Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Do you have traffic roundabouts where you live? I hate those tthings.

Do you have traffic roundabouts where you live? I hate those tthings.

Posted - September 4, 2022

Responses

We currently have 3 of them (with more in the plans). 

The genius who designed them must have been stoned at the time.

The first one they put in is up by the college.  It's so narrow that it barely accommodates a semi.  Plus, people kept going straight through it, so they had to raise the curbs on the center island. 

The second one they installed is just outside of town and has 2 lanes.   The south entrance comes in off the freeway.  Thanks to CalTrans they're coming in on a  very SHORT exit.  Traffic coming in from that direction is doing 60, while traffic in the circle is going around 30 or so (the speed limit is 15).  They also installed a southbound side lane so traffic going in that direction  could simply bypass the roundabout altogether (at 45 mph).  Of course, they still have to "merge" with traffic coming out of the circle, but now at a completely blind angle. Did I mention that the crap they put in the center island (mining equipment) blocks all view of traffic coming into the circle?

The third one is on the "dead" edge of a shopping center.  It's less than half the size of the one by the college, and is simply lines painted on the road.  the hope that people will simply follow it.  They don't.

You're right.  People can't even drive in a straight line... unless, of course, they're entering a roundabout.  Then suddenly they can drive straight.  It keeps the local tow truck company in business.  
      September 4, 2022 3:57 PM MDT

Yikes!
      December 7, 2022 5:31 PM MST

We are getting more and more of them, but I don't understand why. Maybe it's just me, but it feels like I have no way of knowing what other cars are going to do and I don't see how that can be safer or more efficient. 
      September 4, 2022 5:26 PM MDT

Yes, I feel a similar general reaction - - not knowing what other drivers/cars are going to do.

And with SO many cars in my area sporting "darkly-tinted" windows, I also can not see any drivers or humans at all in any vehicles.  :)

Window Tint: How dark is too dark?
      September 4, 2022 7:02 PM MDT

MnDOT absolutely LOVES roundabouts.  They just can’t build enough new ones.
      September 4, 2022 7:17 PM MDT

It's to the point where I can't avoid them any more. I'm hoping that I and the other drivers learn to use them. It just seems like there's too much traffic for them to work properly. 
      September 4, 2022 8:59 PM MDT

We have 3.  They claim they reduce wrecks. 
      September 4, 2022 5:38 PM MDT

What the DOT thinks: They reduce wrecks by slowing down traffic.

What drivers think: Quick!  Speed up so I can beat that other car into the roundabout so I don’t have to stop and wait for him!
      September 4, 2022 8:06 PM MDT

I have never encountered a race to the circle.  I am fine with the single lanes....they should never have more than one...it is dangerous. I avoid that one. 
      December 7, 2022 6:59 AM MST

We do.  We have quite a few and I love them.  If no traffic no need to stop like you would for a stop sign or traffic light.  Sitting for four minutes at 10 PM when there isn't another car in sight has always made me crazy.   Roundabouts keep the traffic moving. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at September 5, 2022 7:19 AM MDT
      September 4, 2022 6:03 PM MDT

I hope I might get to the point of liking them, too. :)
      September 4, 2022 7:00 PM MDT

I would just run the red light.
      September 5, 2022 7:20 AM MDT

We're getting one!

but . . . 

I'm with you. At this point, I hate them, too.
      September 4, 2022 6:59 PM MDT

There’s one in my area.  On Wednesday, a semi overturned while going through it.  I’m not a fan of roundabouts, but the one in my area is on the city’s bypass so it’s way better than driving through the construction zone in town.  

They took out the traffic signals in the construction zone and replaced them with four-way stops just so the drivers who have the right-of-way can create an awkward situation by just sitting there and staring at the other drivers waiting for them to move.  Now I just avoid that construction zone.

September 4, 2022 7:24 PM MDT

Nope.
      September 4, 2022 8:00 PM MDT

I don't think NYC has them - certainly not anywhere I've driven, but I understand NJ loves them.
      September 4, 2022 9:36 PM MDT

I got trapped in one in New Jersey.
      September 5, 2022 7:22 AM MDT

I'm pretty sure you aren't the only one to whom that's happened.  I don't drive in NJ except on the turnpike when I go to PA.
      September 5, 2022 9:47 AM MDT

Zillions. One of Adelaide's is a double - frankly dangerous because it's confusing. I've avoided it for years after being almost clobbered twice there.
      September 4, 2022 10:53 PM MDT

Living in the country that invented them way back in the mid-20C (1930s?) I'm used to them.

We had two perfectly good roundabouts on the main road through our town, one with lovely shrubs and flowers on it; but in the run-up to the part we hosted of the 2012 Olympics they were needlessly swept away and replaced by enormous traffic-light controlled junctions that are far worse and potentially more dangerous. In fact one set of lights had to be re-timed after many complaints and near-misses, and some actual accidents.

Properly designed and properly used (and I have used them in France and Norway as well as the UK, so have known the anti-clockwise ones) they are simple and efficient; but some can be confusing, depending on the approach roads.

The classic ill-design by some theoretician who probably never had to use it, was in a sprawling new development in the Wiltshire town of Swindon. I say "was" because I do not know if it still exists. The central disc was not much larger than that in Sirena's second photo, but it was surrounded by a ring of similar mini-roundabouts. It was so strange and confusing it was rapidly nick-named 'The Magic Roundabout' after that rather surreal French TV children's show popular on British TV at the time.   

The smaller one of Sirena's examples is similar to those common in British towns, where it turns an ordinary cross-roads or T-junction into a roundabout to aid traffic flows where one of the roads is often busy.
      September 11, 2022 3:07 PM MDT

Also known as traffic circles. They are common everywhere, including here in NYC. Why are you making a big deal about them?
      September 17, 2022 6:13 AM MDT

I was wondering that. I think they are only called "traffic circles" in the USA, and evidently not universally; but reading between the lines of others' posts it seems most of the dislike stems from too many motorists not using them properly, or trying to beat the queue, so you can't predict their movements. 

It is bad though when the planning theoreticians turn what should be a simple roundabout into a confusing mess. One I used a few days ago even has a lane through its centre, with the whole lot controlled by lights. The advance sign's "map" of it looks very peculiar.

Or they rip it all up and replace it with a mass of traffic-lights and lanes across half an acre of asphalt; far more difficult and dangerous to negotiate, especially at night when the lanes and exits are a lot less clearly visible.
      December 6, 2022 3:00 PM MST

That’s exactly it.  In the US, the first one into roundabout has priority so drivers just gun it before the roundabout just to make sure they beat everybody else into it.  Also, no turn signals are ever used so we never know where the driver in the roundabout plans to exit which causes a delay for traffic waiting to enter.
      December 6, 2022 9:28 PM MST

In the Midwest, traffic circles and roundabouts are not the same thing.  I think the definitions are regional.
      December 6, 2022 9:30 PM MST