massive problems because of the stress of the situation.  So I find the explanation believable, horrible, albeit believable.
      April 17, 2021 1:21 PM MDT