Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Education » Did your school have sex education classes?

Did your school have sex education classes?

I was educated in the public school system of San Francisco (California) from 1955 to 1968.  There was no sex education classes.  

Posted - September 29, 2021

Responses

Yes it did
      September 29, 2021 4:26 PM MDT

• Yes, we did. I went to Sacramento public schools from 1997 to 2010. Sex ed began in 5th grade and continued through 8th grade, though by 8th grade it was more about health and drugs and teen issues than sex specifically. 
      September 29, 2021 4:40 PM MDT

No.
      September 29, 2021 4:55 PM MDT

Not at all but one time in high school the teacher brought a 'sex ed'  film to class for age 15 and up. I couldn't attend because I was 14. The kids who saw it said it was dumb and boring.

Us farm kids didn't need sex ed,  just hang around the barnyard during mating season, you kind of get the idea.

It was fun when our young city cousins were visiting: "look what the bull is doing! Why is he doing THAT!?"
      September 29, 2021 7:42 PM MDT

nah...we already knew that stuff.
      September 29, 2021 8:37 PM MDT

I went to school from 1950 to 1963 and we didn't have sex education (or sex) in any of my schools.
      September 29, 2021 9:36 PM MDT

Yes. it was required in high school.  Unfortunately, it wasn't a hands on class (more like hands off).  Believe it or not, 2 guys actually failed the class.

September 29, 2021 9:46 PM MDT

Sixth and seventh grade.
      September 30, 2021 4:14 AM MDT

if that's what you want to call it, but I'd hardly consider it sex Ed. It was mostly "don't have sex, pregnant, STD, ABSTINENCE" 
      September 30, 2021 11:42 AM MDT

Not really.  I went to a parochial school from kindergarten through 8th grade, so our sex ed classes weren’t that much beyond cartoon characters noticing changes and telling us not to do it until we got married, and definitely don’t do it with a member of the same sex.  Yeah, that was really important to them.  I went to a public school for high school, but the more detailed parts of sex ed that the public school kids were taught was already covered in middle school.  That wasn’t a huge problem for me, because growing up on a farm, I already knew the mechanics of it from mating farm animals.  The only sex education I ever had from my dad was “You understand how animals mate, well humans are also animals so it works the same way with us.” This post was edited by Livvie at October 1, 2021 10:05 AM MDT
      September 30, 2021 12:17 PM MDT

Yes, but I skipped that year.  This post was edited by Malizz at October 3, 2021 8:16 AM MDT
      September 30, 2021 2:51 PM MDT

I think we had a chapter on in health class in Freshman year in high school.
      October 1, 2021 5:54 AM MDT

When I was in school they didn't have sex education classes. Health class yes, but no sex education classes. Our school system felt that it was the parents place to handle that responsibility.
      October 1, 2021 6:43 AM MDT

(parents parents’ place)

October 1, 2021 6:49 AM MDT

How correct you are. Thank you. :)
      October 1, 2021 6:59 AM MDT

Yes, I can’t remember if it was fifth or sixth grade, but I do remember it was a one-day session on a Friday lasting from the lunch hour until the end of the school day. It was called some boring, innocuous title such as “Family Health Training” or “Life Planning Course”, but of course, all of the students called it sex education. I believe it may have been the first year it was offered, and that in turn, it may have been experimental in nature.

About a week prior to it, we had had to take a permission slip home to get parents to sign for or against our attendance. A sealed booklet marked “For Parents Only” was sent along with the permission slip, it explained which topics would be covered and how the course would be facilitated. That night, I heard my mother and stepfather discussing it in hushed tones, and I was absolutely sure that my mother would be against it, she surprised me completely by giving her consent.

The big to-do between the students for the next week was whose parents had or had not given permission, lots of teasing and making fun of each other took place on both sides of it, immature joking and childish innuendo.

On D-Day, right after lunch, students whose parents had opted out were all gathered in the auditorium and shown a couple of movies for the three hours. For the rest of us, a woman and a man from the Health Department addressed the class, introduced themselves and told us they would be giving the courses. I was surprised, I thought our own teacher would do it. Then they separated us, all the girls in one classroom and all the boys in another.  As we broke off into these two groups, more teasing, joking and giggling took place.

Entering the boys’ classroom, there were visual aids, charts, diagrams and two life-sized anatomy displays, one female and one male, but all of these items covered up at first so we didn’t see them until they were presented in turn. Outside of the presence of teachers who knew us, and on the presence of what to us was effectively a substitute teacher, we were wild and boisterous. The man from the Health Dept was by no means a teacher, and his biggest battle was controlling the class of eager yet utterly immature boys to calm down and take it seriously. He started with male puberty, then the differences between the genders, the reproductive systems, intercourse, fertilization, the stages of pregnancy. We found out later that the girls received female puberty, differences between the genders, the reproductive systems, mensuration, intercourse, fertilization, the stages of pregnancy, childbirth/labor, and breastfeeding.

When the course was over three hours later, instead of returning to our classroom, we were released from school to go straight home. That was intentional on the part of the school board and the health department, I guess they considered the course so transformative that we would need to unwind or something. The very first thing that happened as we left the building was the boys grilled the girls on what they had learned and the girls grilled the boys on what we had learned.  I remember thinking of it as some sort of rite of passage, the knowledge that had been bestowed on us really changed us from boys and girls to men and women (little did I know how wrong I was).
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at October 1, 2021 11:41 AM MDT
      October 1, 2021 7:39 AM MDT

No. When I was a kid, the Annunaki had yet to refine that part of the process.
      October 3, 2021 7:42 AM MDT