Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you still have a landline telephone?

Do you still have a landline telephone?

Posted - January 23, 2022

Responses

Internet connection.
      ~

January 23, 2022 10:30 PM MST

Uh . . . muscling in on that guy sounds fun . . .
      January 24, 2022 3:28 AM MST

YUP! A $15 phone that's served me well.
      January 23, 2022 8:05 PM MST

• No
      January 24, 2022 1:33 AM MST

Yes.
    It's my other phone.
      January 24, 2022 3:24 AM MST

Not since my kids were teenagers, and rang up a four figure phone bill calling their mates' mobiles from it.
      January 25, 2022 5:31 AM MST

(four-figure)

January 25, 2022 8:54 AM MST

Yes!  It’s in the downstairs closet with the old NTSC TV, the VCR and the old computer with the hard drive, keyboard and mouse.  My lunchbox from elementary school is down there with them.  It still has the really cool thermos that came with it.  

There are also some Christmas presents down there from people in my family who unfortunately don’t have a knack for picking out great gifts, but we told them we really liked their presents anyway.  

If you ever thought ”I’ve noticed she never wears…” when picking out a gift, you should probably move on to something else unless you want it to stay in the downstairs closet next to the old landline phone.
      January 26, 2022 8:58 PM MST

this is why I give people gift cards lol
      January 26, 2022 9:18 PM MST

To Tim Horton's?
      January 27, 2022 8:52 AM MST

Yes.
      January 27, 2022 5:31 AM MST

Yes.

A modern one with number buttons, but as I use a PC for a lot more than just chatting or looking at bus time-tables it makes sense for me to have a broadband Internet + telephone service.

I have a portable telephone too but it's a basic, voice primary, text secondary instrument on PAYG, and not connected to the Internet.

Apparently BT (my provider) is planning to install optical-fibre cables right to everyone's home in the next few years. That might please the gadget-conscious demanding every last Gb/s data speed for their Alexas or whatever. They don't consider though the question I'd like to ask: will that mean having to replace my landline 'phone with one powered from the house mains and left permanently switched on so I don't miss calls? In practice I probably would switch it off at night or when I am out. However, apart from the low but continual electricity consumption it enforces, that would also remove the measure of protection from power-cuts given by the present system, in which the line is powered from the exchange. Luckily, so far at least, power-cuts are rare in my part of the country and usually of quite short duration.

(Actually my portable 'phone spends more time switched off than on, and I don't carry it with me everywhere I go!) 
      February 7, 2022 4:42 PM MST